2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

All You Need to Know About Downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooled
So just choose the offroad w/ o2 bung and thats it.
If you want only 1 O2 bung for only the stock O2 sensor then yes. If you plan on ever possibly adding a wideband down the line, then spending the extra $10 on the extra bung and $5 for a cap is well worth it..

oh, and keep your stock downpipe just in case you ever need it for something.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, but will a 3" DP tolerate with the 2.5" stock exhaust? Will the stock exhaust handle the 3" DP?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When is a moderator going to sticky this thread and my intake thread?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
If you want only 1 O2 bung for only the stock O2 sensor then yes. If you plan on ever possibly adding a wideband down the line, then spending the extra $10 on the extra bung and $5 for a cap is well worth it..

oh, and keep your stock downpipe just in case you ever need it for something.

Ok got it, Thanks man!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 PM

Bump for a Mod to please sticky this!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Former Vendor

Thank you guys for listing our downpipes and link to the MP downpipe section.

Originally Posted by tom.g
Thanks for the link, I added it to the first post.
Just FYI Cold Start up is not a very good representation of what the catless downpipe sounds like as when the car first turns on it goes into Cat Warm Up Mode which is loud as hell for 30-60sec and then the sounds calms down alot.

It would be great to have a vid of a car with a catted DP
We've posted several videos of the MPx downpipe along with the MPx exhaust for the Turbo Cobalt.

Heres one :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1RxVMBljik
Old 03-17-2010, 03:43 AM

I have access to a custom shop that does excellent work and can pretty much make me a downpipe in an hour or so. I will simply cut from the flexpipe down and do a 2.75 or 3'' pipe. I will be removing both cats and doing a small extension for the O2 bung. Do you think it will trip a cel?

I am not currently tuned. I am simply "preparing" my car for the tune.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
if you read the thread, any catless dp "can" throw a cel. There are ways to try to get around that, by pulling the o2 about an inch back from the tube, using material stuffed in the bung in front of the sensor and maybe another way. If you are going to get an aftermarket tune you can disable that though. So catless would be fine. I am staying gm stage 1 and dont want to worry about cel's so I think I'll get a high flow cat.

Oh and you'll want a 3", dont go any smaller.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want a thread to be a sticky try sending a mod a pm (me if you actually want it to get done). I don't read every thread on this forum, so it makes things easier if threads like this are brought to my attention.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Black SS/SC 06
If you want a thread to be a sticky try sending a mod a pm (me if you actually want it to get done). I don't read every thread on this forum, so it makes things easier if threads like this are brought to my attention.
Lol I did I PM'd two different mods a couple months ago.

Thank you for stickying this
Old 03-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Must have pm'd the wrong ones
Old 03-28-2010, 08:28 PM

I am planning on ordering a downpipe and I am wondering if I need the secondary bung? My car is a 2010 and has the rpd so I am guessing I need one? Correct me if I am wrong before I spend the extra coin.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by SXD45
I am planning on ordering a downpipe and I am wondering if I need the secondary bung? My car is a 2010 and has the rpd so I am guessing I need one? Correct me if I am wrong before I spend the extra coin.
Negative. The only reason you would need the second o2 bung is if you plan on running an aftermarket wideband gauge. I highly recommend the ZZP Spun Metal Catted Downpipe!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I showed my dealer the lit for the MPx catback, and catless headpipe - they said they were fine with the catback, but more or less defaulted to pointing out MPx's own disclaimer about the possible SEL codes that could be set off because of the pipe having no cats...
The dealer was insistent that the lack of cats on the headpipe I chose was going to need a custom tune to work with it...
I call BS ~ if there is a sensor downwind, I am sure a resistor can be substituted to fool the ECM... More or less they wanted me to go with a cat'ed headpipe.
I am thinking that since I would be installing this myself only after I start taking over regular service, that I can always swap headpipes if I am going to bring it to the dealer for anything...

