How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: How to: HID installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take off top of fuse box
look at top of fuse box
locate drl fuse location
go to drl fuse location in fuse box
pull out fuse puller
pull out drl fuse from drl fuse location
toss fuse on ground
stomp on fuse
muwahhahha DRL is gone.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 AM

so then its the fuse box in the engine bay? sorry i dont have the book. i bought the car used.. i know my last two cars had two fuseboxes.. one inside and one in engine bay...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:07 AM

guys, buy the relay harness, trust me.

i made the mistake of running my HIDS on stock wiring for a while and they went to ****.

im positive u wont have any probs with a proper harness, there not even that expensive.

trust. me.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by originaladrian
guys, buy the relay harness, trust me.

i made the mistake of running my HIDS on stock wiring for a while and they went to ****.

im positive u wont have any probs with a proper harness, there not even that expensive.

trust. me.
Do you have a link on where I can purchase said harness???
Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt blue
Do you have a link on where I can purchase said harness???
yes sir.
http://shop.3bspecialties.com/produc...0&productId=22
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Thank you sir!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:28 PM

my god... 3bspecs plug and play harness is a proper harness ask 3bspec to come in here and they will tell you they have had zero problems out of the plug and play harness you just have to pull the drl fuse ont he 07+ models because GM changed the DRL's and made them different... do i need to explain the change so you guys will understand?

to answer the other question first YES the fuse box under the hood.

okay now to explain the drl system on the new 07+ the old DRLs for the 06- were the parking lights in 07 they changed it to the headlights but it only pushes half the voltage so the light is not fully turned on. when you hook up the HID's with the plug and play harness during the day time when the drl's are used it is not sending full voltage to the HID system this causes flickering of the right light and or it may completely go out. when you pull the drl fuse this disable DRL lights all together, yes your auto lights will stick work, in low light or night time situations the lights will automatically turn on and go off depending on time of day or light situation... your not losing anything important by pulling the drl fuse, and i'm almost certian even if you put the relay on it wouldn't fix the situation because it has everything to do with the drls sending the wrong voltage to the system during daylight use.

one way you can test what i said above cobalt blue is if you notice at night your lights should work perfectly fine, during the day that right one wont work, or flicker. pull the drl fuse and u'll notice your lights will work fine, i tested this consistantly for almost two weeks you can look through the 130 shipped hid's were 3bspec sells their kits from not sure on exact page but go back about 10 pages and u'll see were me and a few other people are discussing this very issue...

save yourself time and money PULL THE FLIPPIN FUSE.

don't mean to be so blunt but everyone is making this alot harder than it truly is.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by knoxbox
my god... 3bspecs plug and play harness is a proper harness ask 3bspec to come in here and they will tell you they have had zero problems out of the plug and play harness you just have to pull the drl fuse ont he 07+ models because GM changed the DRL's and made them different... do i need to explain the change so you guys will understand?

to answer the other question first YES the fuse box under the hood.

okay now to explain the drl system on the new 07+ the old DRLs for the 06- were the parking lights in 07 they changed it to the headlights but it only pushes half the voltage so the light is not fully turned on. when you hook up the HID's with the plug and play harness during the day time when the drl's are used it is not sending full voltage to the HID system this causes flickering of the right light and or it may completely go out. when you pull the drl fuse this disable DRL lights all together, yes your auto lights will stick work, in low light or night time situations the lights will automatically turn on and go off depending on time of day or light situation... your not losing anything important by pulling the drl fuse, and i'm almost certian even if you put the relay on it wouldn't fix the situation because it has everything to do with the drls sending the wrong voltage to the system during daylight use.

one way you can test what i said above cobalt blue is if you notice at night your lights should work perfectly fine, during the day that right one wont work, or flicker. pull the drl fuse and u'll notice your lights will work fine, i tested this consistantly for almost two weeks you can look through the 130 shipped hid's were 3bspec sells their kits from not sure on exact page but go back about 10 pages and u'll see were me and a few other people are discussing this very issue...

save yourself time and money PULL THE FLIPPIN FUSE.

