War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Stock LS1 vs Infiniboosted SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only 2009+ wrx I could find on nasioc that did a 12.9 did it in a NEGATIVE da, something like -500ft, so it's not something that is likely to be duplicated, except from time to time in these perfect conditions. The LNF won't really have any advantage in similar conditions, because of our load based engine management.

Also LOL at your rally statement in one of your previous post. Like if a stock wrx would do any good in rally racing, with it's open differentials.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:38 PM

^ itll do a lot better than a ss/tc. thats what i was trying to prove.

and that specific guy i actually know, he ran at cecil dragway. i live in reston VA, its less than an hour from my house. ive been a bunch of times.

Last edited by restonSS; 03-29-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-29-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by restonSS

and that specific guy i actually know, he ran at cecil dragway. i live in reston VA, its less than an hour from my house. ive been a bunch of times.
Just like a ss/tc should do better than a wrx on a real race track. But anyway, fanbois are stupid and everyone should know and understand the limits of their car. Saying fwd is better than awd on the drag strip is borderline retarded, sorry.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jb09ss
Just like a ss/tc should do better than a wrx on a real race track. But anyway, fanbois are stupid and everyone should know and understand the limits of their car. Saying fwd is better than awd on the drag strip is borderline retarded, sorry.
WHAT!?!? i never said fwd is better than awd on the drag strip, that is hhrssouth. im disagreeing with him and trying to refute his claim!

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Of course not, RWD is where its at.
I said FWD in the 1/4 mile is better then AWD all things equal.
I think you people keep missing that last part for the sake of arguing.

1/8th mile is where AWD really shines, no time to catch up.

Whoa there restonSS, I never said anything about rwd or any other racing other then AWD vs. FWD in the 1/4.
here you go; hhrssouth trying to defend fwd in the 1/4 mile.

Last edited by restonSS; 03-29-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-29-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to argue or anything, but I am going to put the stock tune back in the car and see what it runs with slicks. I personally dont think it would even pull a 13.0 on stock parts. I know its on slicks and all, but it can at least put this to reat when stock and slicks it wont even run a 12.9.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:49 PM

restonSS, I know you never said that fwd was better than awd, I did not wanted to mention names...

Cmiller, maybe you could run a 13 flat with slicks, but only by tricking the ecm. Disconnecting the battery, with a negative da could maybe give enough airflow to get a solid run without the ecm compensating for it before then end of the run. This way we could be on a level playing field with the wrx and it's boost target that the ecm tries to reach.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
Not to argue or anything, but I am going to put the stock tune back in the car and see what it runs with slicks. I personally dont think it would even pull a 13.0 on stock parts. I know its on slicks and all, but it can at least put this to reat when stock and slicks it wont even run a 12.9.
when i say this im not saying it in a jerk manner. Id really like it if you returned it to the stock to from teh factory and ran with slicks; im curious as to what it would run in the 1/4, in the 1/8th and trap. hey, if you nail a 12.99 with stock tune and slicks only i swear ill shut up and eat my words and give you props bc youd deserve it.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM

ok, awd vs fwd, amx just proved you wrong in that matter and also included proof to show you. so youre still wrong if you think awd is better than fwd for 1/4 racing. ill ask my question again and hopefully youll answer this time. How many street legal fwd cars run a sub 10 second quarter mile and how many street legal awd car run a sub 10 second quarter mile? the difference is astronomical in awd favor. now youre just making yourself look silly.
What did he prove, how are we to know that the mods are all equal along with whp/wtq? There are some fwd cars running the same turbo as an awd and faster in the 1/4 mile.

Like i said all things being EQUAL

WTF is up with this street legal crap, you keep adding **** to the conversation. I said way back when we were talking about my Van that you can built monster AWD DD (daily driver).
Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 PM

What did he prove, how are we to know that the mods are all equal along with whp/wtq? There are some fwd cars running the same turbo as an awd and faster in the 1/4 mile.

