2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Cobalt Parts Interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great thanks guys...just trying to upgrade without having to put a turbo or supercharger, kind of leaving that as a last option. Will be getting turbo tech engine mount and transmission mount bushings...since apparently the powels are only for manual transmission lol
Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 PM

06-09 wheel brake conversion help

We have been working on a 2006 cobalt ss 2.0L. Along with having installed a stage 2 kit, a 3" exhaust, and some other modifications, we decided to do a front axle swap. We installed the axle and wheels from a 2009 cobalt ss along with the new larger hub bearing assembly. With the installation complete, we have now come across one major issue. The new hub bearing assembly is not compatible with the old abs pump and the newer abs pump would not be compatible with the older car. Or at least not as far as we have been able to do.

We are hoping that maybe someone can help find a solution to this problem. We have tried contacting companies that make the abs units, hub assemblies, wheel speed senors, etc, and rebuild abs modules. So far none of them knows the answer or seems interested in helping me find an answer. From what I read on other sites, people just disconnect the abs light. I do not want to do this. I want to find a way to make to keep it proper. Your assistance in is this matter would be greatly appreciated, if not maybe you could at least connect me with someone that is able to help.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:54 PM

one thing...cause I´ve been checking some front axles....is there a difference between manual and auto transmission engine in regards of the front axles. Cause on NAPA for example they make the distinction from manual transmission and auto
Old 11-27-2013, 05:58 PM

same thing with wheel hub bearings... They specified sport or non sport suspension....Im lowered with KYB springs and also shocks and struts....so does this really makes any difference...(Im really new at this hole modifying cars and stuff sorry if this are dumb questions :/)
Old 11-27-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by KeyWho
one thing...cause I´ve been checking some front axles....is there a difference between manual and auto transmission engine in regards of the front axles. Cause on NAPA for example they make the distinction from manual transmission and auto
Yes they should be different.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by KeyWho
same thing with wheel hub bearings... They specified sport or non sport suspension....Im lowered with KYB springs and also shocks and struts....so does this really makes any difference...(Im really new at this hole modifying cars and stuff sorry if this are dumb questions :/)
Our cars have a hub assembly that the bearings are in. They are specific to the lug count you have. Base Models have 4 lug and upper models have 5 lug. SS 5 Lugs will fit on lower model 5 lugs, but 4 lug hubs on 4 lug cars only.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by tonyss10r
We have been working on a 2006 cobalt ss 2.0L. Along with having installed a stage 2 kit, a 3" exhaust, and some other modifications, we decided to do a front axle swap. We installed the axle and wheels from a 2009 cobalt ss along with the new larger hub bearing assembly. With the installation complete, we have now come across one major issue. The new hub bearing assembly is not compatible with the old abs pump and the newer abs pump would not be compatible with the older car. Or at least not as far as we have been able to do.

We are hoping that maybe someone can help find a solution to this problem. We have tried contacting companies that make the abs units, hub assemblies, wheel speed senors, etc, and rebuild abs modules. So far none of them knows the answer or seems interested in helping me find an answer. From what I read on other sites, people just disconnect the abs light. I do not want to do this. I want to find a way to make to keep it proper. Your assistance in is this matter would be greatly appreciated, if not maybe you could at least connect me with someone that is able to help.
I honestly don't know, maybe ask Powell.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by tonyss10r

I don't have much information on this issue, but I am somewhat familiar with it, if I am not mistaken I believe the ABS is wired into the BCM and the 05-07 have a different computer system than the 08-10 Cobalt SS. You're best bet would probably try to get a custom LSJ hub that will accept the larger LNF axle splines. Even that might be a difficult task to accomplish. Personally I wouldn't mess with trying to rewire or do a custom ABS system. Why not just get beefier aftermarket axles? Seems like a lot less of a headache.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by tyler.frederick23

id love to know this as well, it would save SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much money
You can add the SS rear lip to an LT bumper but it requires slight modification to be able to mount it properly, a lot of people have done it. The front bumper is the one that has to be from an SS as the LT has a completely different front bumper. Also, I have 2 SS rear lips for sale of you guys are interested. One on Ultra Silver Metallic and one in Victory Red.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Corey V
You can add the SS rear lip to an LT bumper but it requires slight modification to be able to mount it properly, a lot of people have done it. The front bumper is the one that has to be from an SS as the LT has a completely different front bumper. Also, I have 2 SS rear lips for sale of you guys are interested. One on Ultra Silver Metallic and one in Victory Red.
interested on the victory red one....could send some pics pls.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Guys do you know a good brand for axles...all vendors here have only manual trans....I've seen CARDONE on ebay....but dont know the quality....all suggestions are appreciated and welcome
Old 01-03-2015, 04:17 AM

Need Answers

So i have a 09 LT XFE, will any of the SS components fit my car?
Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
most of them.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by DGadd85
So i have a 09 LT XFE, will any of the SS components fit my car?
read through this thread
Old 12-18-2015, 01:52 AM

What all is needed to Suercharge my 2.2L 06' LS?

