How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: Install rear SS lip on LS bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so will this work for a 2.2 sedan with the trimming of the excess overhang?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jpitts210
so will this work for a 2.2 sedan with the trimming of the excess overhang?
I'll go out on a limb and say yes, it will fit your 2.2, but with some trimming. I should my 2.4l bumper fitted up on the weekend. I'll take pics of it prior to paint so that all can see where mine is trimmed.

I asked for small sections to be removed and reattached, from the sides of the lip, so that the wheel well body lines (1 on each side near each leading edge) line up with the lines on the bumper.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Banned

get this lip on already. i wanna see it!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris@CTA
I'll go out on a limb and say yes, it will fit your 2.2, but with some trimming. I should my 2.4l bumper fitted up on the weekend. I'll take pics of it prior to paint so that all can see where mine is trimmed.

I asked for small sections to be removed and reattached, from the sides of the lip, so that the wheel well body lines (1 on each side near each leading edge) line up with the lines on the bumper.
I guess no one has put a rear lip on a 2.2 sedan yet?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:47 PM

No i dont think so, and if you trim the excess it will look like complete crap, as the ends will not contour to the body at all.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Excuse me but my sedan with the rear lip looks good. Maybe you just don't want anyone to try it. How about doing what chris@cta is doing. Cutting and reattaching the piece that contours.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by hailcesar75
get this lip on already. i wanna see it!!!!
HEHEHE, should be doing the fit up tomorrow.

Excuse me but my sedan with the rear lip looks good. Maybe you just don't want anyone to try it. How about doing what chris@cta is doing. Cutting and reattaching the piece that contours.
yeh, do like me, it's not costing a heck of a lot of money to do the mod, but I'm anxious as heck to see it on ,y car (tomorrow but without paint).

Last edited by Chris@CTA; 04-24-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

Paint schmaint, just post pics. LOL
Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 PM

Just got a call, guy is going to have to delay bringing the bumper over until Sunday afternoon. Arrgghh, another day's delay to do the fit up.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Well it must have not hung over as much as mine... it has an over hang of about 1/2" on each side, making it not follow the bumper at all around the wheel well. And I am getting my lip modified, if you read the thread you would easily know this. sorry but reading > you.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

I know your doing this. I did read the thread. So why are you saying that it won't work with the ss bumpers? Every sedan owner that posts and wants to do this , you keep sayingnit won't work. Why us that?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:03 PM

Well the two ppl i responded to were doing it on 2.2s, so im not sure what you mean by me not saying it won't work on an ss bumper. And its kinda obvious it won't fit on an ss bumper completely properly anyway, becasue you had to trim yours, and chis@CTA is getting body work done to the lip. However, i am only saying this by speculation, but if you could get away with simply trimming yours it must fit on the ss sedan bumper alot nicer than it does on the 2.2 bumper, cause mine is wayy off. (just as much as the pics posted a couple pages prior with the orange cobalt)
Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM

Here's a couple of preview pics of the SS Coupe rear lip fit up. It's gonna look real good when it's done.

The sides have been had short sections cut out, then will be plastic welded back together.

In the following pic, it the lip doesn't look parallel with the car, it's because the driveway slopes and the right side of the car is slightly higher relative to the driveway as compared to the left side.

Originally Posted by biniecki
I tried this over the weekend and it did not work. The lip is too big. The SS bumper must stick out a little further in the rear than the LS because there is overhang on both sides by the wheel wells about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on each side. Not sure if there might be a diff in SS/NA and SS/SC but the lip I got did not line up like specified by the original poster

Mine was just as far off as yours, so it doesn't matter 2.4l or 2.2l bumper. If you look at the SS coupe rear bumper from the side of the car, it's less rounded and more vertical than the 2.2l or 2.4l rear bumpers. Over all, the radius/total length of that body line on the SS coupes is greater than the 2.2l and 2.4l rear bumpers. That's been my observation.

The SS/NA coupe rear bumpers are identical in shape to the SS/SC or SS/TC rear bumpers, so that's why those whom have done this mod on those vehicles, have no problem with fitment. It also seems that the LS bumper is similar to the SS bumper in shape as can be seen in the original post in this thread, hence why fitment is not an issue either.

Last edited by Chris@CTA; 04-26-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Yeah I saw the uneven-ness. Looks good even tho

Great job!!!! One thing I noticed was that ur lip is fitted higher then mine. It looks like they installed it closer to the license plate housing. Mine is about an inch below the housing. It's looks like a 1/4 or even closer

Originally Posted by jschatte
haha raw. Im also gonna be making a thread warning ppl that this doesn't work on lt /ls bumpers as well as ss sedan bumpers to save future confusion.
Looks like the rear lip was installed without any problems jschatte

What are those white pieces that are in the lower two grille areas. ??

Last edited by hailcesar75; 04-26-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-26-2009, 06:30 PM

Great job!!!! One thing I noticed was that ur lip is fitted higher then mine. It looks like they installed it closer to the license plate housing. Mine is about an inch below the housing. It's looks like a 1/4 or even closer

Thanks.

Yeh, the lip ended up a little closer because I chose to use the bottom sides of the 2.4l bumper as a guide to line up the sides of the lip. I did that so that the bottom of the lip would have something to fasten to. Now, since the body line was slightly raised, the distance from the bottom of the licence plate to the lip also was raised about 3/8". All and all it still gives that downward slope from the centre rear of the lip, to the leading edges of the lip (at the wheel openings).

ADDED NOTE: If you look at pics of my stock SS bumper, the body line below the licence plate is already closer than what it appears to be on your car.

The white areas behind the grille area is the structure of the car, usually covered with a black plastic trim piece. It would seem GM in their cheapness, deleted that plastic trim piece. Doesn't matter, I'm going to paint that area black so it doesn't show through.

Last edited by Chris@CTA; 04-26-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Why are you always on my case? And there was problems - the lip didn't initially fit.

to Chris@CTA - Looks great! I will post up pictures of me on friday, as i drop my car off at the shop on tuesday.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned

Anyways. To all sedan owners. Me and chris@cta are proof that you can install a lip on your sedan.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 PM

Anyways. To all sedan owners. Me and chris@cta are proof that you can install a lip on your sedan.
Are we going to be the only two sedans with the SS rear lip?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 PM

Well it has nothing to do with sedans... I dont know why im coming off as a sedan racist to you lol. And im not saying the lip will never fit, You and chris got it to go, both in different ways. Im just saying a stock lip will not fit on a bumper. It needs to be modified.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris@CTA
Are we going to be the only two sedans with the SS rear lip?
yup, I think we will be the only two. I think For a while too. Too bad you're all the way in Canada or else we could have had a badass photoshoot.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM

yup, I think we will be the only two. I think For a while too. Too bad you're all the way in Canada or else we could have had a badass photoshoot.
Yeh, it is too bad we're not closer. Heck, maybe you have started a trend, assuming that I am number 2 (sedan), maybe more will take the plunge and do it too.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 PM

so thats an ls??? WOW! Very nice
Old 04-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MBMCustoms
so thats an ls??? WOW! Very nice
If your question is for me, I have a 4 door SS turbo.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM

so do you need the SS rear sedan bumper or can it just be put on the regular bumper with some extra work(trimming/modifying)?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jpitts210
so do you need the SS rear sedan bumper or can it just be put on the regular bumper with some extra work(trimming/modifying)?
From what it appears, from just about any non SS rear bumper, the lip will work with some modification. In my case, since I have the 2.4l rear sedan bumper, the bottom of the lip is lined up with the bumper so that the two can be attached together for more support.

Quick Reply: Appearance: Install rear SS lip on LS bumper