All You Need to Know About Downpipes - Page 6 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Engine Technical Discussion > 2.0L LNF Performance Tech
All You Need to Know About Downpipes >

All You Need to Know About Downpipes

2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

All You Need to Know About Downpipes

Old 04-23-2010, 11:44 PM
  #126  
New Member
 
Join Date: 02-05-10
Location: Illinois
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so I've had the synapse catless for a couple months now. Absolutely love it and now that the muffler has been removed...GREAT SOUND!!!

I only really have one question to ask and it's not to any of the members it's to GM...are you f'n serious...2 cats???? That along with the plastic endtanks on the stock fmic have got to be the dumbest things I've ever seen on a car that's supposed to be a "sports" car. Blew up my stock fmic in less than 1000 miles, GM replaced the first one...the second one got cashed at 1500...that one got replaced by the synapse fmic. No problems since and oh lets see, I've actually tuned the car now...first 2 were ko'd by stock boost levels.
Skunk is offline  
Old 04-24-2010, 05:22 PM
  #127  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
tom.g's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-11-09
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason there are two cats is so they can meet strict emmisions standards and the reason the downpipe dips down a bit for where the O2 sensor is, is so that the flow going past the O2 sensor is smooth (atleast that's the only reason I can think off) not the greatest for performance but that's how it needed to be done.

As for the plastic end tanks on the IC, I agree it's not the strongest/best flowing thing but it's cost effiecient and almost all cars that are turboed have IC's with plastic end tanks.
tom.g is offline  
Old 05-20-2010, 02:40 AM
  #128  
Banned
 
Join Date: 04-30-09
Location: Virginia
Posts: 459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well this has def been a good read. Still unable to make my decision lmfao. Think I'm just going to go catless and get the Trifecta tune. F the warranty. Haven't had any problems with the car.
JTurner.CTN is offline  
Old 05-20-2010, 02:55 AM
  #129  
Senior Member
 
Caligula's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-09
Location: tennessee
Posts: 6,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So if I have a header, and a catback.. is the downpipe really worth it? Since im not getting a tune?
Caligula is offline  
Old 05-20-2010, 03:07 AM
  #130  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-23-09
Location: Bakersfiled,CA
Posts: 957
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice write up dude
Berto09ss is offline  
Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM
  #131  
Senior Member
 
JPizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-28-06
Location: Tampa, fl
Posts: 5,790
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobaltssdudee View Post
So if I have a header, and a catback.. is the downpipe really worth it? Since im not getting a tune?
You have a S/C? This is pertainin to LNF's, but yes I do still say a downpipe is worth it, and get it catless. And why aren't you getting a tune????
JPizzle is offline  
Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM
  #132  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 13,454
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobaltssdudee View Post
So if I have a header, and a catback.. is the downpipe really worth it? Since im not getting a tune?
hmmm, two posts, and no one said it??!

You cannot have a header and a downpipe/headpipe;
Either the term headpipe or downpipe are used (interchangeably) to describe the piece of bent pipe which bolts up directly to the exhaust manifold, and usually connects to the catalytic converter - so if you have a header you are (99% of the time) replacing both the headpipe/downpipe as well as the factory exhaust manifold.

If you have a "header" (and I use the term loosely) which needs connect to the stock pipe inforont of the cat, then your header is essentially an overglorified exhaust manifold; real headers connect directly to the head, and are no less that aprox 24-36" long

Since I do not know what any headers used on the 2.2 or LSJ engine look like, I am attaching two pictures of real headers made for the precursor to the Ecotec;


As you can see by their size, there would be zero need for piping behind this header, and infront of the stock catalytic converter location... assuming you're running one

nuff said!?

Last edited by soundjunky; 05-20-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: small brain fart pertaining to the 1990-1991 GM 'LD2' headpipe and just about all other applications
soundjunky is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 PM
  #133  
Banned
 
Join Date: 04-30-09
Location: Virginia
Posts: 459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soundjunky View Post
hmmm, two posts, and no one said it??!

You cannot have a header and a downpipe/headpipe;
Either the term headpipe or downpipe are used (interchangeably) to describe the piece of bent pipe which bolts up directly to the exhaust manifold, and usually connects to the catalytic converter - so if you have a header you are (99% of the time) replacing both the headpipe/downpipe as well as the factory exhaust manifold.

If you have a "header" (and I use the term loosely) which needs connect to the stock pipe inforont of the cat, then your header is essentially an overglorified exhaust manifold; real headers connect directly to the head, and are no less that aprox 24-36" long

Since I do not know what any headers used on the 2.2 or LSJ engine look like, I am attaching two pictures of real headers made for the precursor to the Ecotec;


As you can see by their size, there would be zero need for piping behind this header, and infront of the stock catalytic converter location... assuming you're running one

nuff said!?
More than enough seeing as this thread is aiming at the LNF platform. Guy asked for his S/C and it was cleared up for him....?
JTurner.CTN is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 PM
  #134  
Senior Member
 
Caligula's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-09
Location: tennessee
Posts: 6,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone tell me how I make a check engine light go away when its thrown from a high flo cat?

I heard reflash? But how would I go about gettn one?
Caligula is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 PM
  #135  
Banned
 
Join Date: 04-30-09
Location: Virginia
Posts: 459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobaltssdudee View Post
Someone tell me how I make a check engine light go away when its thrown from a high flo cat?

