War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Word to the wise... Do not try and race an Evo VIII!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wasey13
Blaine and Wesman, as soon as the N.R.R.A. (National Roll Racing Association) is started I will challenge you both to a roll race, in both of my cars. Until then STFU about roll racing. It = the ghey.

Also Blaine I wasn't questioning your knowledge, I was just curious if you had driven any FQs to see if you had any 1st hand experience on their "terrible lag". Oh and do you think a GTO can outperform an STI or EVO in anything else?? Breaking? Nope. Slalom speed? Doubt it. Skid pad? Maybe. Rally? NEVER!:P: Road Course? Maybe, again. 0-60? Nope. 0-100-0? Nope
maybe breaking if the damn thing came with the same cross drilled and slotted package as it comes with in Australia
Old 02-02-2006, 12:25 PM

Blaine and Wesman, as soon as the N.R.R.A. (National Roll Racing Association) is started I will challenge you both to a roll race, in both of my cars. Until then STFU about roll racing. It = the ghey.
I know this wasn't directed at me but I like to add my worthless two cents...

I'm not a fan of roll races and I agree that roll race isn't considered as a traditional drag racing. However, these roll races are occurring more frequently than the races from a dig. It is lot harder to stage a race from the stop, even if you do, chances are you won't be able to go full 1/4 mile (if it's even known where quarter mile mark is) for various reasons (outside of track).

What I've been noticing is that the majority of the races takes place whenever two strangers with the performance cars encounter (usually on the HWY) and then they race.

Races from a dig displays driver's abilities and car's power

Races from a roll mostly displays car's power and very little driver's abilities (Manual Tranny)

One of my pet peeve of street racing is what I call a "spurt racing", which is like 0 - 60 mph runs, 60 - 100 mph runs, or anyother speed range which isn't long enough to display driver's skills or power of the car because these short spurts usually just shows whoever got the jump (in many cases, some one jumps too early) wins. I guess I like longer races, like at least 1/4 mile.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Banned

evos compete in supercar class, havent you watched top gear.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned

Also Blaine I wasn't questioning your knowledge, I was just curious if you had driven any FQs to see if you had any 1st hand experience on their "terrible lag". Oh and do you think a GTO can outperform an STI or EVO in anything else?? Breaking? Nope. Slalom speed? Doubt it. Skid pad? Maybe. Rally? NEVER!:P: Road Course? Maybe, again. 0-60? Nope. 0-100-0? Nope
So basically you're saying roll racing is "teh ghey" because your car sucks at it. Real mature, I suppose I could say dig racing sucks because its hard for RWD and FWD cars to get traction. Nobody cares though, not to mention the majority of on-the-spot street races take place from a roll. You just keep telling yourself that roll racing is "teh ghey", when you catch a GTO on the highway and he puts carlengths on you he'll be the last one laughing, especially considering he payed the same amount of money as you for a much more powerful, better looking, and respectable car

Once again, nobody cares about the Evo FQ. Its not sold here in the states, its overpriced, suffers from massive amounts of turbo lag, and just isn't a practical vehicle for everyday driving.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:25 PM

Says the cobalt driver. Couldn't resist sorry.

GTO is a cooler car than a cobalt. Why would I argue that?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
So basically you're saying roll racing is "teh ghey" because your car sucks at it. Real mature, I suppose I could say dig racing sucks because its hard for RWD and FWD cars to get traction. Nobody cares though, not to mention the majority of on-the-spot street races take place from a roll. You just keep telling yourself that roll racing is "teh ghey", when you catch a GTO on the highway and he puts carlengths on you he'll be the last one laughing, especially considering he payed the same amount of money as you for a much more powerful, better looking, and respectable car

Once again, nobody cares about the Evo FQ. Its not sold here in the states, its overpriced, suffers from massive amounts of turbo lag, and just isn't a practical vehicle for everyday driving.
I have a car that will break off a Cobalt from a roll. And pretty soon will be breaking off vettes. It still is gay to go from a roll. Since you brought it up "on-the-spot racing" is another gay as hell thing you Cobalt drivers love to do, its the same thing ricers do and most respectable FAST cars don't do it. Also 95% of you don't race for money or anything, pretty LAME! You won't see me racing on a highway. RWD is jast as easy to get traction and probably better, what are you talking about??? You can't put huge slicks on an AWD car.

