Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Crap Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crap Headunit

I have the normal headunit w/out MP3, and it sucks completely.

It takes 20-30 seconds for a CD to load when I start up the car, and when it does, it skips very easily.

I have used both store bought CDs and CD-Rs that have been burned with several diff programs (Nero, WMP, JetAudio, etc)

Also, my goddamn CDs get stuck in the CD player all the time, and there's no way to get them out!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine does all that too
Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 PM

pretty easy solution to this....you know what it is.....
Old 03-27-2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
pretty easy solution to this....you know what it is.....
Aftermarket is too expensive, and they look like crap IMO, unless its double din.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:53 PM

well then you stick with crap lol

you know how the game goes, gotta pay to play
Old 03-27-2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Aftermarket is too expensive, and they look like crap IMO, unless its double din.
thats why I havent bought an aftermarket yet too.

I have an 07 ss/sc too, soo I dont know how/whats going to happen when it gets put in lol
Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 PM

There was a bulitin i saw in GM service information about a software flash for the radio, having volume issues and cd playback. I cant remeber if it pertains to the base model or not. but worth a shot.

No warranty anymore?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 PM

I'd check on the warranty. Baseline or not, it shouldn't take 30 seconds to load up a CD. Mine's a base and the CD player works fine, so you should have a case for a free replacement if you've still got warranty left.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 PM

I know is not the MP3 its just included in the bulitin, But this was one of the things GM posted, just passing it along.

Subject: Info - Compact Disc (CD) or DVD Player Skipping, Inoperative, Sluggish and/or Long Search Times #05-08-44-001 - (01/24/2005)

Models: All 2005 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

All 2005 and Prior Saturn Models

2003-2005 HUMMER H2

with CD or DVD Players

Attention: ALL CD and DVD players should be evaluated for the type of media being used before service or replacement. This bulletin should be posted and all Service Consultants, Sales Managers and Sales Personnel become familiar with the information contained below. Customers with disc player concerns covered in this bulletin should be given copies of this information in order to help them understand and maximize the use of the entertainment system in the vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Media Types and File Types
A considerable amount of confusion and concerns stem from the types of Media and File types available on a standard (in appearance) Compact Disc for consumer purchase and/or recording. The information below will address some of this confusion in clear simple terms.

Simple Guidelines to Evaluate CD Concerns:
Whenever you have a concern with Compact Disc skipping, inoperative, sluggish, and/or long search times, you first need to evaluate the system with a known good disc. ALL GM CD players will accept and play pre-recorded media bearing the Compact Disc logo on the jewel case or the front of the disc. A diagnostic kit J 39916-CD or J 39916-A is available from Kent-Moore, which includes an evaluation CD to assist you. When testing the system for the above conditions, never use a customer supplied disc other than for the demonstration of the concern.

• Even if a customer supplies you with a disc that is "store bought" and appears to be free of scratches and fingerprints, other factors such as long term exposure to sunlight and/or the heat of the vehicle interior may warp the disc or delaminate the readable surface.

• Some customers may be using home recorded CD Recordable (CD-R) media in their vehicle. In addition, computer programs that print facsimiles of original labels on transparent adhesive film may make it difficult to tell a well done CD-R from the original.

• CD-RW are not readable in any GM CD player and should not be used.

• Some discs may contain additional features and other non-music data that is unreadable to the CD player.

Important: In all cases, you should use a known good disc to check proper operation of the CD player.

Load a known good CD into the player or changer. Operate the player and/or drive the vehicle to try to duplicate the customer concern. If the concern cannot be duplicated with your test CD, refer to the information below to assist you in resolving the customer's concern.

Notice: Advise the customer not to use paste-on labels in GM CD players. The labels may dislodge or curl, damaging or jamming the CD player.

Customer Concerns Related to Home Recorded Discs
Many home computers now come with CD-R/RW drives capable of recording music in standard CD format on a blank disc. A finished CD-R disc is advertised to work in all CD players. Customers may experience difficulty when using these discs due to several factors:

• The quality of the finished disc varies with the media used. Off-brand or discount blank discs may have imperfections such that they are not suitable for automotive applications. A disc that is barely readable may function in a stationary player while skipping in a vehicle due to the vibrations of driving.

