Will a Cosmo Racing Cavalier short shifter fit (2.2 & 2.4)? - Page 8 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Specific Technical Discussion > Drivetrain
Will a Cosmo Racing Cavalier short shifter fit (2.2 & 2.4)? >

Will a Cosmo Racing Cavalier short shifter fit (2.2 & 2.4)?

Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Will a Cosmo Racing Cavalier short shifter fit (2.2 & 2.4)?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:17 PM
  #176  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the point is to relocate the pivot ball, so basically, make the ball go up a bit to lenghen it under it, aww i dont feel like re-typing, just read my post in the first page, i semi explained it there...haha...
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 AM
  #177  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 03-19-07
Location: newburgh,ny
Posts: 14,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balmung892003 View Post
the point is to relocate the pivot ball, so basically, make the ball go up a bit to lenghen it under it, aww i dont feel like re-typing, just read my post in the first page, i semi explained it there...haha...
didn't i explain it in short?... if not i'll go in detail lol it's my thing when i've been drinking...long drawn out explainations that make way too much sense LOL
elecblue06 is offline  
Old 10-05-2007, 02:26 AM
  #178  
New Member
 
BobWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-02-06
Location: Central Redneckistan
Posts: 191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
no you have to lengthen the shaft below the pivot point (ball) other wise it's not a TRUE short throw

shortening the throw has nothing to do with the part you grab, and everything to do with what you don't see..
At what point did what I wrote fail to make sense to you? I never ******* said it WOULD make a "true" short throw shifter. What I did say was "If you shorten the radius, you shorten the circumference. So cutting a stock shifter down WILL make it a short throw of sorts."
See? I said "of sorts" not "saw that ************ off and it'll be solid ******* gold".

Jesus Tap Dancing Christ, I think I'll have to stop using words with more than two syllables.



Bob
BobWreck is offline  
Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 AM
  #179  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 03-19-07
Location: newburgh,ny
Posts: 14,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobWreck View Post
At what point did what I wrote fail to make sense to you? I never ******* said it WOULD make a "true" short throw shifter. What I did say was "If you shorten the radius, you shorten the circumference. So cutting a stock shifter down WILL make it a short throw of sorts."
See? I said "of sorts" not "saw that ************ off and it'll be solid ******* gold".

Jesus Tap Dancing Christ, I think I'll have to stop using words with more than two syllables.



Bob
wow wtf is your problem? can't take correction.. i just said the correct way to do it... if you want to cut your shifter and make it more difficult to shift then be my guest but don't be an ******* to me in a thread about an actual short throw shifter when you're doing something that does absolutely nothing.

and there's no "of sorts" for STS"s it's either a real short throw shifter which shortens the throw or its a shortened shaft with absolutely no positive effects.. aside from maybe looking a bit cooler... but most real short throw shifters are also shorter in height as well

and no you don't have to stop using words with two syllables you need to learn to comprehend english considering I was just saying what a the difference between a TRUE SHORT THROW SHIFTER and just a rice cut shifter...
elecblue06 is offline  
Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 AM
  #180  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^woah...anyway, well i finished the install on my shifter, and here it is

i like the RLO, well its not functional, but i like it cuz it gives a nice, how to you say, transition in a way, but i might remove it to be able to slide the boot a bit higher, or what do ya'll think, god the way it is, or knock RVO and move the boot under the shift knob?

or just slide it over to the curvish thing you see between the boot and the knob...and only have the part that tucks when u pull on the RVO showing..

Last edited by Jn2; 10-05-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 PM
  #181  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-16-07
Location: Marion,Ohio
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balmung892003 View Post
^^^woah...anyway, well i finished the install on my shifter, and here it is

i like the RLO, well its not functional, but i like it cuz it gives a nice, how to you say, transition in a way, but i might remove it to be able to slide the boot a bit higher, or what do ya'll think, god the way it is, or knock RVO and move the boot under the shift knob?

or just slide it over to the curvish thing you see between the boot and the knob...and only have the part that tucks when u pull on the RVO showing..
Looks good. IMO leave the RLO if your going to keep that knob, remove it if you change the knob. I also think it will look better if you move the boot up a notch

Last edited by Black07LS; 10-05-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Black07LS is offline  
Old 10-06-2007, 06:12 PM
  #182  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
well i moved up the boot a bit up, and it looks better...
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 PM
  #183  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-06-06
Location: Redding, Nor-Cal.
Posts: 2,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YES! I just ordered mine, same as a few of you guys. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-05...pagenameZWDVW+
Got mine for $42.05 shipped! It should be here tuesday afternoon which is our mod day with one of my buddys so that will be sweet!
Red06LS is offline  
Old 10-18-2007, 10:08 PM
  #184  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-16-07
Location: Marion,Ohio
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That one has a purple RLO (see pic in my gallery,that's the one I have) That can be left off if you doen't like it. I think a Toyota knob will fit the shifter but take it to a hardware store and check the thread size. Toyota uses 12x1.25 threads.
Black07LS is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 02:24 AM
  #185  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
YES! I just ordered mine, same as a few of you guys. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-05...pagenameZWDVW+
Got mine for $42.05 shipped! It should be here tuesday afternoon which is our mod day with one of my buddys so that will be sweet!
congrats, i got my buddy that lives 2 streets down from me to order one too, he dont post on css.net though, but he ordered it tuesday morning, so when it gets here ima install it for him, which i can do in less than an hour(since i took mine apart twice)
oh yeah i fixed the boot


now compare that to the old way i had it on the first post of this page

Last edited by Jn2; 10-19-2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 02:49 AM
  #186  
Original Hayden Fanatic
 
REIGN SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-06
Location: Dayton, O HI O
Posts: 33,167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where did you get that boot?
REIGN SS is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 02:58 AM
  #187  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it's a carbon fiber shift boot, i have a carbon fiber ebrake boot too...it got the shift boot at pep boys, and the ebrake on on ebay...they r nice, and have to be cut when you get them to fit right, but i put mine on, marked where i needed to cut and then made it work...i like it...it really stands out better than the plain boring leather one...CF boots rock...


