New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Change water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change water pump?

Hello. Just purchased 08 cobalt lnf with exactly 100k miles. Previous owner was the only one owner and did great maintenance on it did everything required and then some. Was wondering if I should change water pump if it hasn’t been changed? But current one seems fine. Love to hear some advice on this please....................oh yeah I’m new proud owner of her and I’m excited!!!
Thanks for having me!

Last edited by Roguefit203; 02-10-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
I wouldn't change the water pump unless you need to get in there to replace timing chain or something as long as there is no indication it isn't working properly. I changed the water pump recently with the front cradle dropped and it wasn't too bad but you have to take the T-stat housing loose to get the water pump out as well. Not sure how much different the cross-pipe is on the LNF but your turbo and exhaust may get in the way also. If you ever do change the water pump I would recommend also going back in with the Cloyes balance shaft/water pump chain kit. It comes with new chain, guides, tensioner, and sprockets.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't mess with the water pump until you need to. You however don't have to replace everything just to do the water pump. There's an access hole in the timing cover you remove and there's a special tool you bolt down to the timing cover and it bolts to the sprocket so then you can unbolt the water pump itself from the sprocket and pull it out the back. Yes you do have to undo the 2 or 3 ten mm bolts from the thermostat pipe but it's not terrible. You can actually undo the thermostat hose and just let the pipe itself dangle to slip the water pump out. I have to replace mine cause it drips out the back of the housing when it's below 20 degrees on cold start up. But I don't drive it much anymore so it's just sitting in my closet lol
Old 02-12-2019, 08:12 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by C0balts5
I agree, I wouldn't mess with the water pump until you need to. You however don't have to replace everything just to do the water pump. There's an access hole in the timing cover you remove and there's a special tool you bolt down to the timing cover and it bolts to the sprocket so then you can unbolt the water pump itself from the sprocket and pull it out the back. Yes you do have to undo the 2 or 3 ten mm bolts from the thermostat pipe but it's not terrible. You can actually undo the thermostat hose and just let the pipe itself dangle to slip the water pump out. I have to replace mine cause it drips out the back of the housing when it's below 20 degrees on cold start up. But I don't drive it much anymore so it's just sitting in my closet lol
The special tool keeps the old sprocket in position so that the balance shafts don't accidentally get out of time from loose chain?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:57 PM

Yes. The tool bolts to the timing cover, and then it bolts to the water pump sprocket so that everything stays perfectly in time. No need to mess with the timing. Then you remove the thermostat pipe from the back side, let it dangle or completely remove it. Then on the water pump there is two bolts on that go through the front, and then 2 on the back. Not terrible to do
Old 04-07-2019, 06:52 PM

Follow up ?

Thanks a bunch guys. Advice we’ll taken and decide it didn’t need it. Still running strong. So I was wondering I keep hearing about the timing chain kit being change at 100k miles and the gm dealer says $1500 with parts & labor but I can get crate motor no miles for same price. What y’all think? Thanks
Old 04-07-2019, 07:06 PM

Don't mess with it if it's not broken. Timing chains are suppose to last the life if the engine. You hear some cases of chains stretching or one of the guide bolts sheeting off, you only hear of the few that broke due to manufacturing faults or lack of maintenance, I have 116k on mine (knock on wood) and I don't hear any noise. Allot if it has to do with how well you maintain your car. Personally I change my oil on all my cars at 3000 miles regardless of what the manufacturer says it can go. Going with a new engine may seem better but your gonna be paying 1500 for the engine and labor on top of that plus all the turbo gaskets and hardware and anything else that breaks.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Thanks for that piece of info, appreciate it. Yeah I think I’ll just leave it alone. Car runs good well maintained and all. It would of just been a piece of mind type of thing. Just trying to make car last.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:33 PM

I gotcha, I bought mine at 55k, since day one I've changed the oil religiously every 3000, my maintenance reminder still stays over 55% oil life when I go to reset it. And my car has been pushing 23psi since the previous owner put the tune on at less than 30k. As long as your changing the oil and letting the car warm up a lil when it's extremely cold out before you take off and letting it idle for a lil bit after ripping on it you will be fine. I personally think the oil life monitor is a joke. Even going 5000 miles between oil changes seems like a lot. I've learned in the dealership life that the manufacturer does not care what happens after the car is out of warranty
Old 04-07-2019, 08:39 PM

I agree about dealerships. Same here with the oil changes and all. I’m running on 21 psi and seems strong since getting it years ago. Just wish last owner didn’t put catless downlipe uggh . To loud for my comfort. Lol! But I guess performance it helps . Idk kinda wanna go with a hi flow cat tho.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
Mine has more and is running on original everything and still going strong welcome