War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Word to the wise... Do not try and race an Evo VIII!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Domestics Pwn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phxSS
Evo's look like $15k cars. You guys couldn't sit here and tell me (pretended you had no idea what an Evo could do) that you could look at that car and say "man, that looks like an expensive car."

For example, G35's LOOK like what they cost, TL's LOOK like what they cost, etc..but NOT an Evo.

Line that car up with a Cobra, G35, 350Z, BMW 330i, and tell me it looks like it would be in their class.
I think Evo's look sick ! The front end on them looks awesome. Your probably right though.. its doesn't look like a 35k car (Neither does a C-Class, 325I coupe, or Cobra)... Its not the greatest inside... You are pretty much solely spending the money on performance... period. When that is the case.... they are worth EVERY penny. Driving one is believing.. If youve had a chance to drive one hard and hit a few corners... its just amazing. Not the mention the never ending amounts of aftermarket support. Its all a matter of taste really though... I can totally understand people that dont see much in them.. its the same way with every car. Of course I still regret not buying one.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Evo's look like $15k cars. You guys couldn't sit here and tell me (pretended you had no idea what an Evo could do) that you could look at that car and say "man, that looks like an expensive car."

For example, G35's LOOK like what they cost, TL's LOOK like what they cost, etc..but NOT an Evo.

Line that car up with a Cobra, G35, 350Z, BMW 330i, and tell me it looks like it would be in their class.
since when do cobra's look like they are worth what they are worth? looks like any other v6 mustang on the road. interior is a lil different but the main difference obviously is performance. i could care less if an evo looks like it cost $15K. if the evo looks like it only costs $15K then the cobalt only looks like it's worth $5K. not bashing the cobalt but if you want to talk about looks and all and disregard performance. people have different tastes and i personally love the way evo's look. i'd rather have a car that will outperform those car's you listed than look like a more expensive car.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like i said, performance wise, it's worht it to some. But from a SOCIETY persepctive, they look cheap. For example, I have three guys at work that don't know **** about sport compacts. There is a silver Evo that parks near our bldg, and one day we passed it:

"Look at that lancer with a big ass wing," said one guy.
"Just another young dumb kid trying to make his car look fast," said another.
"Dude, that's an Evo. they are fast as hell," I said.
"An Evo?" said the first guy.
"Yea, they're about as fast as a stock '03-'04 cobra."
"No ******* way," said the second guy. "That little lancer is as fast as a $35k cobra?"
"Yea. They cost as much as a cobra too," I replied.
"No way," said the first guy, shaking his head. " I would never pay that kind of money for one of those. they look like a regular Lancer."

That's pretty much how the conversation went. My wife has the same opinion about them. She doesn't car how fast they are, they're plain looking in the outside and out.
I just think it would suck to spend that kind of money, just to have most people talk **** about it.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
since when do cobra's look like they are worth what they are worth? looks like any other v6 mustang on the road. interior is a lil different but the main difference obviously is performance. i could care less if an evo looks like it cost $15K. if the evo looks like it only costs $15K then the cobalt only looks like it's worth $5K. not bashing the cobalt but if you want to talk about looks and all and disregard performance. people have different tastes and i personally love the way evo's look. i'd rather have a car that will outperform those car's you listed than look like a more expensive car.

Ok, having a car that costs $20k, that looks like $15k is not as insulting as owning a $35k car that looks like a $15k car. the point is, mustangs have a more "prestigious" heritgae to it than a Lancer. Society unfortunately see's all sport compacts as cheap econo boxes. So when someone hears that someone else spent the kind of oney that can get you a decent luxory car, or a well known sports car for a souped-up econo box, they laugh.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

haha, that convo is hilarious.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:51 PM

Dude.. it's not a souped up econo-box.... it's a performance car just like the mustang.. just because it doesn't have a v6 or v8 doesn't mean it's not performance or wouldn't outperform other car in it's price range...
Platinum Member

Ok, having a car that costs $20k, that looks like $15k is not as insulting as owning a $35k car that looks like a $15k car. the point is, mustangs have a more "prestigious" heritgae to it than a Lancer. Society unfortunately see's all sport compacts as cheap econo boxes. So when someone hears that someone else spent the kind of oney that can get you a decent luxory car, or a well known sports car for a souped-up econo box, they laugh.
i never said the cobalt looks like it cost $15K. i said if the the evo looks like it only cost $15K then the cobalt only looks like it cost $5K, not $15K. but yeah, i agree with you about some people have no knowledge of cars and only are biased on the cars they know and grew up on. kinda sad really.

