2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Intake Camshaft Sensor ISSUE!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dealer replaced the valve cover gasket and cleaned around the sensor so far so good I will continue to check it every day though.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 PM

the truth it only takes 5 mins to do cause i did my own, Im a tech at the dealership
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by krzy8
the truth it only takes 5 mins to do cause i did my own, Im a tech at the dealership
Mine was still leaking after the dealer replaced it so I finally said to hell with it and fixed it myself. You have to remove the fuel line using a 17 mm open end wrench then it is a lot easier to get to the sensor. Take a 10mm socket and remove the bolt holding the sensor on and about 1/2 ounce of oil will dribble out so have a rag handy. I could tell it was leaking still because ther was fresh oil around the plastic base after the o-ring. The o-ring is slightly too small cross section wise and it fitts too loose in it groove. I took it out cleaned everthing up with carb cleaner and smeared a bead of black RTV (maxium oil resistance and high temp too) in the o-ring groove first then I put the oring back in the groove and smeared a bead on the outside of the o-ring and I quickly reassembled car and let it dry for 24 hours. Caution: check to make sure your fuel lines are not leaking after you put them back together. I was very careful about lining everthing up and evenly tightening but I still got a small fuel leak. I had to take it apart and reseat the fitting to stop it. If you run into no issues it takes 20 min total, but took me longer because of the fuel leak. Hope that helps
Old 03-10-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, i just stumbled onto this post today so I took a look at my cam sensor and what do you know its leaking.....
Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by thehov
well, i just stumbled onto this post today so I took a look at my cam sensor and what do you know its leaking.....
The dealer will not be able to fix it by replacing the sensor just take yours off and fix it like I explained my my post above it is fairly easy just clean it up good and let it dry for 24 hours and check for fuel leaks after you put the fuel line back on. If you turn your key to the run position it will pressurize the line you do not have to start the car.
All the sensors seem to leak.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Well, at 3000KM mine is not leaking, and my charge piping hasnt come loose either... Im sure thats all gonna change after a few more km though.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
Well, at 3000KM mine is not leaking, and my charge piping hasnt come loose either... Im sure thats all gonna change after a few more km though.
Have you run your fingers under the pump near the sensor it is a very slow leak mine leak approx 1/2 ounce of oil or less in 5000 miles or 8000 kilometers.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM

yes. I was very thorough about this, since it involves losing oil. Im sure it will start leaking, but it hasnt yet... No oil on the floor or anything. Maybe I have a magical LNF?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:59 PM

yes. I was very thorough about this, since it involves losing oil. Im sure it will start leaking, but it hasnt yet... No oil on the floor or anything. Maybe I have a magical LNF?
Maybe they changed the sensor o-ring size or something. The Dealer replaced mine and it was still leaking so I fixed it.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 AM

My balt was built in Oct 08, maybe cars built around this date have an upgraded o ring. I would ask the dealership but I am sure I will get the classic shoulder shrug and confused look.

Checked again this morning, bone dry, charge pipe is also super snug, no cracking, nothing... I have a few nice pulls on her as well. Nothing special though...
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, i checked mine again last night because i smelt some burning of oil and my fix didnt work. Im gunna take it to the dealer on Friday and have them replace the sensor and fix it with RTV or sealant.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Black08SSTC
Yea, i checked mine again last night because i smelt some burning of oil and my fix didnt work. Im gunna take it to the dealer on Friday and have them replace the sensor and fix it with RTV or sealant.
What did you do to try to fix it?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RTV, but it wasnt fully clean i guess
Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Black08SSTC
RTV, but it wasnt fully clean i guess
I used carb cleaner (dries oil out like there is no tomorrow) and cleaned the hole really well and the sensor I even took the o-ring off and cleaned the inside of the o-ring and its groove. I think it worked but it is too soon to tell yet. I also smeared the RTV in the oring's groove first then I put the o-ring in and smeared another bead on the outside I hope it works... Crosses fingers!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 AM

I dropped my car off to "fix" this issue on mine, I told them its leaking at the camshaft sensor and when they wrote it up the put oil leak and didnt list where.... So I'm sure after the RO gets to the techs hand he'll be looking for a leak and not find it- we shall see. I also fall in the vin range for the rotors and I also told them the tsb number which they blew off and said, "we will take a look". They didnt write the tsb # down either....

