GM STAGE KITs FAQs - Read Me First! - Page 8 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Engine Technical Discussion > 2.0L LSJ Performance Tech
GM STAGE KITs FAQs - Read Me First! >

GM STAGE KITs FAQs - Read Me First!

2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

GM STAGE KITs FAQs - Read Me First!

Old 09-20-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by wallus13
I just ordered the stage II kit from fredbeansparts for about $600 and I went to my dealer to see how much it would be to install. He quoted me $84 per hour... should I be shopping around and how long will this install take?
should take 3 hours tops if they know wtf they are doing
Old 09-21-2006, 05:44 PM

just one question.. I know its written that this is for people who have Stage 2 installed and that the people who plan on buying the new one should come with the updated flash.. but I bought mine a long time ago like in April so am I going to need to say something about the updated flash.. or do you mean the code that came with my kit is the same code that has been updated.. thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by KangolRiot
just one question.. I know its written that this is for people who have Stage 2 installed and that the people who plan on buying the new one should come with the updated flash.. but I bought mine a long time ago like in April so am I going to need to say something about the updated flash.. or do you mean the code that came with my kit is the same code that has been updated.. thanks
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...819#post511819

Old 09-21-2006, 07:03 PM

Old 09-22-2006, 12:49 AM
.:Müll Renntechnik:.

Originally Posted by wallus13
I just ordered the stage II kit from fredbeansparts for about $600 and I went to my dealer to see how much it would be to install. He quoted me $84 per hour... should I be shopping around and how long will this install take?
Definatly shop around ... BUT the real question is... how many hours? They took 6.5 hours to install mine... WTF! They told me I got a deal because it actually took them 8. F*CK THAT! That is a RIPPOFF! So make sure they tell you how long they are going to take. Should be 3-4 hours depending on how many times they have done it... 4.5 at MOST!

P.S. And I found out today he didn't even install half the **** right because he didn't read directions. Now I know you are all excited to get Stage2 on... but trust me... take your time... and INTERIGATE the Mechanics!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by peg's fastest ss
well i call bs on the tire measurments due to those tires are designed to only last 30,000 km so its even less for miles... the tires are very soft and have AA traction but there soft and life expetency is limited.....if they went by tire wear that dealership should have its head examined.... im a tech at a dealership and thats unheard of... if we really wanted to know what a car was doing we hook up a scanner and see what the car has been redlined too and how fast personally though never seen it done just my 2 cents

I hear you man, I think it's B.S. too. But I now have a trouble ticket with GM and as soon as I call back I'll know just how much B.S. was in what that stealership told me.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 PM

ok, so where can one of these kits be purchased, and about how much do they run? my ss(sc) was the first and only one my dealership has sold so i haven't even bothered talking to the dealership about them yet because i figure they don't know much more about it than i do
Old 09-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by dont mess with elmo!
ok, so where can one of these kits be purchased, and about how much do they run? my ss(sc) was the first and only one my dealership has sold so i haven't even bothered talking to the dealership about them yet because i figure they don't know much more about it than i do
Cobalt Addiction, CrateEngineDepot, Fred Beans, just go to the supporting vendors section and check it out.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by dont mess with elmo!
Crate engine depot has them for $550 plus about 10 in shipping, lowest you WILL find! hurry tho theya re until he sells out!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt
Crate engine depot has them for $550 plus about 10 in shipping, lowest you WILL find! hurry tho theya re until he sells out!

what and where is crate engine.. dont have the website.. but 550 for stage 2?... and that wil void warrenty wont it? please reply thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:40 PM

SALE is OVER

Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt

order my friday after work, that was a weekend only sale for Stage 2 at 550, and yes i got one for that price, Monday morning they went back to normal sale price of 630 something i believe.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:02 PM

so with a K&N only you got 13.7 seconds on the dyno ? wow
Old 09-27-2006, 10:53 PM

how does the stage 2 kit effect the gas millage? I love the 34 miles to the gallon i get
Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by sauksy
how does the stage 2 kit effect the gas millage? I love the 34 miles to the gallon i get
You get 34MPG? wow. Anyhow the general consensus is it ups the MPG.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:41 AM

Cool Stage 2 Kit Installed

I had the kit installed and notice a huge increase in 2nd gear and on and my Gas mileage went up 4 mpg. Im not lightfooted by any means either. Waiting for stage 3! 247whp 250wtq.