Werd
Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Domestics Pwn

Originally Posted by DC52NV
haha, that convo is hilarious.
ya it is

A lot of people I hang out with know more about Evo's then I do.... We talk $hit about stangers all the time...
Old 10-20-2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24
To insure an evo, is it much more than a cobalt ss?
That's why I would go to the GTO. I was looking at them and insurance for me was only $35 more a month than my SS/SC. Then the $600 a month car payment came into the picture and I went with the SS/SC. By the way I'm a 20 yr old single male, so it's not like I get good rates.

EDIT: Sorry I thought you were stating the EVO was more to insure. I have no clue what it costs.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:33 PM

My insurance went DOWN when I bought my cobalt. It was actually cheaper than my focus lol
Old 10-21-2005, 03:40 AM

Evo is insurance is up there... Mine shot up about $200/ 6 months from my SRT-4.

As for the Evo looking cheap, every car has it's roots. STi = Impreza, SRT-4 = Neon, Evo = Lancer. If you really care what people think about what you're driving, then you need to grow up. Me buying the Evo wasn't about that other people would think. It was the fact that I was able to buy a $32k ('05's were being cleared out for basically invoice and 0% finanacing for 60 months) car that I could take to the track and tear it up without having to modify it in anyway. Off the lot, the Evo is a track performer with little consideration for luxury. Hell, you could go even cheaper and get a RS, with has no Power windows, lock, mirros. Remember the Type R? Hell, when that thing first came out, it had no A/C or stereo... Do some people place a higher priority on luxury than performance? Sure, I could have gotten a TL for about the same price. or perhaps you're looking for a blend of performance and luxury, Z's, G35's & GTO's would fit in that category. I'm sure most of you bought SS's because for the price, you can't beat the performance. The Evo is the same. Just in the higher price bracket. For $30k, you can't get a better track oriented car... (Besides the STi). That's why we have choices out there. But I really don't care what people think of my car. As long as when I get in my car, I drive it, and it brings a smile to MY face...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:55 PM

I couldn't pay $35k for a car that is based off of a $15k car..sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid-R1
Evo is insurance is up there... Mine shot up about $200/ 6 months from my SRT-4.

As for the Evo looking cheap, every car has it's roots. STi = Impreza, SRT-4 = Neon, Evo = Lancer. If you really care what people think about what you're driving, then you need to grow up. Me buying the Evo wasn't about that other people would think. It was the fact that I was able to buy a $32k ('05's were being cleared out for basically invoice and 0% finanacing for 60 months) car that I could take to the track and tear it up without having to modify it in anyway. Off the lot, the Evo is a track performer with little consideration for luxury. Hell, you could go even cheaper and get a RS, with has no Power windows, lock, mirros. Remember the Type R? Hell, when that thing first came out, it had no A/C or stereo... Do some people place a higher priority on luxury than performance? Sure, I could have gotten a TL for about the same price. or perhaps you're looking for a blend of performance and luxury, Z's, G35's & GTO's would fit in that category. I'm sure most of you bought SS's because for the price, you can't beat the performance. The Evo is the same. Just in the higher price bracket. For $30k, you can't get a better track oriented car... (Besides the STi). That's why we have choices out there. But I really don't care what people think of my car. As long as when I get in my car, I drive it, and it brings a smile to MY face...
I couldn't say it any better. I love all cars that are fast.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:24 PM

I couldn't pay $35k for a car that is based off of a $15k car..sorry if I hurt your feelings.
It's okay, I'm not hurt... I can appreciate all performance cars... Some people can't...
Old 10-21-2005, 06:29 PM

Thumbs up

if you cant beat a car scare em! lol I got a guy in a c5 corvette back off on me then we pulled up to a light and i told him to race me then we raced i was goin 130+ he was goin like 200 mph he was coasting at 160 i couldnt catch up

once you get an intake alot of peeps will back off, there is a white evo round here we both came of normal at a light, well i herd him spoolin up flooring it (1st gear) so i floored it all of a sudden he drops back like 8 cars back and staye there all the way down main street prob would have beat me but hey i won from him being scared
Old 10-21-2005, 07:16 PM

This thread is funny.........
Old 10-21-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid-R1
It's okay, I'm not hurt... I can appreciate all performance cars... Some people can't...