Once again, read back to why I brought up the FQ. You said a 300hp EVO would be basically a "lagging joke of a car" and wouldn't be able to keep up with the 400(+)hp Camaro. I bet the FQ300 would put a hurting on the Camaro. Here we go again with overpriced, what a joke.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phxSS
GTO is a cooler car than a cobalt. Why would I argue that?
SHHH. Don't say that too loud. Some Cobalt owner's would probably disagree.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:52 AM

So, I understand that it's hard for RWD cars to get traction, but last time I checked, most professional drag racers use RWD and not AWD. If you're using an AWD solely as a drag car, you're missing the point...

Do AWD cars cut sweet times in the 0-60 because of the traction? Sure... But I didn't buy my Evo to launch stoplight to stoplight. Nor did I get one to race on the freeway. I got it to take to a road racing course which involves these things called turns. Seriously, if you wanna 1/4mi race, or you want to roll race, don't get an Evo. Don't get an STi. Do yourself a favor and get a better platform. Go get a Mustang, or a GTO.

Personally, I got an Evo because I enjoy a little more than going in straight line. I'd rather rail through a corner than hit 100+ in the 1/4mi. Is the GTO going to satisfy that need? Probably not. While I'm sure the GTO is no slouch in the handling department, I'm pretty sure you'll agree the Evo simply handles better.

The bottom line is, if everyone wanted the same driving experience as everyone else, we wouldn't have so many choices of cars. I wanted a excellent handling car with decent power in the 30k range. If I wanted more power, and cared less about handling, the GTO would be a serious consideration for me. The question isn't, which is the "better" car? But which is the "better" car for me....
Old 02-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

I have a car that will break off a Cobalt from a roll. And pretty soon will be breaking off vettes. It still is gay to go from a roll. Since you brought it up "on-the-spot racing" is another gay as hell thing you Cobalt drivers love to do, its the same thing ricers do and most respectable FAST cars don't do it. Also 95% of you don't race for money or anything, pretty LAME! You won't see me racing on a highway. RWD is jast as easy to get traction and probably better, what are you talking about??? You can't put huge slicks on an AWD car.

Once again, read back to why I brought up the FQ. You said a 300hp EVO would be basically a "lagging joke of a car" and wouldn't be able to keep up with the 400(+)hp Camaro. I bet the FQ300 would put a hurting on the Camaro. Here we go again with overpriced, what a joke.
Well I would hope your car can "break off" from a Cobalt from a roll, considering you paid $10,000 more. As for ourunning Corvette's, were talking stock here. Nobody cares if you can take a stock Vette with mods, thats ricer talk. Obviously any car can be faster than any other car once you start modding.

Then you say "on the spot" and "roll racing" are "gay as hell"?? Thats pretty ironic considering your car is only good from a hard launch, figures you'd say something like that. And whats wrong with just racing for fun?? How is that gay?? You sound like you're from F&F or something, "I only race for slips dog"

Like I said, a Lancer Evo would get wasted by a new 400HP Camaro. The FQ300 wouldn't put a "hurting" on jack, by the time the humongous turbo spooled the race would be over anyway, and the FQ would get owned.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:55 PM

Well I would hope your car can "break off" from a Cobalt from a roll, considering you paid $10,000 more. As for ourunning Corvette's, were talking stock here. Nobody cares if you can take a stock Vette with mods, thats ricer talk. Obviously any car can be faster than any other car once you start modding.