• The speed at which the disc is recorded will dramatically affect the readability. The laser in the recording drive gets less time to etch the readable surface of the disc as the recording speed is increased, therefore the data contained on the disc is more faint. A good comparison is if you are trying to read a newspaper that the printing is barely visible on. Any motion or change in lighting would cause you to lose your place. The same applies for the CD player. Instruct customers to locate the speed control on their computer software or stand-alone recorder and lower the speed. This may improve results.

Tip
Many CD-R discs have the maximum recordable speed printed on the case and/or the disc. This guideline is assuming all variables are met, and the latest recording equipment is used. This maximum speed rating does not assure good results. Older CD-R/RW drives may not be able to achieve the highest stated speed of 32x or 24x with good results. You should slow older equipment down more.

• Discs with the readable side that is colored may be more susceptible to skipping.

• CD-RW discs are not readable in any GM CD player and should not be used.

Information on File Types and Sound Quality Not Involving Skipping
A standard music CD in computer terms carries .cda files. It is possible to home record onto a disc with many other files types, all of which are not readable in GM CD or DVD players. Some, but not all, of the non-compatable files types are:

• .wav

• .wma

• .mpeg

• .avi

• .midi

• .mov

• .mp4

GM CD players that also feature DVD Video playback are not compatible with the newly released high resolution sound DVD-A or DVD Audio discs.

A Special Note About .mp3 files.: The ability of this type of file to compress many hours of music onto one disc has increased the popularity of this type of file. Many internet music downloads and stand alone players are available in this format. GM has, and will, introduce some CD players that will decode this format. Some CD players equipped with this feature may have the MP3 logo on the front of the player. You should refer to the Owner's Manual in each case for compatibility, as in some cases only one of several available radios may decode the .mp3 format. Files recorded in .mp3 format may be highly compressed and exhibit a range of good to poor fidelity depending on how the file was recorded. The audio artifacts of high compression may sound like distortion even at low volumes or exacerbate speaker rattles at high volume settings.

Customer Confusion with Pre-Recorded Store Bought Discs
There are now, in addition to the original style CD, various other types of discs which promise compatibility with your standard style CD player. The two most popular of these styles are Super-Audio Compact Disc (SACD) and DVD Audio (DVD-A ).

Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD)
Super Audio is a new format in which some discs from some manufacturers offer compatibility with standard CD players. SACD's may be recorded with 2 layers of data, one for CD players and one for SACD players. This type of disc will be marked as a "Hybrid 2-Channel" or "Hybrid Multi-Channel". These discs may function in your normal CD player, though no testing has been performed as to susceptibility to skipping or sensitivity to dirt and scratching. SACD's that are not marked as "Hybrid" will NOT play in your CD player.

DVD Audio (DVD-A)
DVD audio discs are another high resolution sound medium that is offered to the consumer. This format is NOT compatible with a CD player or a conventional DVD Video player such as those offered by GM. The exception is that recently, some manufacturers of DVD-A discs have begun producing two-sided DVD-A discs. These discs may be labelled DualDisc with an accompanying symbol. Only DVD-A discs with this symbol will play in your GM CD/DVD.

Important: Be sure to insert a DualDisc with the proper side up for conventional CD playback.

Enhanced Features CD's/CD-ROM
CD-ROM's are intended for your computer only. Enhanced feature CD's may contain lyrics, and/or other video information. The specific tracks on the CD with this additional information will not function in your CD player, or behave erratically.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 PM

So whats the GM Solution? Replacement?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:12 PM

I looked for that other bulitin it was about muting and am/fm volume.

The one i posted was more of a "customer issue" otherwise known as if it works at all, it works. So i'd try for a replacement anyways, just prepareing for you what they might rebuttle with. Theyre supposed to use a known good disc and if it has te same issues then they should replace it.