2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Intake Camshaft Sensor ISSUE!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so I misunderstood the diagnosis, the dye test was run and my work order says:

"Dye test for oil leak rear cam leak parts ordered"
Part Number: 12589459
Description: PLANTE N 002930 AR

Just thought I'd pass this along and I'll let you know the results when the part comes in .
Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by sheldon729
They joys of being a gm tech with access to all

Dude y didnt you just go to gm and get warrenty
Didn't go to the dealer as I have a friend that has inside GM information and GM has said that a little seapage is normal,I think different,its a new car,it shouldn't leak,end of story!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, my '09 w/4190 miles purchased Feb 2009 and built 11/08 is leaking as well. I just did the first oil change on it today since buying (ya, I don't drive much) and theres oil all over the place. I honestly can't really tell where its coming from... pump or cam sensor.

Bad enough that its leaking down on to the large wire loom below, and "seepage" or "leak" I think most of you know that oil on split tube loom pretty much owns it over time.

I've not so much as turned a wrench on this car besides changing the oil on it the other day. I also honestly don't beat on this car at all really. I'm going to make an appt to see the dealer on monday, but I fully expect to get the run around. Any tips here guys?

I traded in a 1999 Volvo S70 T5 for this car, which I loved.. just had a billion miles on it..... and it leaked nary a drop of oil or seeped I don't care what GM says, this is not new car behavior.

You guys can call me lazy or whatever, but I really don't feel like turning wrenches on this car. If this is a simple matter of an underspec'd o-ring, you'd think GM would just issue a new pn and call it good.

These pictures make it look better than it is:

http://www.ecimulti.org/gallery2/mai...serialNumber=1

---

EDIT:

I take major offense to this post.

You have, on multiple occasions, stuck up for GM on "simple" issues like this.

Look, I don't know about you other guys... but I work a shitload of hours lately. I do not have time to remove sensors, spread RTV on this & that or swap orings around hoping for the best. If its so "******* simple" then submit the **** to GM tech and get a TSB out so the parts swapping monkeys will fix it once and for all.

FWIW, I also own a Syclone and it doesn't leak anything I'm also quite mechanically inclined.

I paid good money for this car, and I already have enough "toy" cars to work on in the little spare time I occasionally get (see sig). It's not my responsibility to make this Cobalt a non leaky pile of ****.... END OF STORY. I'm honestly not trying to be a ***** towards you, but like I just worked 30 hours STRAIGHT. My ability to tinker with my daily driver just doesnt exsist.

Originally Posted by Maven
This absolutely frickin mind boggling................How can there be almost 150 posts on this simple subject, some of them apparently from GM technician and no one has yet just put a thicker o-ring on the sensor or spread some sealant on the joint and been done with it????????????????

Seriosuly. Stop bitching, stop waiting fro someone else to do something. If you know what the ******* problem is just fix it for ***** sake!!!!!!!!!!

Its oil leaking around an o-ring.....its not rocket surgery.

Last edited by Gimpster; 08-16-2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-16-2009, 02:32 AM

i agree gimpster. it's a brand new car under warranty. it should not leak any oil and if it does it should be a warranty claim. not a do it yourself to save gm time bullshit. i just saw this thread and will be checking my car in the morning.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 PM

**** just checked mine it leaking. Can someone show me a good pic of exactly were the sensor is please.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:32 PM

I might have some pics in my gallery, ill check

negative on the gallery pics

Last edited by Black08SSTC; 08-17-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Talked to the father he is goin to look at it then I will be calling the dealer.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:51 PM

son of a bitch, i have an 09 with 9k on it and sure enough i got this problem
Old 08-17-2009, 01:59 PM

im almost positive 98% of the SS/TC's have this so called "seepage" mine was bad enough to soak the black cardboard cover thats suppose to help with the DI ticking lol, thats like putting a piece of plastic over and exhaust haha
Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Black08SSTC
im almost positive 98% of the SS/TC's have this so called "seepage" mine was bad enough to soak the black cardboard cover thats suppose to help with the DI ticking lol, thats like putting a piece of plastic over and exhaust haha
It is definately the high pressure fuel pump leaking on your car. Mine was doing the same thing. I tried black RTV and it worked for a few hundred miles but it started seeping again. I used a cork and rubber gasket that I made using the stocker as a templet and so far so good. No seepage at all. On a side note I have looked under the hoods of 8 different LNFs includig mine and all were leaking from the pump. None from the cam sensor.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 PM

I'm a little bit calmed down from when I posted my diatribe.

What's our "out" then, if we have any? I stopped by the dealership today and they essentially quoted the TSB on "acceptable oil usage". I can already tell they're not going to fix it. I'm curious if we could try to enguage that gmtunersource guy on this.

I realize yes, I could tear this car apart and fix it... but this is my daily driver. Unfortunatly my Syclone is apart right now for some repairs. Like I said, I'm 100% competent mechanic, but I really just don't have time for it. I also really HATE oil leaks especially on a vehicle I've owned for 6 months and pay on.

Originally Posted by Terminator2
It is definately the high pressure fuel pump leaking on your car. Mine was doing the same thing. I tried black RTV and it worked for a few hundred miles but it started seeping again. I used a cork and rubber gasket that I made using the stocker as a templet and so far so good. No seepage at all. On a side note I have looked under the hoods of 8 different LNFs includig mine and all were leaking from the pump. None from the cam sensor.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Called dealer they ordered the cam sensor. Said they never heard about this before. Didn't even look at the car just ordered the part and will call me when it comes in all covered under warranty.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gimpster
I'm a little bit calmed down from when I posted my diatribe.

