Site Development and Help Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help
View Poll Results: remove war stories section.
Yes
30.92%
No
69.08%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Remove War Stories Section?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i killed some tatertots with some ketchup while reading the 13 pages of this.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonyyB
Why are you confused? I posted I am open to change ideas. Please don’t make this a conflict. If you have good change suggestions take some time to spell them out. I am not going to just clean it up when most members voted for the section to stay as it is.
Feel free to PM me
Night
how am i making this a conflict? i simply asked questions because it seemed like you were comparing this site to youtube and streetfire. i just wanted to know if that was correct.

there are plenty of good reasons why it shouldn't be allowed here. you, on the other hand, choose to only look at the poll #'s.

i asked you why was there a drag racing and autocross section then if you wanted "war stories" to be stories of people at the track.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

mod Fight!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 PM

no politics, no streetracing
Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dead Zen
no politics, no streetracing
i agree with you...
Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

Where is the I don't know option?

While I regret creating that section when I started the site way back in 04, I am not going to jump the gun and kill it. It was never intended for street racing, nor do I support such activities. Anyone street racing is a fool and I hope the cops get them before they hurt anyone.

But about the section, note the description, I am pretty sure it’s directed towards track wins:
“Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.”

Most of the stories in the section in question is pure BS and we keep it open to members only for that reason. I am willing to consider changes to the section if someone can make a good argument keeping both sides in mind. I am also willing to assign a moderator just to that section providing someone has the good argument I just mentioned.

Now another small point. Youtube and Streetfire are full of street racing crap and they don’t remove it to my knowledge.

Keep this thread clean or it will end here

Drag Racing (6 Viewing)
Kindle Racing and Dalcorp Racing

Autocross and Road Racing
Road racing is not “street racing”

War Stories (4 Viewing)
Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Lets use simple math... what did you mean when you mentioned "street" racing in the last thread? What kind of racing is War Stories?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

keep this thread on topic. nobody cares another thread got locked.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
there was a thread some people must care.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DC52NV
stop dodging
Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

I feel that War Stories should be removed/renamed to Track Stories or just absorbed by the Drag Racing section we already have. It's about how the forum is portrayed, instead of looking like a bunch of irresponsible, immature car enthusiasts maybe it’s about time we show a little tact and maturity by sending the message that not everyone in the automotive world finds it necessary to endanger others by racing on public roads to protect your ego and show that rev’ing 17sec Accord who’s the man...

I’m not going to tell you not to street race, that is your decision, but I don’t really think that you need to come onto the interweb and brag about it, or come around here and brag about to show all your e-friends your awesomeness.

Most of all if you do not agree with it then why do you allow it on your forum Jonel? Cobaltss.net is considered one of the most admired car forums there is, we have members here that don't even drive Cobalts but stay because of the community; that means people look up to you, and this forum. This is a chance to set an example, to send a message that maybe not everyone with a quick car goes out and street races.

I'm not saying we need to go through the section, delete all the stories and lose the posts/threads. Perhaps we could:

1.) Turn it into an archive. Allow members to read it, but no longer allow members to post new threads/replies. This keeps everyones post count, and doesn't remove there contribution to the forum.

2.) Move the recent 45-60 days worth of threads that involve racing at the track to the Drag racing section, so they can continue to be discussed.

3.) Offer a 60 day probation where we don't issue "official" warnings/infractions for posting street racing/wreckless threads, instead send PM's and notices first, until everyone gets adjusted to the new rules/changes. (Obviously those that repeatedly ignore the probationary warnings will have to be escilated)

If you want a moderator to watch over the section and handle the transition you know that I'm always around to help you out. You know that I'm going to support your decision no matter which way it goes, but I really think a lot of people respect you and this forum, and this is an opportunity to send a positive message and possibly mature as a forum. Are we going to lose a few member? Maybe, but in the end we would probably gain more respectful and mature members over the immature and non-contributing members we could lose.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
I feel that War Stories should be removed/renamed to Track Stories or just absorbed by the Drag Racing section we already have. It's about how the forum is portrayed, instead of looking like a bunch of irresponsible, immature car enthusiasts maybe it’s about time we show a little tact and maturity by sending the message that not everyone in the automotive world finds it necessary to endanger others by racing on public roads to protect your ego and show that rev’ing 17sec Accord who’s the man...

I’m not going to tell you not to street race, that is your decision, but I don’t really think that you need to come onto the interweb and brag about it, or come around here and brag about to show all your e-friends your awesomeness.

Most of all if you do not agree with it then why do you allow it on your forum Jonel? Cobaltss.net is considered one of the most admired car forums there is, we have members here that don't even drive Cobalts but stay because of the community; that means people look up to you, and this forum. This is a chance to set an example, to send a message that maybe not everyone with a quick car goes out and street races.

I'm not saying we need to go through the section, delete all the stories and lose the posts/threads. Perhaps we could:

1.) Turn it into an archive. Allow members to read it, but no longer allow members to post new threads/replies. This keeps everyones post count, and doesn't remove there contribution to the forum.

