Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

V-LEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks pre-ordered!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobalt08LS
i dont have my car back yet so i havent hooked these up yet.
and would it be the main headlight harness id have to tap into? or the harness that comes with the headlight?
whether you tap into the main headlight harness or the one that's on the headlight is your choice. I'm running a retrofit and I put a "T"-tap quick connector (pick up at your local Radioshack) on the harness that's on the headlight itself.

Orange wire is your low beam IIRC... If you want to tie into the main harness, just trace the orange wire back to the main harness and tap into that.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
alright cool, thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 PM

i dont have my car back yet so i havent hooked these up yet.
and would it be the main headlight harness id have to tap into? or the harness that comes with the headlight?
Headlight harness would work best. The wires that are on the back of the headlight of the pig tale as I think it's referred to. Not good with parts names sometimes. Uh how about the wire that goes to the headlight bulb. Best way I can describe it.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
right its all the same but i would tap the removable harness that comes with the headlight (bulbs plug into this) that way it can still be removed easily if need be
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM

yeah that be easier than the makn harness that comes off the car
Old 01-13-2013, 11:59 AM

I am a huge fan of the light out put and amber colors.
However i found that my very first impression when i took the stuff out of the box was that the wiring was cheap, i understand they spent all this cash is R&D for the bulbs and such, but really what is the point of a high end bulb when the wiring for it is the same as a cheap ebay product?
So i go ahead and install only to find that the drl white light is shorting from a crappy connection with the plugs provided. Took some mior crimping in order to gain a solid connection (more than one connection on both sides needed this fix).
Then everything is running great for the first day, im loving the brightness and look..........until the passenger side turn signal begins acting funny, blinking in an abnormal pattern, as well as the white light would flash instead of the amber.
I rechecked all the connections and determined they were good.
Swapped the led driver to the other side and it made the drivers side act like the passenger side, so its the driver.
I went and googled this and turns out im not the only one expierencing this exact issue.
Heres a link for the issue im having and mine behave exactly as this video shows.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 PM

That's odd cuz I haven't had any issue with mine at all. They've been working great for weeks now, knock wood. Now I did get the CLS thing to stop hyper flash. I'm curious of the people having issues did get it too or not.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by victoryredturbalt
I am a huge fan of the light out put and amber colors.
However i found that my very first impression when i took the stuff out of the box was that the wiring was cheap, i understand they spent all this cash is R&D for the bulbs and such, but really what is the point of a high end bulb when the wiring for it is the same as a cheap ebay product?
So i go ahead and install only to find that the drl white light is shorting from a crappy connection with the plugs provided. Took some mior crimping in order to gain a solid connection (more than one connection on both sides needed this fix).
Then everything is running great for the first day, im loving the brightness and look..........until the passenger side turn signal begins acting funny, blinking in an abnormal pattern, as well as the white light would flash instead of the amber.
I rechecked all the connections and determined they were good.
Swapped the led driver to the other side and it made the drivers side act like the passenger side, so its the driver.
I went and googled this and turns out im not the only one expierencing this exact issue.
Heres a link for the issue im having and mine behave exactly as this video shows.
PROBLEMS WITH THE VLEDS V3 TRITON SWITCHBACKS - YouTube
Have you contacted V-LEDs directly? They've resolved issues pretty quickly for me in the past (i.e. when I would receive a defective bulb or something).

Also, are you sure you plugged in the input side to input and the output side to output on the V3 controller box? They seem like they're very easy to mix up. The only thing that is distinguishing the two is the white wire is on the input side IIRC.
Originally Posted by z062007vette
That's odd cuz I haven't had any issue with mine at all. They've been working great for weeks now, knock wood. Now I did get the CLS thing to stop hyper flash. I'm curious of the people having issues did get it too or not.
Mine run with no issues either. One thing that's different about these switchbacks (or maybe others did this too, but I'm pretty sure it's V3 Triton specific) is that when you first unlock the car, the very first blink is white, the rest are amber. I believe it's the circuitry learning whether it will stay on to keep it white (DRL works on both high and low circuits) or if it's a blinker (voltage changed under 3 seconds).
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
right its all the same but i would tap the removable harness that comes with the headlight (bulbs plug into this) that way it can still be removed easily if need be
yeah that be easier than the makn harness that comes off the car
Both are valid points. Easier when removing headlight. But if for whatever reason you do decide to go to the main circuit (on many cars you just don't have that nice harness on the headlight itself), they provided an HID style quick disconnect on the white trigger wire that you connect to your low beam.

Also, the "50% reduction of power" seems more like 25% reduction in brightness from what I could see.. they're still really bright.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM

yes i contacted them after i wrote this, this was my warm up piece hahaha
yes its all wired properly.
it all ran proper the first day then began doing the exact same as the vid.
I also swapped the led driver box to the other side and the problem followed to the other side.
Im pretty sure the driver is at fault and the blink pattern in the vid is identical to the problem im having.
its just a pain as we all know we had to pre order, then they bumped it back another month, then 3 week wait for the shipping to arrive, followed by plug issues, and now a faulty driver that chances are will need to be sent back to them before i get a replacment.
So it boils down to more time waiting and not enjoying the product
Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM

^^^ Yeah, the wait definitely did suck.