WTF is up with this street legal crap, you keep adding **** to the conversation. I said way back when we were talking about my Van that you can built monster AWD DD (daily driver).
yeah a daily driver monster is still a DD and therefore STREET LEGAL. dude, look, even your beloved cobalt ss forum members are agreeing with me. so give up. awd > fwd for drag racing.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 PM

when i say this im not saying it in a jerk manner. Id really like it if you returned it to the stock to from teh factory and ran with slicks; im curious as to what it would run in the 1/4, in the 1/8th and trap. hey, if you nail a 12.99 with stock tune and slicks only i swear ill shut up and eat my words and give you props bc youd deserve it.
It will be all stock but exhaust and I am only trying once.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
It will be all stock but exhaust and I am only trying once.
i mean thats fine because the stock tune has the learndown thing right? so it would matter if you were fully bolted youd still make the same numbers i thought.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM

i mean thats fine because the stock tune has the learndown thing right? so it would matter if you were fully bolted youd still make the same numbers i thought.
yes.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Your logic is awful at best. You can't have everything equal, the car that is AWD will always have more traction. If you add slicks to the FWD car to try and reach the traction ability of AWD then you're adding an advantage on 1 car that you're not giving to the other, placing a handicap on the AWD car and not being equal...

Not to mention, you'll never get the same power curve at the wheels with both setups because the AWD car would require slightly more power at the crank to achieve the same WHP as the FWD car. So that can't be equal either.

Your fantasyworld comparison is that of a starry eyed fanboi. FWD is gonna get slapped silly in the 1/4 mile by AWD 99% of the time with comparable power levels.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:33 PM

^ and thank youuuu very much!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

Besides, if "everthing is equal" then the cars would run identicle times! What's the variable???

If the only variable is AWD vs FWD then the AWD car is gonna launch harder and stay out infront. If they have identicle gearing, power curve, and weight, it would be physically impossible for the FWD car to pull back.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:43 PM

kevin garnett+ ADIDAS= anything is possible.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:45 PM

i never said fwd has no place at the drag strip. hhrssouth said fwd is BETTER for drag racing then rwd or awd. im simply refuting that. anyone is welcome to the track, fwd is just the worst of the 3 drivetrains to drag with. i knew that when i had my ss/sc.
I'm saying FWD has no place at a drag strip. There are so many better tools for the function. If you really want a car that will shine at the drag strip, you bought the wrong bowtie...
Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
Saw Pookie go dead even with a 106mph stock LS1 Camaro. What happend?
His car must have a bad tune. I put 3 cars on a stock LS1 camaro.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM

Chris Rado fastest FWD quarter mile time at 6.94 in his Scion tC. 2009

John Shepherd AWD quarter mile time at 7.70

Anyone going faster in a AWD in the 1/4? (<---being serious, everything I dig up has shepard as the fastest awd car in the 1/4 mile).

Ok I did find this posted: "im pretty sure worlds fastest awd goes to the dsm's. doing 6.97 1/4 on the 4g63", but it doesn't say by who, any how the fwd car is still faster.

Where's my haters at?

Just for you restonSS, Ali Afshar’s Subaru – the world’s quickest and fastest Subaru -1/4-mile in 8.9 seconds

Last edited by HHRSSouth; 03-29-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

Chris Rado fastest FWD quarter mile time at 6.94 in his Scion tC. 2009

John Shepherd AWD quarter mile time at 7.70

Anyone going faster in a AWD in the 1/4? (<---being serious, everything I dig up has shepard as the fastest awd car in the 1/4 mile).

Ok I did find this posted: "im pretty sure worlds fastest awd goes to the dsm's. doing 6.97 1/4 on the 4g63", but it doesn't say by who, any how the fwd car is still faster.

Where's my haters at?

Just for you restonSS, Ali Afshar’s Subaru – the world’s quickest and fastest Subaru -1/4-mile in 8.9 seconds
So you're comparing this;

Tubular chasis, plastic body, fully built from the ground up race car, with 3ft tall tires.

To this;

DSM with slicks and a lot of power...

Way to go, you just gave even more proof that AWD > FWD, and you didn't even know it.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM

^ hahaha this gets funnier and funnier as he tries to prove himself. again; hhrssouth STREET LEGAL is what i said. that dsm looks street legal, that scion tc is not lol, thanks for proving me right.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 PM

So you're comparing this;

Tubular chasis, plastic body, fully built from the ground up race car, with 3ft tall tires.