^^^ yes, this thread is funny
Old 10-22-2005, 04:34 AM

^^^ yes, this thread is funny
^^^ I agree...
Old 10-27-2005, 09:07 PM

hmmm... i raced an evo from 40mph the other day and started to pull on him(very slowly though). all i have is modded intake. what is that all about? i keep hearing that they should kill a SS/SC, but that didnt happen... and yes he was racing, i talked to him after we raced and he said it was stock.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:24 PM

Information on my 03 EVO.

Just some information about my EVO:

I will agree with a lot of you who say the SS is as fast and sometimes barely faster from a role (depends on driver). With that said, the EVO is definatly not a beast up in the higher gear range (Stock). On the other hand, if you pull up next to one at a light, don't even bother trying. If there's a half way decent driver in the EVO, he'll pull 2 to 3 car lengths on you before you can say WTF..

However, noting again on the role statement above, you won't find too many stock EVO's anymore unless they just drove them off the lot. I would be weary about racing one from a roll. But whether or not you win or lose, it's still a hell of lot of fun.

As for my car, I just dynoed it on a low reading Mustang Dyno. Hit 263whp. This equates to just over 310whp on a dynojet. (This was after installing Cams and Intercooler + Custom Tune) After leaving the shop and getting it on the open road, I found out it was a beast. First time I can truly say I lost my stomach! Kind of like a roller coaster going down the drop.

With all that said, I do have to mention while at the shop (Buschur Racing) while they were working on my car, I got to take a ride as a passenger in there 2003 Red EVO. This car dynoed on the same dyno mine did and pulled 630whp. It's got everything in it!
I can honestly say, I've never been so scared before in my life! When he punched it in third gear, all I remember was a lot of noise (exhaust) and me almost screaming. This car ran a 10.4 at 137. What a beast. Put my car to shame! Vet vs. Pinto comparison. haha.

Anyways, sorry I dragged this on, but it's good stuff! I like the way the SS's look, and it a great car to drive. You guys enjoy them! The only reason I went with the EVO was because it had 4 doors (I have two girls in car seats), and it's all wheel drive. I can't stand having that much power and not getting any grip. Loved my 97 GST Eclipse Spyder but not the wheel spin.

Take care and enjoy!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:20 AM

Cool man. Enjoy fixing up your Evo! They are still nice cars, and are crazy fast with just a few mods.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:14 PM

This thread was fairly interesting... to all the people that said the EVO looked plain and too much like the regular lancer, are you joking?? If I drive down the road and see either an EVO or STI it immediately catches my attention and makes me look/stare. If I see a mustang... sometimes i'll look, depends on if i'm in a mood to waste some gas, but for the most part they don't turn my head like seeing a Blue STI with gold rims does.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:35 PM
360 L337 User

Originally Posted by soupsredline
This thread was fairly interesting... to all the people that said the EVO looked plain and too much like the regular lancer, are you joking?? If I drive down the road and see either an EVO or STI it immediately catches my attention and makes me look/stare. If I see a mustang... sometimes i'll look, depends on if i'm in a mood to waste some gas, but for the most part they don't turn my head like seeing a Blue STI with gold rims does.
I raced a blue mitsubishi last night. I knew what the outcome was going to be but we both caught the redlight and I had to. later on we both pulled into a gas station he said it was all stage 2 and full exhaust, CAI and some other stuff. he said it is about 350+. needless tosay I saw his taillights when we raced. but it was fun, and I made a new friend.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Any of you guys know if u can buy one in Canada? Ive never seen any and it dosent seem like the dealership sites carry any...

Quick Reply: Word to the wise... Do not try and race an Evo VIII!