Then you say "on the spot" and "roll racing" are "gay as hell"?? Thats pretty ironic considering your car is only good from a hard launch, figures you'd say something like that. And whats wrong with just racing for fun?? How is that gay?? You sound like you're from F&F or something, "I only race for slips dog"

Like I said, a Lancer Evo would get wasted by a new 400HP Camaro. The FQ300 wouldn't put a "hurting" on jack, by the time the humongous turbo spooled the race would be over anyway, and the FQ would get owned.
As stated before. The AWD was NOT designed so you could drag race. Yes, you can excellent launches due to the traction, but last time I checked, pretty much all drag cars are RWD. If you think the Evo was designed for the 1/4mi, you're fooling yourself. Go take your 400hp Camaro out to a road race course, and see how that superior hp helps you through the turns. I didn't pay 30+k to go fast in a straight line. As before, if I wanted that, I'd have bought a GTO. I paid 30k for a daily driven go kart that rides on rails. If I wanted a 30k luxury car, I'd but a TL. Personally, I'll take my Evo, take it to a Road Race course, and continue to spank cars that are far more expensive than mine.

I don't see where you are getting all these turbo spool lags. Peak torque for my Evo comes on at 4k. If I launch my car @5k, how am I getting turbo lag?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, i've tried to stay away from this thread because it would probably get me all "riled" up. lol. but i couldn't help but take a peak at what the arguing is about now. sounds to me like wasey and liquid know what they are talking about and wesman you need to calm down a bit. not every turbo car in the world has HUMONGOUS amounts of lag, even with big turbos.

everybody buys certain cars becaust that car gives them the performance they DESIRE. If you have the money to buy a high performance car and you LOVE to drag race and could car less about auto-x or rally racing, then why would you buy an EVO. you would probably buy a camaro, mustang, gto, something of that nature. but if you could care less about drag racing and love all the other stuff, then you'd probably go with an evo or an sti or something of that nature. geese. Nobody's car is better than the other, it's all about what performance you desire and what car is better in that sport for you. GROW UP PEOPLE!!!!!! and this stupid thread!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

I was talking about the car that I have less then $2,500 in. And for less then 10k will leave Corvettes.

I race for money minimum $20, maximum $150. If (hardly ever) I race for free, I lose on purpose no matter what. Also I have 2 cars remember.

Think what you want. You really have no idea what you are talking about.

What kind of car do you drive again??
Old 02-05-2006, 05:48 PM

I was talking about the car that I have less then $2,500 in. And for less then 10k will leave Corvettes.
Let's not talk about modded cars, now. I could probably build a Fox Mustang faster than any Evo in existance for under $10k total investment, but talking about modded cars doesn't prove anything.

Now, back to arguing about turbo lag, Rally cars, and 400hp Chevys...
Old 02-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blainestang
Let's not talk about modded cars, now. I could probably build a Fox Mustang faster than any Evo in existance for under $10k total investment, but talking about modded cars doesn't prove anything.

Now, back to arguing about turbo lag, Rally cars, and 400hp Chevys...
Your mustang won't run for very long with under 10k invested considering there are EVOs running low 9s. I brought up my Z car because all Cobalt owners do is talk about roll racing.

Back to the arguement. 300hp lagging rally EVO> 400hp Camaro.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 PM

Your mustang won't run for very long with under 10k invested considering there are EVOs running low 9s. I brought up my Z car because all Cobalt owners do is talk about roll racing.

Considering that 5.0 mustangs can fun FOREVER, you have no idea what you're talking about.I have yet to see an EVO run 9's. I can tell you that I know of WAY more mustangs that run nine to ten second quarters than EVO's. I would put money on the fact that there are more. But again, this doesn't prove anything, except that the mustang provides a good platform for drag racing. By the way, they are pretty good on the twisty stuff too with the right suspension. That's why i'm in the process of looking for one to buy and build. Good luck finding something that compares in cost to return ratio. <--Just my opinion...