don't mean to be so blunt but everyone is making this alot harder than it truly is.
Well I did what you said pulled the fuse, when I go and turn on the lights the right one still flickers, and sometimes does not come on at all, until I cycle the headlamp switch then the lights come on with no porblems, so the fuse pulling did not do anything. Ill check again tonite when its dark but so far I still have the same issue.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:37 PM

who did you buy your kit through, and its possible you have a bad bulb or bad ballast... cause i know for a fact pulling the drl fuse w/o a relay is the solution cause even with a relay your going to have same issue, everyone i know with a 07+ and hids had your same issue until they pulled the drl fuse and everything works fine now... sounds to me like you have a bigger problem.

what you need to do now to figure out the problem is swap the ballast and see if the flickering moves to the left side if it does its a ballast issue if it doesn't then its a bulb issue. if you bough from 3bspec contact them they will tell you were to ship the ballast / bulb that needs to be replaced under warranty...
Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

I just bought this kit last week, from a place near where I live. I dont think its a bulb issue cuz when I cycle the key they both light up fine, It flickers like its trying to fire but doesnt, I switched ballasts and it still only does it on the right side, even after I pulled the fuse.When I installed them I had this issue from the beginnning and thought it may have been a ground issue so I soldered a seperate wire straight to body ground and no difference.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:39 AM

Im looking at getting xeon company hid kit 6000k h1 from a member on here and i was wondering how good they are?? how easy to install they arent direct plug n play he said?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 AM

h1 is for one of the projector generations not sure which one... should be fine how much are they offering it to you for? cause 3bspec has them for 130 shipped, and most of us know the quality is amazing...

with that xenon kit you need to ask him if it has a plug and play harness or relay style setup... if its plug and play you are good to go assuming you have projector headlights if not then that kit wont work for you... if its a relay harness you have to wire it to your battery.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:47 PM

HERES A PIC OF THEM MAYBE U CAN HELP ME OUT, and tell me if they look plug n play.......

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=45166250
Old 12-21-2008, 08:13 PM

broken link
Old 12-22-2008, 02:35 AM

try this link....the first post is the pic of the HIDS

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/parts-66/fs-147113/
Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 AM

^^ ditto

thats a relay kit.

Last edited by knoxbox; 12-22-2008 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-22-2008, 01:52 PM

whats a relay kit?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:46 PM

relay kit means its not plug and play you have to wire it to your battery.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nighthawk243
Yeah, with the projector lights, the halogen bulb is poor... Upgrading to silverstars doesn't help it much either. Usually the solution a number of people do is wire a relay to let the HID continue operating while the high beams are on, that way you don't suddenly lose a ton of light.

how do you wire in this relay? (i dont know much about relays)
Old 12-27-2008, 01:20 PM

need help i installed my 12000K HID's had them in for about 4 days now and lost the color. They used to be Blue but now white. Does anyone know how to fix?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:21 PM

what year vehicle do you have? and are u running a plug and play harness or relay. bulbs over time will loose their intensity but not after 4 days... were did you get the kit from? i'd send it back to them and have them send you another kit.

if your a 07+ pull the drl fuse out and see if they brighten up more, one way to see if its a drl fuse issue is they will be white during the day or maybe flicker during the day, and work fine at night. drl fuse during the day will only send half the power to the headlight housing this might be why they seem duller than they are supposed to be.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:05 AM

i hate my DRL but when I pulled the fuse it killed all my interior lighting like in the cluster and ac/heating, not good at night when you cant read the speedo haha
Old 12-28-2008, 04:34 AM

the drl fuse is not attached to this, you may have shorted out the other fuses and caused them to blow. once again i repeat the drl fuse is not in anyway shape or forum attached to those lights you speak of.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:10 PM

I have a 2007 SS s/c and i have the relay no plug and play. i will pull that fuse today will it cause any problems when i do it???? and i dont care about the day how they look just at night they where fine when i got them but i will pull the fuse to see if the color changes. i called them and they are going to send me new lights the 15000K but i have to wait three weeks. i got them form http://www.woodview.com. thanks for the help .
Old 12-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by knoxbox
the drl fuse is not attached to this, you may have shorted out the other fuses and caused them to blow. once again i repeat the drl fuse is not in anyway shape or forum attached to those lights you speak of.

Im telling you I put my DLR fuse back in and bamm magic it all came back on

Quick Reply: Appearance: How to: HID installation