Hmmmm....

Update

So I talked to the service writer and the rotors are going to be coverd, she also said the tech looked all over the motor and couldnt find an oil leak. I asked if they told the tech that it was at the camshaft sensor like I explained this morning and of course they didnt. I even offered to send them a picture but she said, "no thanks, I'll get it back in to take a look at it... "

Last edited by thehov; 03-11-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM

I will snap a pic of my rotors too, they look the same as my lsj's did... nothing out of the ordinary, no grinding noises etc etc... man....

1) No oil leaking from camshaft sensor
2) Charge pipe is snug, and is in fine shape
3) My rotors are showing signs of normal wear

* Knocks on wood *
Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM

I will snap a pic of my rotors too, they look the same as my lsj's did... nothing out of the ordinary, no grinding noises etc etc... man....

* Knocks on wood *
Lucky bastard. My car has been to the dealer a least 5 times already.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 PM

took mine in...

dealer did the dye test and all is well...said the oil that was there in that area is spillage from my last oil change...which did in fact happen...

though they dont look good i keep being told that the wear on my rear rotors is normal....

still waiting on the new ic though...
Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Removed the fuel line & sensor tonight. Cleaned the sensor & O-ring & sealed it up with RTV. The O-ring sure seems too narrow for the groove in the sensor. Waiting a few hours to fire it up & check the fuel line for leaks. BTW, I've got 11,500 miles on it now & I noticed the leak around 5k I think. Mine was produced July 31, '08
Also re-routed the vacuum line from the manifold so I can get the oil filter in & out now without making a mess. It sure was easier to access it on my N/A 2.4 G5 GT but I like the 'balt a lot more.

Checked the T-bolt & charge piping and all is well. Tightened up the bolt a turn or so against the spring just in case.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 PM

...waiting on my dealer to get parts. They were very receptive to fixing the intake cam sensor leak, and valve cover leak that sprung-up. Washed my car (albeit, poorly) before giving it back to me. I guess that was worth the "diagnostic trip."
Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
Removed the fuel line & sensor tonight. Cleaned the sensor & O-ring & sealed it up with RTV. The O-ring sure seems too narrow for the groove in the sensor. Waiting a few hours to fire it up & check the fuel line for leaks. BTW, I've got 11,500 miles on it now & I noticed the leak around 5k I think. Mine was produced July 31, '08
Also re-routed the vacuum line from the manifold so I can get the oil filter in & out now without making a mess. It sure was easier to access it on my N/A 2.4 G5 GT but I like the 'balt a lot more.

Checked the T-bolt & charge piping and all is well. Tightened up the bolt a turn or so against the spring just in case.
X2.
The o-ring is very narrow for the groove and kind of loose in there that is why I put RTV in the groove first and then all over the outside of the o-ring. I rerouted that vac line too. It really helps. I would let the RTV fully cure (24 hours) if possible before you fire it back up.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:22 PM

* Knocks on wood *
09's didnt have rotor problems....

They didnt replace my cam sensor because they said its classifiedas "seepage" not
a "leak"(which actually drips). GM says that "seepage" is normal......lol.... I talked
to my coworker(subaru regional warranty rep) and he said that they are correct, unless it
actually drips they can let it go. Although Chevy did say they would monitor it on my next
oil change....
Old 03-12-2009, 04:33 PM

I took mine to the dealer three weeks ago and had it replaced. They cleaned the area as well...no leaks yet.....
Old 03-12-2009, 04:35 PM

They didnt replace my cam sensor because they said its classifiedas "seepage" not
a "leak"(which actually drips). GM says that "seepage" is normal......lol.... I talked
to my coworker(subaru regional warranty rep) and he said that they are correct, unless it
actually drips they can let it go. Although Chevy did say they would monitor it on my next
oil change....
I am sorry but a leak is a leak. A seep is still a leak even if it does not drip. Seepage is in noway normal for a brand new car. After 100K miles ok but not a brand new car.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

oil change....
09's don't have rotor problems...??

I wish.

Quick Reply: Intake Camshaft Sensor ISSUE!!!!!!