Jon
Old 02-05-2006, 11:19 PM

Not long ago, there was a guy in either 5.0 Mustangs Magazine or Muscle Mustangs Magazine that went 9's with a total investment, including the car, of $5k. That leaves a little room for maintenance, I'd say.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:10 AM

Are we still talking about straight line racing and Evo's? *YAWN*
Old 02-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon B.
Considering that 5.0 mustangs can fun FOREVER, you have no idea what you're talking about.I have yet to see an EVO run 9's. I can tell you that I know of WAY more mustangs that run nine to ten second quarters than EVO's. I would put money on the fact that there are more. But again, this doesn't prove anything, except that the mustang provides a good platform for drag racing. By the way, they are pretty good on the twisty stuff too with the right suspension. That's why i'm in the process of looking for one to buy and build. Good luck finding something that compares in cost to return ratio. <--Just my opinion...

Jon
Z cars, Volkwagon bug or ghia, there are tons of cars that are the same or better when it comes to "cost to return ratio" compared to a fox body.

http://aftermarket.autoblog.com/2004...evo-in-the-us/
http://www.racingflix.com/forum/foru...271&PN=0&TPN=1 There are more.
Originally Posted by blainestang
Not long ago, there was a guy in either 5.0 Mustangs Magazine or Muscle Mustangs Magazine that went 9's with a total investment, including the car, of $5k. That leaves a little room for maintenance, I'd say.
I don't doubt it, but how many times did he do it?? And is he still doing it?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:40 AM

Z cars, Volkwagon bug or ghia, there are tons of cars that are the same or better when it comes to "cost to return ratio" compared to a fox body.
They may be cheap to make fast, but it's tough to beat 9's for $5k. I don't think you can say that any car DEFINATELY has a better "cost to return ratio" than the Fox.

http://aftermarket.autoblog.com/2004...evo-in-the-us/
http://www.racingflix.com/forum/foru...271&PN=0&TPN=1 There are more.
I don't doubt it, but how many times did he do it?? And is he still doing it?
I have no idea. Worst case scenario is if he was still on the stock block and it split or something. In that case, he'd just pick up a Dart block for <$2k and the Earth would run out of oil before anything happened to that thing. At that point, he'd be running 9's all day with no worries for $7k. For all I know, part of that original $5k was a Dart block, even, but I doubt it. Either way, 9's for $5k is ridiculous, and in the straight-line speed category an Evo can't touch that. That was my point.

Oh, and to anybody who's about to say "Who cares, Evo's aren't meant for straightline speed," Wasey's the one who started talking about how he'd be faster than a Vette for such and such $$$.

Anyway, back to the topic...

Big-Turbo 4-cylinders have significant Turbo lag, that's true, BUT it doesn't matter for drag racing because the car will never see anything less than 5000rpm's if it's driven right.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Good old AMS ripping up the local track
Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

You obviously don't have the slightest clue what you are even talking about. As the other guys mentioned, it doesn't take much to get some serious performance out of a 5.0 Mustang, and that motor is practically bulletproof. Funny how you think a solidly built V8 with full N/A bolt-ons will somehow be less durable than a 2.0 4 banger pushing insane amounts of boost. Pull your head out of your ass man.

Right. Sure, yea, whatever. Maybe when you wake up from your riceboy dream that the Evo can beat cars with 100+ more HP you will realize that doesn't happen in the real world. By the time the Evos turbo spools up and gets into boost the Camaro would already have put carlengths on it. You obviously have no concept of how much power 400HP and 400ft/lbs of torque is, or you wouldn't be claiming an Evo could beat one
Old 02-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

You obviously don't have the slightest clue what you are even talking about. As the other guys mentioned, it doesn't take much to get some serious performance out of a 5.0 Mustang, and that motor is practically bulletproof. Funny how you think a solidly built V8 with full N/A bolt-ons will somehow be less durable than a 2.0 4 banger pushing insane amounts of boost. Pull your head out of your ass man.
I do know what 5.0s are capable considering most of the fast ones are in Cali and Vegas. When did I ever compare the durability of a boosted 2.0l to that of fully bolt-on N/A V8??? Don't put words in my mouth just so you can try to feel smart and win part of some arguement. And read this no N/A 5.0 is running low 9s consistently with under 10k invested. So I don't know why you brought that up??

