Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

FINALLY an option for us f35 guys. READ!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmiller8006
Pretty sure that's a 16 with a 225/50/16 Hoosier quick time dot.
I'm liking the tire knowledge
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terry11
I'm liking the tire knowledge
Lol. I remember who he bought them off of. As long as my memory is still good lol. But I do know that is a combo you can run.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Dang guys, that was fast. Thanks for the links bro. So how do you like the hoosiers on the street? How tall would that make them around 24ish?
Summit lists their Diameter right on their site.

Tire Diameter: 24.60 in.
I loved them on the street. I ran them with around 30psi of air. 400+whp and second gear didn't spin at all. The first race I did with them (CBR600), I brake boosted 2nd gear at 45mph and had 100% traction. Since I had never experienced traction like that in 2nd gear, I wasn't expecting the rev limiter to come so fast (Maybe 1 second after letting off the brake). Definitely banged the limiter and gave him 2 car lengths. Pulled him back in to half a car by 160mph though.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Lol. I remember who he bought them off of. As long as my memory is still good lol. But I do know that is a combo you can run.
Yep... got them off a guy that lives up in North Ohio. Can't think of the S/N. My wife actually went and picked them up for me because I was in Iraq.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Summit lists their Diameter right on their site.

I loved them on the street. I ran them with around 30psi of air. 400+whp and second gear didn't spin at all. The first race I did with them (CBR600), I brake boosted 2nd gear at 45mph and had 100% traction. Since I had never experienced traction like that in 2nd gear, I wasn't expecting the rev limiter to come so fast (Maybe 1 second after letting off the brake). Definitely banged the limiter and gave him 2 car lengths. Pulled him back in to half a car by 160mph though.
That's freakin ridiculous. I have a 600 and if my car was ever even close to being that fast I would be the happiest guy in the world.

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Yep... got them off a guy that lives up in North Ohio. Can't think of the S/N. My wife actually went and picked them up for me because I was in Iraq.
That's a good wife you have there
Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 AM
G11

granted i run slicks but i run a 24x9x15 and love the extra sidewall! run them at 10 psi and holy crap do i get a launch! i run to about 7500 right now...but will be able to run to at least 8k here soon! i love how the tvs just keeps pulling you hard no matter what rpm!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 PM

There are alot of cars both fwd and rwd that will not perform the same on the road and track. Plan and simple, a 800hp v8 will not perform close to 90% of what it can do at the track on the road without driving on slicks all the time. But I guess if you go to the track with a 800 hp car on street tires you could actually perform close to the same on the street, but nobody with brains does that.
I dont disagree with what you and USMC are saying, but your totally missing my point. its not that your unable to, or cant do it. but like i said IMHO (meaning, to my preference again) I don't want a car as a daily that if I wanted to ring around the track i would have to dramatically change my setup. If I was going to do that, I would just have another vehicle for one or the other.

Yes you can drive around in DR's, but how useful can it be. To me, I occasionally have to drive hundreds of miles a day, so in a month I would need new tires, and DRs arent exactly cheap. So IMHO, if car is only slightly better on the track if i swap out tires quick or just lower pressure, thats perfect, because 99.9999% of my mileage will be on the street, so anything more that would require different / more changes is not worth it in my mind. Awesome performance, but not for me.

I am not surprised you find that line to be "dumb" to you, you both drive high horsepower cars that are track monsters that you happen to drive a lot on the street. Thats fine, I wouldnt want to do that, but different strokes for different folks. I am surprised that you didn't see both sides of the fence tho.

Edit: I don't know if you guys have dailies or if the cobalt is, but if you do have something different then your showing my point. Also, both of your cars are nasty
Old 05-27-2011, 03:41 PM

My cobalt is the daily for me, I have a back up though if it breaks. All I have to do is swap tires at the track, I actually use street tires on the road, but I dont beat the car on the street either.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My cobalt is the daily for me, I have a back up though if it breaks. All I have to do is swap tires at the track, I actually use street tires on the road, but I dont beat the car on the street either.
What kind of hp did you have for that 11.9 second run.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ULWiz Cobalt SS/SC
What kind of hp did you have for that 11.9 second run.
Me and byt messed with the car daily so I don't know. The last dyno I did ws 310 with out meth or the k and n intake. I would say 330 prolly.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 PM

Me and byt messed with the car daily so I don't know. The last dyno I did ws 310 with out meth or the k and n intake. I would say 330 prolly.
wow thats it?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Baron7700
wow thats it?
Thats just a guess though. I dont like to over estimate, but that is prolly close. With a proper set up it wont be that hard to run 11's stock turbo.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

I dont disagree with what you and USMC are saying, but your totally missing my point. its not that your unable to, or cant do it. but like i said IMHO (meaning, to my preference again) I don't want a car as a daily that if I wanted to ring around the track i would have to dramatically change my setup. If I was going to do that, I would just have another vehicle for one or the other.