To this;

DSM with slicks and a lot of power...

Way to go, you just gave even more proof that AWD > FWD, and you didn't even know it.
Thats not his car, can you not see Brent L. on the driver window?

Looking street legal and being street legal are 2 different things, just because it looks street legal doesn't mean it would be streetable.

Stop trying to avoid the obvious which is there is no AWD car faster then that FWD car I posted. Unless you post a AWD that is faster I proved my point FWD > AWD in 1/4 mile.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Your logic is awful at best. You can't have everything equal, the car that is AWD will always have more traction. If you add slicks to the FWD car to try and reach the traction ability of AWD then you're adding an advantage on 1 car that you're not giving to the other, placing a handicap on the AWD car and not being equal...

Not to mention, you'll never get the same power curve at the wheels with both setups because the AWD car would require slightly more power at the crank to achieve the same WHP as the FWD car. So that can't be equal either.

Your fantasyworld comparison is that of a starry eyed fanboi. FWD is gonna get slapped silly in the 1/4 mile by AWD 99% of the time with comparable power levels.
that would be why when comparing "all things equal" you'd be talking crank horsepower... because the AWD eats up a lot of WHEEL hp, which is what HHRSSouth is saying...

if you take a turbo DSM, one that is fwd and one that is AWD and give them the same mods, with an apt driver, the fwd would win THROUGH THE 1/4... no doubt the AWD will get off the line better, but its going to be down 20whp or so, the more you mod, seems to be the more the AWD drivetrain eats

now at the end of the day, the problem is going to be getting traction to the fwd car, but with enough power, the AWD drivetrain is going to let go as well

and I don't think anyone is arguing against RWD being king of the strip
Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 PM

I am not even talking street, if there was an NHRA division for all wheel drive cars they would be knocking on the 5's I bet.... But because there isn't you have Joe the plumber with his performance shop less then 8 tenths away from a factory backed FWD performance team on a national drag racing circuit. As Slo said, you owned your self and didn't even know it.

You talk about what ifs and all things being equal, what do you think would happen if there was a Factory backed NHRA team for AWD cars???

I will give you credit though that at the moment pure numbers wise a FWD car is technically faster then a AWD car through the 1/4, but then again see my statement up top...

All things given equal if you were running two identical 150 HP 15 second cars just one FWD and one AWD, yes the FWD would be able to come back on the big end as there isn't so much power to blow the tires off and find it self in too big of a hole. But anything faster then say a 13 second car with the same terms as above the awd car will always win the 1/4 race and it only gets worse as the power levels increase. Same reason a manual loses more ground with the higher the hp levels compared to an auto. Now as Sho also pointed out earlier there are so many variables if you want to make things equal it isn't even funny. Are you talking slicks on the FWD car to create equal traction? Same exact power levels to the T? Gearing? Areodynamics, ect...

In conclusion if you honestly think FWD is faster then AWD across the board in a 1/4 mile race then you are clearly out side the learning curve when it comes to cars, and I bet I could explain to a 7 year old the basics with two hot wheels and he could even tell me which is faster...

Tyler

And Bama, don't you be jumping on that bandwagon as I had more respect for you then that and thought you knew better, and don't make me bring up the Utes... Haha
Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
that would be why when comparing "all things equal" you'd be talking crank horsepower... because the AWD eats up a lot of WHEEL hp, which is what HHRSSouth is saying...

if you take a turbo DSM, one that is fwd and one that is AWD and give them the same mods, with an apt driver, the fwd would win THROUGH THE 1/4... no doubt the AWD will get off the line better, but its going to be down 20whp or so, the more you mod, seems to be the more the AWD drivetrain eats

now at the end of the day, the problem is going to be getting traction to the fwd car, but with enough power, the AWD drivetrain is going to let go as well

and I don't think anyone is arguing against RWD being king of the strip

Thank you, finally someone that understands what the hell I was originally talking about.

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 vs Infiniboosted SS/TC