How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: Install rear SS lip on LS bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, I'm going to check to see if the lip can be placed a little higher to compensate for the gap. I have the lip and a bumper cover so I can test fit off the car. Hope to start doing this fit up, this weekend.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks sick!!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Gonna do this tonight!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM

I started to mock up the lip/bumper, did some measurements and found that the combination does have about a 1/4 to 3/8" difference nearing the leading edges of the lip. I carefully did some measurements, and I will not be using the lower body line because, it doesn't line up correctly with the 2.4l rear bumper. Basically, at the front leading edges, the lip starts 3/4" higher than the bumper line, then as it nears the license plate, it is around 1/2" higher than the body line. I know that using the body line makes things easier, but, when using the 2.4l rear bumper, there are holes at the bottom of the leading edges of the lip, and corresponding ones on the bumper, When you match these locations, you will see why I ended up measuring up an additional 3/4" above the bumper line.

I didn't take any pics yet, as I haven't started to do any cutting yet. I'm taking a break (after 2 hours of measuring, marking, remeasuring, remarking). I will start using the Dremel to make the slots later or maybe over the weekend.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:27 PM

Well i cut the slots just above the body line (bottom of slots on the body line) , and i have a 1/4 inch over hang on one side and 1/2 inch on the other. And i dont know how you can do 1/2 inch above the body line around the licence plate, because i did it with the bottom of the holes at the body line, and the part that the grill goes in is touching the bottom of the bumper.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by jschatte
Well i cut the slots just above the body line (bottom of slots on the body line) , and i have a 1/4 inch over hang on one side and 1/2 inch on the other. And i dont know how you can do 1/2 inch above the body line around the licence plate, because i did it with the bottom of the holes at the body line, and the part that the grill goes in is touching the bottom of the bumper.
I'm planning on cutting out the section of the bumper that will interfere with the grilles. The 2.4l bumper is deeper than the LS bumper, so material has to be removed.

After looking at additional pictures, I have to be careful that I don't make the lip sit too high on the bumper. It would leave too big a gap over the exhaust tip. May have to redo my layout.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

You shouldn't go above the line on the 2.4 bumper cuz at the bottom corner ends of the lip touch the 2.4 bumper when installed. I cut mine right at the line and it came out perfect. 2.4coupe slots are at the line. If you go 1/2 or 1 inch it's not gonna fit at the bottom ends unless you gonna cut the bottom corners of the bumper too.

X2 on the gap by the exhaust. Just cut at the line dude

When the lip is installed, it's not gonna make the ends by the wheel look lower. I hope you know that. It'll only look lower when you go back and around. Also when you look at it from behind. Those areas are the only places that make the lip installed on bumper look lower. I hope I make sense.

Last edited by hailcesar75; 04-10-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by hailcesar75
You shouldn't go above the line on the 2.4 bumper cuz at the bottom corner ends of the lip touch the 2.4 bumper when installed. I cut mine right at the line and it came out perfect. 2.4coupe slots are at the line. If you go 1/2 or 1 inch it's not gonna fit at the bottom ends unless you gonna cut the bottom corners of the bumper too.

X2 on the gap by the exhaust. Just cut at the line dude

When the lip is installed, it's not gonna make the ends by the wheel look lower. I hope you know that. It'll only look lower when you go back and around. Also when you look at it from behind. Those areas are the only places that make the lip installed on bumper look lower. I hope I make sense.
Something must have changed with these bumpers because despite all my efforts, there is still an overhang of 1/4 to 3/8" inch on both sides. I am basically on the bumper line (given the accuracy of my dremel cuts), but that the vertical line just before the leading edge of the lip, isn't even close to lining up with the bumper cover line.

I'm going to take another look at it today, maybe cut new slots, get the old slots plastic filled before I send it off for paint. FYI, I bought a second bumper cover to install the lip, just for this reason, in case things went a muck.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

where exactly is the overhang? Do you mean it extends past the bumper by the wheels?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Same as this posted pic, not quite as bad, but none the less, the lip ends up being too long.