And yes, while these are bright, they're still new to the market, and it kind of sucks being the first guinea pigs that they test their product on. I hope they make the control box smaller. And the screws that you put in to screw the bulb in the socket don't quite line up as well as expected (you almost have to force it), but the fit is secure.

But again, they do put out the most light out there so far and the wait was worth it for me. Hope they resolve it soon. Keep us posted on here.... Tell them you're part of an automotive forum, that usually gets things moving quicker since a word of mouth is one of the best boots of sales they have (see this thread, for example LOL )
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM

yes being the test subjects is less then fun, lol
i just felt for the price (most expensive led i have ever bought) that the drivers and wiring would be alittle more quality then they are. I do like the product (the one side that works proper is awesome).
I also agree that its def not 50% reduction, or at least it doesnt seem like it.
I will keep ya's posted on any updates, currently just waiting to hear back from my email book i sent lol
One of the little screwws came un done and fell into my housing.
I left the drivers and the resistors on top of the headlamps and kind fitted them into the availble spaces.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM

*update*
email response below.

"Hi
Thank you for your detailed email on your experience with us and our products, we really appreciate this. We do take quality of our bulbs very seriously, this helps us make better products so again, thank you!

We have indeed found that some of the connectors may have some issues and are working feverishly to engineer new and better ones and anyone affected by this will certainly receive new ones. You also should have been sent instructions, that was clearly an oversight in the shipping department, very sorry about that.

What would you prefer to do?

We can send you a new connection kit (everything besides the bulbs) or we would be happy to issue you a full refund. Please let us know.
Thank you,

Customer Service"
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 AM

boom new connection kit and your good to go. and you can use the bulbs while you wait
Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM

Well after I said that mine weren't having any issues, my driver side did two days later.

I called them and they said to send them an email with the issue and the invoice number.

Did that last night, and haven't heard anything yet.

Slightly off topic question, but after they did their website change, did anyone have issues logging in to their site?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM

when i was doing my install (without intructions) i went to their site multiple times and it wouldnt even load. I ended up gettting instruction from another member on here.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:52 AM

worked for me just now
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM

damn i hope i dont have any problems.
mine are still untouched in the box. still dont have my car back
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM

They got back to me and are shipping out new modules. That was the fastest any so pant had gotten back to me in a defective issue. I got the email mid day yesterday but just didn't get a chance to look at my 20 emails to see it.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Well, I spoke too soon. The passenger side now "warms up" a second longer than the right... When I go to unlock the car, both lights used to flash together, now the passenger side doesn't blink on the first blink, it takes a second or so to warm up, by that time driver's side already switched to amber, but the passenger is still white. Very annoying for a $140 pair of bulbs. Going over to V-LEDs right now to write them an e-mail.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM

"Very annoying for a $140 pair of bulbs"

^^^this
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM

So I just spend 20 minutes on the phone with Jake at V-LEDs, explained my problem to him and he was very helpful, especially after I mentioned that I belong to an automotive online forum, CobaltSS.net in this case (always works wonders)...

In my case, one side on my car started turning on late when you arm/disarm the alarm. It takes a second or two to even turn on, while the other side already turned white and then amber.
After the amber function is done on both of them (i.e. hazards) the good side works as both did before (amber off, the light off for a second, then back on), but the bad side turns white almost instantly.
Jake suggested I request an advanced exchange so I would have my turn signals, even if they're not working properly yet, I don't have to go out and buy replacement bulbs.

I just got done e-mailing them about this, so hopefully I'll have a new module soon.

He did say they're working on a second version of V3 Tritons that would address all the issues that people are randomly running into and they're going to incorporate better style plugs and heavier gauge wires (as found on ballast/HID connection).

V-LEDs have lifetime warranty on their Triton V3s, so at least they have faith in their own products...
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM

That's good that they're gonna fix them. Life time warrenty is nice to have
Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 AM

serega do you have tinted lights?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
serega do you have tinted lights?
Nope. The lens is clear. The housing itself is blacked out. Tinted lights would be illegal.

V3s shine VERY bright even with tinted reflectors in the turn signal though... That was the whole point I was getting them - the brightest LEDs on the market.

This is just the parking light:

Here's the light out of the car (resealed because of some condensation):
Name:  20130111_023026_zpsf46545c6.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  20130111_161523_zps1d6a112d.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  20130112_204831_HDR_zps00cb9907.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  95.9 KB

And here's a shot below the eyelid, blacked out housing (including the reflector)
Name:  20130112_204804_zps83a9a12e.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  108.4 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V-LEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks pre-ordered!