Just keep smiling they will never know what your thinking.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by sauksy
you gain mileage
Old 09-28-2006, 02:29 AM

WopOnTour, you said it right in your post,#24. I did use the press for removing my pulley with out a problem, but that's not to say no other Techs would. So, my contrabution to this thread is this:I recieved many PMs about installation and warranty, my advise; Go to your dealer and ask them IF they have a problem with installing this kit for you, ask them about warranty, ask them WHO will do the install! If they have a problem with any one of these three questions or you do not like the answers, walk away. The reason I say this is, you deserve to have a Tech that "Knows and Cares" about what they are doing on your car. I know this may be hard to find, but it is worth the effort. I, personally, have advised my Parts Dept. and Writers, that I wish to meet and speak to anyone that comes in with questions about these kits or any other matter in referance to Cobalt performance parts and installation.
I just want all of those looking to have these kits installed, to look at more than just price.
NJBLUESS,
Where bouts in Jersey are you located?? I just got my Balt and am still on the fence as far as what kit to go with(Stage 2 or one of the intense kits) and where to go.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:34 AM

thanks folks I think I will invest then sounds like a good deal to me
Old 10-04-2006, 06:40 PM

how long did it take ur gm dealer to install the stage 2 kit and how much about did it cost u?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:21 PM

it can in fact take up to 3/3.5 hours to install the full kit flash and all. if they try and charge you anything over 4 for just the stage 2 they are going to rape you. anything over 3 for stage 1 would be the same thing. the original hub is a bitch to take off.

if you have them install anything else during the same time expect to obviously pay more
Old 10-04-2006, 11:05 PM

Yea I was quoted 4hrs for Stage II install by my dealer. got the update pictures from you other post oni....thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 07:47 AM

stage upgrades/exhaust

Originally Posted by FraGmE
Yea I was quoted 4hrs for Stage II install by my dealer. got the update pictures from you other post oni....thanks
Xrayrick here .
I just got my balt back today from the dealer. I had the STAGE 2 kit put in as well as a GMPP exhaust header,and TOURING catback exhuast system with with BOWTIE exhaust tip. Total of 1500.00 in parts includes tax. Total install price was 600.00 or 8hrs total install time. No CEL's no problems yet. It was all well worth having it installed here locally. No back and forth drive time to the big cities. My dealer did a great job. But then again I've bought 7 cars in the last 10 years from them. What a world of difference. Great pull through first 3 gears and just keeps on climbing in 4th. The 7k rev limiter has not been a problem. The touring exhaust was just right for me. If you want people to notice you. You can make her talk. Once on the hwy she levels off to a nice even purr. She will be taken to Houston after a bit more break in for a dyno and tune just to see what more I can get out of her.
So until next time nothing but beaches and bikinis.

Last edited by xrayrick; 10-09-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:58 PM

where can i go to buy a stage 2 kit
Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 AM

oo the chevy dealer i went to is tellin me it may take 5 hours to install but im thinkin installin it myself and then trailer the car to teh chevy dealer and then let them reflash the computer would that keep warrenty if i do it?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:29 AM

stage 2 upgrade

Originally Posted by Coblt ss super
oo the chevy dealer i went to is tellin me it may take 5 hours to install but im thinkin installin it myself and then trailer the car to teh chevy dealer and then let them reflash the computer would that keep warrenty if i do it?
Unless your dad or uncle owns the dealership. They won't honor your warranty if you install it yourself. It has to be done at the dealership if you want gm to hold up any part of the deal. Do you have a pulley puller? If not that's out-of-pocket or you can rent one from one of the vendors. I forget which one. They are probably estimating 5 hours because they don't have the correct pulley puller to do the job. My dealer didn't have one and had to pull the SC off and use a press to get the factory pulley off. I stayed and oversaw the whole operation. Refused to let them charge me anything over 4 hrs because I told them they would need the pulley puller. Then again I've bought 7 cars from them so they are pretty good to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM STAGE KITs FAQs - Read Me First!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.