It just doesn't fit, any way I try it.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

Oh , yup it won't fit. I just cut the ends. Sanded them down
Old 04-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by hailcesar75
Oh , yup it won't fit. I just cut the ends. Sanded them down
Yeh, this sucks, but I'll let the body shop finish it off for me. I know that I will be happy with the results, because your car looks hot.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 PM

yeah im just gonna get the body shop to do some sergery on the lip lol. They sould be able to get it to fit right... im gonna go tomorrow morning
Old 04-16-2009, 06:41 AM

My bumper is off to the body shop. We discussed about how the lip would be modified. The guy who is doing it does custom car body work, etc, and came up with some good, yet inexpensive ideas, for how to fit up the lip properly without doing an extensive amount of work. I should have it back early next week.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Yeah im getting the same thing done to mine. Hes actually gonna cut a section out of each side of the lip, then plastic weld it back together.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:51 PM

Yeah im getting the same thing done to mine. Hes actually gonna cut a section out of each side of the lip, then plastic weld it back together.
Sounds like our guys are on the same thought process. On top of that, the lip for my case, will also be reinforced with lots of glue to keep it tight to the bumper so that those ugly gaps don't appear, especially around the corners. (typical of the left hand corner where the lip touches the rear bumper on the SS coupes)
Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 PM

That sounds like a pretty good idea... I dont think im gonna go that far tho. Looking back right now, i should have just bought the bumper, it would save alot of time, but i guess you really dont have a choice.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:46 AM

That sounds like a pretty good idea... I dont think im gonna go that far tho. Looking back right now, i should have just bought the bumper, it would save alot of time, but i guess you really dont have a choice.
I was originally hoping that I could do the full SS coupe rear (tails, bumper and trunk) but it became very obvious that the trunks and the shape of the structure of the rears are different between coupe and sedan. I would also would have had to modify the wiring harness to move the reverse lights to the trunk lid as on the coupes. Oh well, as you said, I had no choice. It will look good though, at least I had a sedan example to see first before doing it. (hailcaesar75)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM

It will definately look good, i dont know why gm didn't put it on there in the first place.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:11 PM

Got a message today stating that my modified rear bumper is ready for a test fit before getting painted. Shop wants to make sure that the exhaust cut out lines up with the exhaust tip. Now, with this wonderful weather we are having, the test fit will have to wait till later in the week. I have to take off the OE bumper cover too, before the test fit (of course). By next week, bumper should be painted and installed.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:35 PM

Make sure to post up some pics! And your lucky you get to keep your car, they guy at the bodyshop im going to says he wants the whole car, so he can fit it on the bumper while it is on the car. Well whatever, he knows best. Yours will probably be done before mine, he figures it will be all done and painted by next friday. (taking it in next tuesday)
Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Make sure to post up some pics! And your lucky you get to keep your car, they guy at the bodyshop im going to says he wants the whole car, so he can fit it on the bumper while it is on the car. Well whatever, he knows best. Yours will probably be done before mine, he figures it will be all done and painted by next friday. (taking it in next tuesday)
Absolutely, I'm taking pics. I want to see it "raw" before paint, and painted, and of course, on the car.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM

haha raw. Im also gonna be making a thread warning ppl that this doesn't work on lt /ls bumpers as well as ss sedan bumpers to save future confusion.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 AM

I'm still kinda torn what to do.. doing an SS style kit or GM's lip kit for the 2.2s.. but I'd love to try this. Just have to do exactly what OP says. Very nice though
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt2921
I'm still kinda torn what to do.. doing an SS style kit or GM's lip kit for the 2.2s.. but I'd love to try this. Just have to do exactly what OP says. Very nice though
have you not read the last couple of pages? This will not work. IF you dont believe me there are 3 other ppl, just in this thread that were unsuccessful. And if you still dont believe me, try it, and then you will realize it does not fit.

Quick Reply: Appearance: Install rear SS lip on LS bumper