Yes you can drive around in DR's, but how useful can it be. To me, I occasionally have to drive hundreds of miles a day, so in a month I would need new tires, and DRs arent exactly cheap. So IMHO, if car is only slightly better on the track if i swap out tires quick or just lower pressure, thats perfect, because 99.9999% of my mileage will be on the street, so anything more that would require different / more changes is not worth it in my mind. Awesome performance, but not for me.

I am not surprised you find that line to be "dumb" to you, you both drive high horsepower cars that are track monsters that you happen to drive a lot on the street. Thats fine, I wouldnt want to do that, but different strokes for different folks. I am surprised that you didn't see both sides of the fence tho.

Edit: I don't know if you guys have dailies or if the cobalt is, but if you do have something different then your showing my point. Also, both of your cars are nasty
The Cobalt has almost always been my daily. I daily drove on 235/40/18 Goodyear Eagle GT All-Seasons. Even with 400whp, I never really had trouble with traction. 2nd gear would spin like crazy... but there was still a significant amount of forward acceleration. The right foot play a very key role in that too. Either way, like I said, if your car isn't performing on the street like it does on the track... its user error.

If its your daily... then it probably doesn't have a lot of horsepower, so street tires will be fine. If it has a ton of power and doesn't hook because you're running cheap street tires... and you're daily driving it... you need a brain scan.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:25 PM

I'm interested...
Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 PM

haha yesss. Back on track /\

Thanks bro
Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 AM

I never got a chance to talk with shep at the track. They didn't have the whole shep trans crew just him driving his evo. But his evo did run like a 10.0 lol.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Thats just a guess though. I dont like to over estimate, but that is prolly close. With a proper set up it wont be that hard to run 11's stock turbo.
Ya thats an impressive. think my best time was 13.2 with like a 2.6 60 and 110 or 112 trap LOL. Was my first day down the track on the aging stock conti's. I wouldnt say im fantastic at launching now, but I would say I am considerably better. However I rarely if never do it on the street, CUZ IM WAITING ON A TRANS LIKE THIS TO COME OUT IF I DO

hah.

USMC: I agree with you, my setup spins all through second but I still manage to pull stage 2 and 3 cobalts as I spin so I would say im still moving. Although, if someone wanted to be cheap and run shitty tires with a lot of horsepower, thats on them. The stupidity would come in if they were bitching about it as they were spinning like they don't know why hah.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 PM

I never got a chance to talk with shep at the track. They didn't have the whole shep trans crew just him driving his evo. But his evo did run like a 10.0 lol.
That's disappointing. He told me thursday he was hoping for low 9's. The last time out it went 9.6 but his fuel pump wasn't keeping up top end and he was on lower boost then. His 1/8 was a 6.1 which should be a low 9. And keep in mind this car looks completely stock. OEM wheels interior everything. He'll get it figured out i'm sure.

[QUOTE=Baron7700;5821231]Ya thats an impressive. think my best time was 13.2 with like a 2.6 60 and 110 or 112 trap LOL. Was my first day down the track on the aging stock conti's. I wouldnt say im fantastic at launching now, but I would say I am considerably better. However I rarely if never do it on the street, CUZ IM WAITING ON A TRANS LIKE THIS TO COME OUT IF I DO

Wait just a little longer for me! This is going to be a huge step for us
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

USMC: I agree with you, my setup spins all through second but I still manage to pull stage 2 and 3 cobalts as I spin so I would say im still moving. Although, if someone wanted to be cheap and run shitty tires with a lot of horsepower, thats on them. The stupidity would come in if they were bitching about it as they were spinning like they don't know why hah.
It happens A LOT... "Man, I hate FWD... all you do is spin all day." "Dude, you're on fkn Pep Boys tires."

What I REALLY love... are the people that tell me I'm stupid for having 400+whp in a FWD car, because "all its gonna do is spin all day". They're usually the ones driving stock, 2.2L's. Funny that I didn't have that problem, either.

Wait just a little longer for me! This is going to be a huge step for us
Hopefully he can get something out for sure this Fall/Winter. That's probably about the time I'll be putting my built engine in the car.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 PM

Hopefully he can get something out for sure this Fall/Winter. That's probably about the time I'll be putting my built engine in the car. [/QUOTE]

That would be nice. I still need a bottom end then I can "throw" it all together and be built all around. Ah day dreams...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM

The elitism is starting to get deep in here.