What's our "out" then, if we have any? I stopped by the dealership today and they essentially quoted the TSB on "acceptable oil usage". I can already tell they're not going to fix it. I'm curious if we could try to enguage that gmtunersource guy on this.

I realize yes, I could tear this car apart and fix it... but this is my daily driver. Unfortunatly my Syclone is apart right now for some repairs. Like I said, I'm 100% competent mechanic, but I really just don't have time for it. I also really HATE oil leaks especially on a vehicle I've owned for 6 months and pay on.
Dealer made one attempt to fix it and it didnot work then I said f-it and fixed it myself on the second try. If I can fix it myself I do because I hate other people I dont even know working on my cars.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer made one attempt to fix it and it didnot work then I said f-it and fixed it myself on the second try. If I can fix it myself I do because I hate other people I dont even know working on my cars.
My sentiments exactly! Usually get it back greased up inside & out. I know mine's still seeping a bit from somewhere in that area, I'll have to look at the HP Fuel pump next. Already sealed up the cam sensor.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
My sentiments exactly! Usually get it back greased up inside & out. I know mine's still seeping a bit from somewhere in that area, I'll have to look at the HP Fuel pump next. Already sealed up the cam sensor.
Go to the auto store and get some of that cork and rubber sheeting that you use to make a gasket and use the stock high pressure fuel pump gasket as a templet for the new one. Sealed mine up nice and tight.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM

I guess I'm way less sentimental about this Cobalt than some of you I don't care if someone else works on it, this is just A -> B transportation for me. Thus why I don't really want to deal with it. I'm the same with my wifes DD Yaris (although, nothing ever goes wrong with it) and refuse to even change the oil on it.

Id rather be turning wrenches on my Syclone or MR2, not this shitbox.

SO, I guess this weekend I know what I'll be doing instead of watching baseball or playing with my daughter. I'll be fixing the leak GM can't fix for me I have a lot of make-a-gasket material around and I think I'll give it a nice thin coat of copper spray RTV to ensure this stops.

The cam sensor I intend to take measurements and find a properly spec'd oring @ McMaster Carr or the like. Unless someone beats me to it first, I'll be happy to post whatever p/n# I discover.

Oh well, life sucks.

Sorry for being a bitter old ***** about this guys, just kinda not pleased with my purchase of this car lately. My wife pretty much begged me NOT to buy it and is laughing in my face over this.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM

i put high heat RTV silicone gasket maker on my o-ring (no homo) and i just looked on my break at 5pm and its holding fast a 8000k mi later
Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to the auto store and get some of that cork and rubber sheeting that you use to make a gasket and use the stock high pressure fuel pump gasket as a templet for the new one. Sealed mine up nice and tight.
I have some garlock gasket material here if I need it, I cleaned up the flange under the HP fuel pump tonight, if it has seepage on it tomorrow, I'll fix it this weekend. I've already sealed up the cam sensor last winter and did the camshaft end plate last Sunday. It's a lot easier to get to with the Injen CP on it. I was able to tighen the HPFP mounting bolts an eighth of a turn tonight.

I hate to take the fuel lines apart again until I have replacements on hand. Too many tightenings reduce the diameter of the tubing at the swageings.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by sheldon729
Gm has a info bulletin on it. mine was leakin and i replaced both the sensor with seal and the camshaft end plate seal.

No issues now
Whats the info bulletin?

Any official recall/TSB on this?? I want some info to have my dealer fix this...
I'm not mechanical inclined like most of the member on this board...
(yes, i read the Grimpster's how-to...)
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 PM

I noticed oil seeping over near the passenger side of the valve cover.... WTF Oh well i give up
Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Yah thats another common leak. Re-torque your valve cover bolts and I did mine while I had my car apart (wasnt leaking there yet).

JT-KGY: I've not heard of a TSB coming out yet, but I'm also not a dealer tech so
Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Yah thats another common leak. Re-torque your valve cover bolts and I did mine while I had my car apart (wasnt leaking there yet).

JT-KGY: I've not heard of a TSB coming out yet, but I'm also not a dealer tech so
I made this post on the general SS/TC forum..
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/tsb-recall-lnf-engine-oil-leak-191179/

Hopefually the TSB rukkee posted is the one..
Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 AM

Thats a different leak (heh, go figure) that some cars are aparantly seeing on the front crankshaft seal. You would see that leak on the passenger side around the crank pulley region.

I've been keeping my eye on that, and no front main seal leaks yet.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 PM

I have this leak from my sensor also, my oil level is down a smudge but its been 3 months since the oil was changed. Ill look around for more leaks.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:30 AM

Thats a different leak (heh, go figure) that some cars are aparantly seeing on the front crankshaft seal. You would see that leak on the passenger side around the crank pulley region.

I've been keeping my eye on that, and no front main seal leaks yet.
damn.. I think I have that leak too.. I'll take some pictures...

Gimpster,
What are some possible results of all these leaks?... other than a filthy engine bay or melt electricals?
Will the engine be down on power? Blow up during hard runs?

Quick Reply: Intake Camshaft Sensor ISSUE!!!!!!