Right. Sure, yea, whatever. Maybe when you wake up from your riceboy dream that the Evo can beat cars with 100+ more HP you will realize that doesn't happen in the real world. By the time the Evos turbo spools up and gets into boost the Camaro would already have put carlengths on it. You obviously have no concept of how much power 400HP and 400ft/lbs of torque is, or you wouldn't be claiming an Evo could beat one
OK we are not talking about your beloved roll racing here. From a dig(cause that is all that matters) a 300hp EVO(fq300 or EVO X) will put a hurting on the 400hp Camaro period. There is no way in hell that Camaro will put lengths on a EVO. "Do you think engines have to send turbos a special inventation to spool?? saying... Please RSVP back with boost." Like it has been said throughout this thread...[read this over and over] even if it takes up to 5000rpm(it doesn't) for that EVO(300hp one) to make full boost, it will never go below that in a drag race. So any turbo lag(not nearly as much as you seem to think) is negated, especially with a good driver.

What kind of car do you drive again???
Old 02-07-2006, 02:46 AM

Dude, I really don't get it. Maybe you're not reading. I dunno. A Stock Evo turbo starts to spool up at 32000rpm. By 4000rpm, it's at paek torque. Now, from a dig, I rev up to 5k. There's even a 2 step rev limiter on my car. If I have the clutch engaged, it won't even allow me to rev past 5500. The reason being is the Advan's are so sticky, they don't want you to let it out any higher for fear of the tranny going. Anyways, back to my point, I'm launching at 5k. When I quickly drop the clutch, it ain't dropping below 4k. So, where's my turbo lag?

As for a "roll", it's possible to brake boost as well. This in effect gets rid of "turbo lag.

BTW, off topic, but my 180hp (Yes, that's 220hp less) bike would beat your 400hp Camaro... Yes, it's off topic, but my point is, quit looking at just the hp and torque #'s. There are a lot of other factors out that that make a car go fast...

There's more to life than driving in a straight line...
Old 02-07-2006, 01:26 PM

Why is everyone comparing EVOs/STI's/Mustangs/GTOs?? Why not compare EVO/STI or Cobra/GTO 6.0??

From a roll, the big V-8s are going to win most of the time. From a dig, the EVO/STI is going to win most of time time.

I own an EVO. I've raced both the Cobra and the GTO. I've won and lost against the Cobra but have yet to lose to a GTO (only raced 1), but I know I'm not always going to beat it.

On the highway, I know I'm going to lose to a Cobra/GTO because they got more top end power while I lose a lot of steam up top.

On the twisties, the Cobra/GTO are toast.

In response to wesmanw02, "Like I said, a Lancer Evo would get wasted by a new 400HP Camaro. The FQ300 wouldn't put a "hurting" on jack, by the time the humongous turbo spooled the race would be over anyway, and the FQ would get owned." You really don't have a clue about what your talking about. All you think is that an EVO is a rice car with a bit turbo. Let me get you in the twisties or on a 1/4 track so you can get some "Real World" experience and then be able to comment with some real inteligence. The only "right" thing you've said so far is that the Camaro would win from a roll. As far as your statement about the turbo spooling up, it's clear you really know nothing about what your talking about. Please shut up up, your wasting our time!