I am also currently looking for a Tech2, so that I can erase any possible error codes...

I am also going to buy a OEM service manual, so that I can see how anyhting is wired up;

I wanted the catless downpipe because I have read that it works best with the GMS1 in eliminating the power dropoff at the high end.

Q: Does anyone know if there is a significant difference when running an aftermarket 'catback', between the aftermarket catted headpipe, versus the catless headpipe?

I am planning on buying MPx's product because of seeing their product firsthand, and their great rep.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
I showed my dealer the lit for the MPx catback, and catless headpipe - they said they were fine with the catback, but more or less defaulted to pointing out MPx's own disclaimer about the possible SEL codes that could be set off because of the pipe having no cats...
The dealer was insistent that the lack of cats on the headpipe I chose was going to need a custom tune to work with it...
I call BS ~ if there is a sensor downwind, I am sure a resistor can be substituted to fool the ECM... More or less they wanted me to go with a cat'ed headpipe.
I am thinking that since I would be installing this myself only after I start taking over regular service, that I can always swap headpipes if I am going to bring it to the dealer for anything...

I am also currently looking for a Tech2, so that I can erase any possible error codes...

I am also going to buy a OEM service manual, so that I can see how anyhting is wired up;

I wanted the catless downpipe because I have read that it works best with the GMS1 in eliminating the power dropoff at the high end.

Q: Does anyone know if there is a significant difference when running an aftermarket 'catback', between the aftermarket catted headpipe, versus the catless headpipe?

I am planning on buying MPx's product because of seeing their product firsthand, and their great rep.
Whether or not you have a catback does not matter there are no sensors after the downpipe. When you use a catless DP you do run the risk of throwing a CEL (Check Engine Light) and if you do get a CEL you can clear it with a code reader/clearer but chances are it will come back unless you get a custom tune i.e. HP, Trifecta or ZZP to remove the code. There is no way around this.

PS: Which part of Calgary are you in, and what color is your TC I've only seen a couple other TC's in Calgary lol?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:19 AM

cat back stock vs 3" aftermarket is so marginal you probably wouldnt even notice; it could dyno like 1hp but that could be that dyno's margin of error. its honestly for sound.

ANY catless downpipe CAN throw a CEL, that is not bs. If you have a aftermarket tune you can fix it from getting cel's like tom.g said. I am going to stay gmstage 1 so I am just going to spring for a high flow cat downpipe and not worry about the cel's. I dont have time and patience to deal with that ****.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Coupe, full load; Yellow, high rise, RPD, LSD, sunroof.

I live in the south, riverbend to be exact - I DD the car, so I can be all over town...

In the last couple weeks I have been getting the crash course on spotting & identifying different year/models of C-SS's - last week saturday a black 08-09 parked beside me in the Southcenter parking lot ~ I knew it was an 08-09 because of the two tone ebony/red seats... had pretty heavy tinted glass too.

I am seeing the odd one around town, I know that Jack Carter sold 2*, but haven't seen too many around town.
iirc the first one JC got was a yellow coupe that arrived in December 08(?) - and they had it till late '09. They also got a black 09 a couple months later... but the sales staff their were kinda douche-bags to me, so I walked - even though I would have probably paid a couple grand more than I ended up paying on this one from Shaganappi.

Amazingly Shaganappi still has a yellow '09; low rise, sunroof, analog boost gague. LSD - someone can get that one for a smoking deal, but they just raised the asking price by about a grand over the price I was given last month because they're having some sale, that attaches a $1000 gas card with the car...

Yup, there aren't many of us - when I met up with some of the locals, I was told that mine was the first TC car they saw, and first with the RPD they saw.

If one of the TC's you saw around town was a white one, strike it off your list of known cars around here because it's dead.