2.) Move the recent 45-60 days worth of threads that involve racing at the track to the Drag racing section, so they can continue to be discussed.

3.) Offer a 60 day probation where we don't issue "official" warnings/infractions for posting street racing/wreckless threads, instead send PM's and notices first, until everyone gets adjusted to the new rules/changes. (Obviously those that repeatedly ignore the probationary warnings will have to be escilated)

If you want a moderator to watch over the section and handle the transition you know that I'm always around to help you out. You know that I'm going to support your decision no matter which way it goes, but I really think a lot of people respect you and this forum, and this is an opportunity to send a positive message and possibly mature as a forum. Are we going to lose a few member? Maybe, but in the end we would probably gain more respectful and mature members over the immature and non-contributing members we could lose.
why so worried about the image of a site on the INTERNET? i could find pictures of a monkey having sex with 4 chicks on the internet and you guys are worried about how the gods of the internet look down on us? c'mon give it a break.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

It's called setting an example...
Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
It's called setting an example...
for???? the other 16-19 year olds that have cars?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:14 AM
Banned

seriously. the almighty internet gods!!!

sounds like jonnyb has spoke. /thread
Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WICKED
seriously. the almighty internet gods!!!

sounds like jonnyb has spoke. /thread

jonel said he is open to all ideas, and he is open to change.

Thats exactly what im talking to him about privetly
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 AM

I still want a "DRUNK DRIVING" section, that way we can share our tricks to evading the check points.

Also can we have a "ELUDED THE POLICE" section? It can be directly next to the "WAR STORIES" section. That way we can re-tell of eluding the police while we were out street racing.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 PM

This is a conversation forum, not a read only webpage. If you have a problem with someone’s posting, just ignore them. If they are violating the site rules, report them.
Want to know who said this? And no i'm not trying to drag him in on this but because it was stated in a way i couldnt duplicate and i didn't want to steal this thunder.

Here is the mystery quoter

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...9&postcount=14

That should be how we treat every thread, no matter what topic.

Last edited by Cobalt_SSTuner; 09-04-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned

Very good post

Last edited by brickerenator; 09-04-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM

thank you!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM

wow some people get really butt hurt over things that have not a damn thing to do with them.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

Live and let live
Old 09-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by IonFeright
wow some people get really butt hurt over things that have not a damn thing to do with them.
And yet you can be banned for a political thread but talk of illegal activity is perfectly fine.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Most of the stories in the section in question is pure BS and we keep it open to members only for that reason. I am willing to consider changes to the section if someone can make a good argument keeping both sides in mind. I am also willing to assign a moderator just to that section providing someone has the good argument I just mentioned.

Now another small point. Youtube and Streetfire are full of street racing crap and they don’t remove it to my knowledge.

Keep this thread clean or it will end here
So if the section is for track-only wins, then there really isn't a need for it. We have a drag racing section, a road racing section, and an auto-x section (well road racing and auto-x are lumped together, but still).

If you, as you say, intended "War Stories" to be about legal track wins...then there wouldn't be other sections. Does that mean people shouldn't share their victories? Hell no. But for both those posting and the community as a whole it's best for each type of win to go in their own section. Drivers can share their runs and others can post up congrats or pointers for improvement if need be.

I think everyone is best served using the individual racing forums. If, say, I wanted to post up a particularly good auto-x event, I surely wouldn't go to war stories and start yammering on about PAX or classing or any of that garbage. Nor would "I ran a xx.xx at thus-and-such track." Ditto for posting drag racing runs/wins in other racing sections. I just think everyone gets more from posting their particular wins in their own sections.

FWIW, back in the early days there was NO mention of .net NOT condoning street racing. It only became an issue after the cvenom incident.

EDIT: As far as YouTube/Streetfire....I don't know that I'd really want to lump my forum in with either one of those. The issue most people have with street racing isn't that they feel stopping the threads will stop the activity. It's that allowing them to run rampant as they do here doesn't reflect on the website in a positive light at all.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
So if the section is for track-only wins, then there really isn't a need for it. We have a drag racing section, a road racing section, and an auto-x section (well road racing and auto-x are lumped together, but still).

If you, as you say, intended "War Stories" to be about legal track wins...then there wouldn't be other sections. Does that mean people shouldn't share their victories? Hell no. But for both those posting and the community as a whole it's best for each type of win to go in their own section. Drivers can share their runs and others can post up congrats or pointers for improvement if need be.

I think everyone is best served using the individual racing forums. If, say, I wanted to post up a particularly good auto-x event, I surely wouldn't go to war stories and start yammering on about PAX or classing or any of that garbage. Nor would "I ran a xx.xx at thus-and-such track." Ditto for posting drag racing runs/wins in other racing sections. I just think everyone gets more from posting their particular wins in their own sections.
Shhhhhhhhh....... thats just silly talk Cat, you should know better.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM

can't vote:

there's not a category for "who gives a ...."

Quick Reply: Remove War Stories Section?