I have some local guys selling" The full kit" and want to be sure I'm not missing parts.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by derekseay
What all is needed to Suercharge my 2.2L 06' LS?

I have some local guys selling" The full kit" and want to be sure I'm not missing parts.
2.2/2.4L Bolt on Supercharger Kit

Reference a full kit to figure out what you need.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:26 AM

ecu's?

any of the cobalt 2.2 ECU's interchangeable?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobaltsky05
any of the cobalt 2.2 ECU's interchangeable?
ECU doesn't interchange without changing motors and wiring harness.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:51 PM

Turbo exhaust on super

Will a turbo cobalt cat back exhaust fit on a 2006 cobalt ss supercharged
Old 04-19-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The flange is different on the SS/TC than all the other trim levels, other than that flange it fits.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
will LNF knuckles fir on my base model car? also is there a huge difference between the LE5 control arms and LE3 control arms?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by 08_Slowbalt
will LNF knuckles fir on my base model car? also is there a huge difference between the LE5 control arms and LE3 control arms?
LNF Knuckles are not a direct swap as the driveshaft and and the control arm ball joint shafts are different diameters at the least. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the swap?

I know you can use FE5 control arms on an FE1 car and I would assume FE3. The ball joint shaft is bigger on the FE5 control arms but the stock knuckle hole can be spread a little to fit and it is really easy to do. If you make the upgrade to the FE5 control arms I would also recommend installing a spherical trailing control arm bushing while you are at it.
The following users liked this post:
08_Slowbalt (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
LNF Knuckles are not a direct swap as the driveshaft and and the control arm ball joint shafts are different diameters at the least. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the swap?

I know you can use FE5 control arms on an FE1 car and I would assume FE3. The ball joint shaft is bigger on the FE5 control arms but the stock knuckle hole can be spread a little to fit and it is really easy to do. If you make the upgrade to the FE5 control arms I would also recommend installing a spherical trailing control arm bushing while you are at it.
apparently the LE5 knuckles had a shorter steering arm so I'm hoping that it would help road feel and increase steering sensitivity. Then I would like to use LE5 control arms with the spherical lower control arm bushings to improve my handling coupled with koni yellow adjustable and the aftermarket springs that are already on my car. I'm also open to some sway bar options, is there a better front sway bar than the SS/TC one. I want a Powell bar on the back.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by 08_Slowbalt
apparently the LE5 knuckles had a shorter steering arm so I'm hoping that it would help road feel and increase steering sensitivity. Then I would like to use LE5 control arms with the spherical lower control arm bushings to improve my handling coupled with koni yellow adjustable and the aftermarket springs that are already on my car. I'm also open to some sway bar options, is there a better front sway bar than the SS/TC one. I want a Powell bar on the back.
I think it does have a shorter arm but that is the only advantage and only makes the steering quicker like you said. I'm not sure it would be worth all the hassle with the axles and brakes.

Konis are easy to swap in the back but you will need a spring compressor and other tools to put the Koni in the front strut assembly.

It seems to be the consensus that any bar stiffer than the 24mm TC bar does not improve handling characteristics. If you do swap the bar it is easiest to do while are swapping lower control arms as the cradle needs to be removes to access bushings and drill extra hole for 2 bolt TC bushing housing.

I have Powell hardcore bar on the back and honestly I think it is just right. The tail comes around enough with this bar IMO. Some people do go with the stiffer XXX bar although it's not for me.
The following users liked this post:
08_Slowbalt (02-02-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 AM

So I keep warping my rotors after a few times blasting down these back country roads. I was looking at just putting drilled and slotted rotors on my car but I came across a post on Instagram by @mbray_93 showing he did Mini Cooper rotors and LSJ calipers. Any one heard of this before? I'd love to do some drilled and slotted rotors with LSJ calipers.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Parts Interchangeability