Stop comparing these cars because there not in the same class. All of them have there own characteristics that make them special.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Banned

I do know what 5.0s are capable considering most of the fast ones are in Cali and Vegas. When did I ever compare the durability of a boosted 2.0l to that of fully bolt-on N/A V8??? Don't put words in my mouth just so you can try to feel smart and win part of some arguement. And read this no N/A 5.0 is running low 9s consistently with under 10k invested. So I don't know why you brought that up??
You said it right here, I suppose you are having trouble remembering what you wrote considering its all BS:

Your mustang won't run for very long with under 10k invested considering there are EVOs running low 9s
OK we are not talking about your beloved roll racing here. From a dig(cause that is all that matters) a 300hp EVO(fq300 or EVO X) will put a hurting on the 400hp Camaro period. There is no way in hell that Camaro will put lengths on a EVO. "Do you think engines have to send turbos a special inventation to spool?? saying... Please RSVP back with boost." Like it has been said throughout this thread...[read this over and over] even if it takes up to 5000rpm(it doesn't) for that EVO(300hp one) to make full boost, it will never go below that in a drag race. So any turbo lag(not nearly as much as you seem to think) is negated, especially with a good driver.
Once again bashing roll racing just because your car gets owned from a roll. Grow up. Roll racing shows exactly which vehicle is faster, being that theres no launch to screw up and very little possible driver error. You just stomp the gas and go. The slower car generally loses, hence the reason you are so sore on the subject of roll racing

You say there is "no way in hell" a 400HP Camaro would be able to beat an Evo with 300HP?? Pull your head out of your ass riceboy, the Evo wouldn't have a prayer against a car weighing about the same with 100 extra horsepower. What, do you think the extra 100 ponies just vanish into thin air in the presence of the all mighty Evo??

Dude, I really don't get it. Maybe you're not reading. I dunno. A Stock Evo turbo starts to spool up at 32000rpm. By 4000rpm, it's at paek torque. Now, from a dig, I rev up to 5k. There's even a 2 step rev limiter on my car. If I have the clutch engaged, it won't even allow me to rev past 5500. The reason being is the Advan's are so sticky, they don't want you to let it out any higher for fear of the tranny going. Anyways, back to my point, I'm launching at 5k. When I quickly drop the clutch, it ain't dropping below 4k. So, where's my turbo lag?
No, its just pretty obvious that you've never driven a car with a V8. If you did, you would realize just how laggy most turbo cars are - especially ones like the Evo, with a small 4 cylinder engine coupled to a massive turbo.

You have fun replacing your clutch after all those 5,000RPM clutch drops. You guys don't have a clue how hard that is on the clutch and tranmission, it falls under the category of "drivetrain abuse". Theres no way any clutch can last more than a few thousand miles when you beat on it like that, especially considering that theres hardly any wheelspin due to the AWD.

In response to wesmanw02, "Like I said, a Lancer Evo would get wasted by a new 400HP Camaro. The FQ300 wouldn't put a "hurting" on jack, by the time the humongous turbo spooled the race would be over anyway, and the FQ would get owned." You really don't have a clue about what your talking about. All you think is that an EVO is a rice car with a bit turbo. Let me get you in the twisties or on a 1/4 track so you can get some "Real World" experience and then be able to comment with some real inteligence. The only "right" thing you've said so far is that the Camaro would win from a roll. As far as your statement about the turbo spooling up, it's clear you really know nothing about what your talking about. Please shut up up, your wasting our time!
Funny how some newbie comes in here and starts telling people they don't know what they're talking about. Its also interesting how all 3 of you trolls own Evos or STi's. Go back to the Evo/STi forums, we don't need you trolling around here.

I guess I should feel really scared that your car can "handle in the twisties". You know what, next time someone challenges you to a race, tell them you'll "race them in the twisties". Then see how long it takes them to stop laughing in your face.

You say I "know nothing"?? Considering you don't know me, you don't know what vehicles I've driven, you don't know how much experience I have, and you have a whopping 10 posts, I suggest you STFU. You just keep believing that theres no such thing as turbo lag and that the Evo is the best car ever made, maybe one day you'll wake up in the real world

Quick Reply: Word to the wise... Do not try and race an Evo VIII!