I heard reflash? But how would I go about gettn one?
Get it cleared at the dealer if you want. Buy a tool that allows you to clear codes. Could try disconnecting your battery and then reconnecting it and starting the car and it might work as well.
JTurner.CTN is offline  
Old 05-22-2010, 12:41 AM
  #136  
Senior Member
 
Caligula's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-09
Location: tennessee
Posts: 6,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTurner.CTN View Post
Get it cleared at the dealer if you want. Buy a tool that allows you to clear codes. Could try disconnecting your battery and then reconnecting it and starting the car and it might work as well.
Thanks.

Sorry everyone for posting the question in the lnf place, but no one anwsered in the lsj one.
Caligula is offline  
Old 05-22-2010, 01:13 AM
  #137  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 13,454
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobaltssdudee View Post
Thanks.

Sorry everyone for posting the question in the lnf place, but no one anwsered in the lsj one.
that's because all the LSJ guys are busy complaining that they miss the days when the LSJ was the hot car ~ so they're left to pout
soundjunky is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 AM
  #138  
Banned
 
Join Date: 04-30-09
Location: Virginia
Posts: 459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the MPx downpipe? Looking to get a catless. The code will be cleared if necessary. Just can't decide who to go with. Looking at either MPx or ZZP.
JTurner.CTN is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
  #139  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-14-09
Location: Woodbine, Maryland
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just recieved my ZZP Catless in the mail! It didn't come with new gaskets, so should I buy new ones or just see what the old ones look like and reuse them? The parts guy at the dealership said it doesn't say to replace them upon removing or changing the downpipe so I don't know what I should do...
rdskin21 is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
  #140  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-22-07
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 1,271
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTurner.CTN View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the MPx downpipe? Looking to get a catless. The code will be cleared if necessary. Just can't decide who to go with. Looking at either MPx or ZZP.
Yes, I just got a catless MPx downpipe installed. It is a VERY high quality piece. The welds are fantastic and it has many options. It's about 15 lbs lighter than stock, too.

Oh, and no matter what ANYONE else says, a catless downpipe with stock catback sounds like heaven....
I will do a video when I can.
cobalt9123 is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:12 AM
  #141  
Member
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: PA
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's about 15 lbs lighter than stock, too.
Don't think so...

Stock DP with sensor = 18lb
2000Firehawk is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 AM
  #142  
Banned
 
Join Date: 04-30-09
Location: Virginia
Posts: 459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post
Yes, I just got a catless MPx downpipe installed. It is a VERY high quality piece. The welds are fantastic and it has many options. It's about 15 lbs lighter than stock, too.

Oh, and no matter what ANYONE else says, a catless downpipe with stock catback sounds like heaven....
I will do a video when I can.
Also have MPx catless. It is a very quality peace. Not 15 lbs lighter but def lighter :P
JTurner.CTN is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM
  #143  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 06-07-06
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,103
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rdskin21 View Post
Just recieved my ZZP Catless in the mail! It didn't come with new gaskets, so should I buy new ones or just see what the old ones look like and reuse them? The parts guy at the dealership said it doesn't say to replace them upon removing or changing the downpipe so I don't know what I should do...
reuse them
northvibe is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 PM
  #144  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-31-10
Location: Texas
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone want to sell me their catless DP? pm me =]
formula1rr is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:29 PM
  #145  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: 11-24-09
Location: Berea, ky
Posts: 722
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just have a quick question about downpipes.

i have always been told that not having a cat in your exhaust will eventually premature failure in the exhuast valves. i have been told this by some very credible people and it really makes me wanted to get a DP with a cat. however i really like the sound of the catless. any answers?
mccullj is offline  
Old 05-30-2010, 11:45 AM
  #146  
New Member
 
Join Date: 05-29-10
Location: concord, NH
Posts: 71
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what down pipe it better the hahn or ZZP people keep tellin me diff i have a hahn catback n intake on my 09 SS. would just like to kno what PPL think
myrt is offline  
Old 05-30-2010, 12:13 PM
  #147  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-09-09
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 582
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myrt View Post
what down pipe it better the hahn or ZZP people keep tellin me diff i have a hahn catback n intake on my 09 SS. would just like to kno what PPL think
Some people dont like the design of the o2 bung for the ZZP downpipe. It is however cheaper then the Hahn one. I'd recommend giving the MPx (ModernPerformance) Downpipe a look. It's cheaper then both right now, and I helped a friend install his and it looked like a good downpipe.
SeanEE89 is offline  
Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 PM
  #148  
Banned
 
Join Date: 04-30-09
Location: Virginia
Posts: 459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO all the downpipes are virtually the same especially if you are going with catless. If your going catless I'm going to think you are getting your car tuned and you can disable any catalytic convertor codes. I have the MPx Catless downpipe on me and it is pretty amazing. The HAHN and ZZP seem to be at or about the same quality and piece
JTurner.CTN is offline  
Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 PM
  #149  
New Member
 
Join Date: 05-29-10
Location: concord, NH
Posts: 71
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow ok thanks guys. and yea im goin catless so ill go look at that mp downpipe now.
myrt is offline  
Old 05-30-2010, 08:25 PM
  #150  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (24)
 
TurboTechRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-28-05
Location: On Here
Posts: 13,641
Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by myrt View Post
what down pipe it better the hahn or ZZP people keep tellin me diff i have a hahn catback n intake on my 09 SS. would just like to kno what PPL think
Personally I like to stick to one brand for the complete exhaust system. Mixing and matching may cause issues.
TurboTechRacing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All You Need to Know About Downpipes


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.