Its starting to look more and more like this transmission is being developed for the few who really need a transmission for bigger power/dragstrip builds and not so much the average bolt on and tuned guy.

Sure people have destroyed there transmissions bolt on and tuned, but isn't it amazing at how many people have bolt on and tuned LNF engines that haven't destroyed there stock transmissions.

Right now ZZP is getting my money (if my transmission ever breaks), so unless Shepard can match there price with an equally built and/or better proven transmission (ZZP has been proving there stuff on the strip for years).

I will not be buying a transmission from Shepard until one of you drag racers show us its going to last. Like I said we know ZZP dyno's there **** and its proven on the track.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
The elitism is starting to get deep in here.

Its starting to look more and more like this transmission is being developed for the few who really need a transmission for bigger power/dragstrip builds and not so much the average bolt on and tuned guy.

Sure people have destroyed there transmissions bolt on and tuned, but isn't it amazing at how many people have bolt on and tuned LNF engines that haven't destroyed there stock transmissions.

Right now ZZP is getting my money (if my transmission ever breaks), so unless Shepard can match there price with an equally built and/or better proven transmission (ZZP has been proving there stuff on the strip for years).

I will not be buying a transmission from Shepard until one of you drag racers show us its going to last. Like I said we know ZZP dyno's there **** and its proven on the track.
Maybe try reading before posting something like this. And you contradicted yourself in this paragraph on nonsense as well stating at first this is for big power guys, but then again you don't trust Sheps work.

I would strongly advise you to look as what he's done for the cars similar to our platforms that without him would have the same issue we're having. No aftermarket for the drivetrain.

You do have your right to your own opinion and vendor choice, but next time research just a tad bit more before you go off saying all this nonsense. And thats funny you say how you won't trust shep until someone shows what it can do when I haven't seen one customer review on the ZZP trans up until this point. Correct me if i'm wrong?

This build IS meant for the daily driver bolt on and tuned. It's going to be a better cost than zzp's trans and the gears will be far superior to what they are offering at this point. There will be no "stages" either. Just one SOLID gear set from the man himself. There will always be the naysayers, but if you know John you would feel the same way about him as you do now about ZZP. Oh and if you didn't know, he specializes in transmissions.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in, just want to see what the numbers are, before I drop any $$ into a new set of gears..

Can John@Shep or terry11 show the Tranny Dyno numbers once it's ready for sale on the market?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by gone_in_10_sec
I'm in, just want to see what the numbers are, before I drop any $$ into a new set of gears..

Can John@Shep or terry11 show the Tranny Dyno numbers once it's ready for sale on the market?
I'll def try and make that a priority
Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Maybe try reading before posting something like this. And you contradicted yourself in this paragraph on nonsense as well stating at first this is for big power guys, but then again you don't trust Sheps work.

I would strongly advise you to look as what he's done for the cars similar to our platforms that without him would have the same issue we're having. No aftermarket for the drivetrain.

You do have your right to your own opinion and vendor choice, but next time research just a tad bit more before you go off saying all this nonsense. And thats funny you say how you won't trust shep until someone shows what it can do when I haven't seen one customer review on the ZZP trans up until this point. Correct me if i'm wrong?

This build IS meant for the daily driver bolt on and tuned. It's going to be a better cost than zzp's trans and the gears will be far superior to what they are offering at this point. There will be no "stages" either. Just one SOLID gear set from the man himself. There will always be the naysayers, but if you know John you would feel the same way about him as you do now about ZZP. Oh and if you didn't know, he specializes in transmissions.

I bought and installed a Shepard Racing Stage 3 with 4 spider differential and Evo III upgrades in my 1990 AWD Eagle Talon TSI. You can see pictures of the car in the background in my photo album that has the Grand National pictures.

Have you ever even owned or drove a car with a Shepard transmission or are you spewing **** you find on the web?

To be honest you probably could have had the exact same custom F35 transmission made cheaper if you would have went with TRE or Jacks Transmission.

As far as ZZP, I believe they hold all the records for the Platform both supercharged and turbocharged.
They use what they market and sell in there own shop cars.

Does Shepard own a vehicle that uses the F35 transmission and race it?

Big difference when the guy building them is racing the cars they are made to go in.

With all that said I'm gald someone else is trying to make a upgraded trans for the platform, I just want results before I jump on board with someone who does not race anything with a F35 transmission it.

Last edited by HHRSSouth; 06-03-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: FINALLY an option for us f35 guys. READ!