I have the Stage1 already but will be installing it, and the (yet to be ordered) exhaust only after the first "scheduled" oil change... presuming I have restraint
Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by northvibe
cat back stock vs 3" aftermarket is so marginal you probably wouldnt even notice; it could dyno like 1hp but that could be that dyno's margin of error. its honestly for sound.

ANY catless downpipe CAN throw a CEL, that is not bs. If you have a aftermarket tune you can fix it from getting cel's like tom.g said.
Yup

Originally Posted by soundjunky
Coupe, full load; Yellow, high rise, RPD, LSD, sunroof.

I live in the south, riverbend to be exact - I DD the car, so I can be all over town...

In the last couple weeks I have been getting the crash course on spotting & identifying different year/models of C-SS's - last week saturday a black 08-09 parked beside me in the Southcenter parking lot ~ I knew it was an 08-09 because of the two tone ebony/red seats... had pretty heavy tinted glass too.

I am seeing the odd one around town, I know that Jack Carter sold 2*, but haven't seen too many around town.
iirc the first one JC got was a yellow coupe that arrived in December 08(?) - and they had it till late '09. They also got a black 09 a couple months later... but the sales staff their were kinda douche-bags to me, so I walked - even though I would have probably paid a couple grand more than I ended up paying on this one from Shaganappi.

Amazingly Shaganappi still has a yellow '09; low rise, sunroof, analog boost gague. LSD - someone can get that one for a smoking deal, but they just raised the asking price by about a grand over the price I was given last month because they're having some sale, that attaches a $1000 gas card with the car...

Yup, there aren't many of us - when I met up with some of the locals, I was told that mine was the first TC car they saw, and first with the RPD they saw.

If one of the TC's you saw around town was a white one, strike it off your list of known cars around here because it's dead.

I have the Stage1 already but will be installing it, and the (yet to be ordered) exhaust only after the first "scheduled" oil change... presuming I have restraint
I sent you a PM
Old 04-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Any of the available downpipes have an "EPA" stamp on them? Or you guys know what brand of cats they use so I can go check for this? Need to stay STX legal and would hate to be busted for something so stupid.

And just for reference, here's the EPA labeling requirements that should be stamped right on the cat:

Required labels on the converters will have a series of letters and numbers and be in the following format:

N/XX/YYYY/ZZZZ for new ones

U/XX/YYYY/ZZZZ for used

where N - indicates a new converter

U - indicates a used converter

XX - is the manufacturer's code issued by EPA

YYYY - is usually a numerical designation of the vehicle application or part number

ZZZZ - is the month and year of manufacture (i.e., "0187" for January 1987)

Anyone seen this on there aftermarket catted DP?

Last edited by jboogie; 04-03-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Whats the difference of a spun metal vs metal matrix? I cant seem to find a difference....some sites say spun matrix metal so idk.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 PM

"MagnaFlow fabricates each converter body from a single CNC-formed and laser-welded tubular section, which is then spun into a 4" round converter body shape. Each converter is literally manufactured around the ceramic catalyst, which is securely tucked inside, and necks down to thicker gauge material at the inlet/outlet for maximum durability." <--- what they said.

Kinda weird. You would think that if a ceramic catalyst would work just as well all cats would be using that insted of titanium?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
On the ZZP webpage, I have an option between 2.5 or 3" downpipe. Which one do I need if I have the stock exhaust system?

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=540&catid=155
Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 PM

3" will fit the stock exhaust, get 3" if you have a lnf.

macgyver - that is a lsj one.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Macgyver2484
On the ZZP webpage, I have an option between 2.5 or 3" downpipe. Which one do I need if I have the stock exhaust system?

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=540&catid=155
Originally Posted by northvibe
3" will fit the stock exhaust, get 3" if you have a lnf.

macgyver - that is a lsj one.
Exactly whatever you do don't buy one of those.

You need this one:

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...1016&catid=187
Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, I didn't see that. Thanks. Sometimes I get LSJ and LNF mixed up.

Quick Reply: All You Need to Know About Downpipes