^^^pic of ebrake boot, matches the shift boot and ebrake handle...

Last edited by Jn2; 10-19-2007 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 AM
  #188  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-06-06
Location: Redding, Nor-Cal.
Posts: 2,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black07LS View Post
That one has a purple RLO (see pic in my gallery,that's the one I have) That can be left off if you doen't like it. I think a Toyota knob will fit the shifter but take it to a hardware store and check the thread size. Toyota uses 12x1.25 threads.
Yea the purple RLO will be taken off. But it does come with a knob right?!?!?!?!?!?
Red06LS is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:11 AM
  #189  
Original Hayden Fanatic
 
REIGN SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-06
Location: Dayton, O HI O
Posts: 33,167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, knob included... G/L attaching the boot without the reverse lockout... I say leave it on & ziptie the boot to the very top, then you wont see it, but it will hold your boot
REIGN SS is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:26 AM
  #190  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-06-06
Location: Redding, Nor-Cal.
Posts: 2,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by REIGN SS View Post
yes, knob included... G/L attaching the boot without the reverse lockout... I say leave it on & ziptie the boot to the very top, then you wont see it, but it will hold your boot

^Good to know....Thanks.

After thinking a bit, maybe i could paint the purple black or someting. I really dont want the random purple in my car.
Red06LS is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 AM
  #191  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you can attach the boot the way i did, just u'll do it under the knob, instead of under the RLO, the results should be like mine, here what i did, i took the boot and reversed it, thani just taped the boot to the shifter, and the put it back, so when you look at it it looks like the boot tucks inside the kob, , refer to pic above, u see what i mean, same for the ebrake boot, u cant see where the boot ends at the top, cuz its tucked in, and taped...here's a pic of it done to the ebrake, same concept for the shift knob...


ps-use strong tape, i used athletic tape, the type u use for, ummm...its called sports tape, idk, but duct tape should work fine

Last edited by Jn2; 10-19-2007 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 AM
  #192  
Original Hayden Fanatic
 
REIGN SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-06
Location: Dayton, O HI O
Posts: 33,167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting idea...
REIGN SS is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:42 AM
  #193  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the way i did it gives good results that look nice, you cant see where the boot finishes at the top, cuz it goes inside, and it wont come back up cuz its taped in place, so it gives it that nice look u see on my shifter, i did the same for the ebrake, but the boot on that is tighter so you cant see it as well, but you can see that there no tip of the boot, it just goes inward
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:43 AM
  #194  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-06-06
Location: Redding, Nor-Cal.
Posts: 2,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balmung892003 View Post
you can attach the boot the way i did, just u'll do it under the knob, instead of under the RLO, the results should be like mine, here what i did, i took the boot and reversed it, thani just taped the boot to the shifter, and the put it back, so when you look at it it looks like the boot tucks inside the kob, , refer to pic above, u see what i mean, same for the ebrake boot, u cant see where the boot ends at the top, cuz its tucked in, and taped...here's a pic of it done to the ebrake, same concept for the shift knob...

ps-use strong tape, i used athletic tape, the type u use for, ummm...its called sports tape, idk, but duct tape should work fine

Oh ok thanks!
Red06LS is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:44 AM
  #195  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no prob
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 06:27 AM
  #196  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-16-07
Location: Marion,Ohio
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also leave the plastic piece that attaches to the OEM knob to hold the boot up, get a piece of hose that fits snug onthe shifter and use the hose to hold the boot up agaist the knob.
Black07LS is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
  #197  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
use friction to hold it up...lol, i did that at first too...
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 PM
  #198  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-16-07
Location: Marion,Ohio
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you attach the cf boot to the plastic base ring thingy?
Black07LS is offline  
Old 10-20-2007, 06:20 AM
  #199  
Jn2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Jn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-07
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,791
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i cut the bottom of the boot off, the part thats all sretchy, than i took the plastic square ring thing(the thing the stock shift boot is on)and stuck it inside the cf boot, after that i just slid it back on, friction is holding the boot in place, and it work fine, hasnt slipped off or nothin...not that hard to do, or you can take the stock one off and do a cut out on the new shift boot...
Jn2 is offline  
Old 10-21-2007, 01:44 AM
  #200  
New Member
 
Join Date: 01-10-07
Location: Middletown, NY
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know this is the 2.2L section, buuuuuuuutt do you think that short shift will fit in the 2.0L? because the B&M one isnt that short, and i will do anything to shorten it more.
jeffrieckonfiyaaa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will a Cosmo Racing Cavalier short shifter fit (2.2 & 2.4)?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.