Supporting Vendor Deals & Group Purchases For Supporting Vendors ONLY!

New header & down-pipe sale!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coopn8r
I like how the Black Redline Sounds with this header downpipe combo on the stock exhaust.. I was hoping that it would not sound bad and .. I'm not disappointed.. Great.
can i get one of these with a 3in downpipe and an exit to fit the dc sports catback?? if so im buying this
Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 PM

I'm sure if you tell him what the size of the dc CB is he can help ya. Yeah it's not nearly as loud as i thought it would be and i can definitely tell a power difference. I was really adament on not doing an exhaust because of the sound, but with this setup it seams the cat-back is what really regulates how loud your really going to be. I'm looking into selling my stock cat-back and getting a new cat-back made from Clear Image and seeing how that sounds.....
Old 06-05-2008, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by bobby71189
can i get one of these with a 3in downpipe and an exit to fit the dc sports catback?? if so im buying this
As long as the DC Sports cat-back bolts to the stock down-pipe, we can build our down-pipe to bolt to it perfectly. We can do the 3" down-pipe and reduce it to 2 1/2" at the factory 2-bolt flange. We can pretty much build you guys anything you want here.

Thanks for posting the videos.

I'll be working on pricing for our own "Clear Image Automotive" brand exhaust system. We will plan on using a Magnaflow muffler, resonator and tip with the tube bending, welding, etc. being done here. Our theory on stepping the exhaust tubing differs greatly from some other systems. I'll approach and explain this in another thread.

Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love that idea.. Blow out the Competition and.. get us some sound clips with your header/dp WITH the catback.. That sells a product..

Looking forward to seeing more.

-Matt.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by coopn8r
I love that idea.. Blow out the Competition and.. get us some sound clips with your header/dp WITH the catback.. That sells a product..

Looking forward to seeing more.

-Matt.
I must say, you guys are getting me friggin motivated! This is exactly what we were hoping for from the Cobalt, and Ion, communities. Give us your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc and we'll work hard to bring them to production.

We have a local owner bringing his car in Friday for product eval and developement. I'll just throw a couple things at you all for now:

1. American made 3" intake using 100% carbon fiber tubing. Here's an example of one we offer for the 94 - 96 Impala SS:
http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/...s/P1260001.JPG
2. American made 2 1/2" and 3" cat-back exhaust.
3. Something for both the manual & auto transmission.

Plus a couple other things of interest to you all.

Thanks again for all your support. We are starting to have fun now and that's what this is all about.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:32 AM

The idea of a carbon fiber intake hasn't been produced yet for either of these vehicles. For Clear Image to offer this along with the other mods currently available is a huge opportunity for us to buy good American parts at a good price! Each product they make touches the same hands and has the same hard work put into the idea as well as the fabrication. I've only good things to say about they're shop as well as the other people i've talked to that have done business with them. I can't wait to see what idea's they have in store for us! Neither should you!

Coop- i've been thinking alot about it and I personally want to try the 3" cat-back. I think this is something they could do and make it sound good. Like i said i was hesitant before with the other cat-backs out there but i think they can make this sound great as well as perform. We will see what happens!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am on the ropes if I would want a 2.5 or a 3" Catback.. If I get the 3" catback it is because I will have a 2.6 and 60's.. If I get the 2.5.. Its because I'm keeping same pulley and injectors for a while until future mods.. Hopefully I can get the 2.6 and 60's and make use of that huge as 3" full exhaust :P If not.. I'll stick with 2.5 :P :P

Auto and Manual Trannies? What? I'm curious.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 PM

there are too many loud catbacks. how about making a really good performing one with not a lot of noise. I like the idea of the header and dp with stock catback because of the volume of the sound..or lack there of.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by brandondrecksage
there are too many loud catbacks. how about making a really good performing one with not a lot of noise. I like the idea of the header and dp with stock catback because of the volume of the sound..or lack there of.
yea 04s exhaust is really quite!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 PM

Yeah my exhaust is alot quieter than 05's for sure! I didn't want to do the mod because of the noise itself. I like to keep the sound down.... but after seeing the dyno numbers and not having an annoying sound I want to see more with the cat-back. I'm hoping it won't be to incredibly loud but 05's exhaust actually sounds very good compared to alot of exhaust's out there. I do not want to have the image of a "Ricer" when i'm driving down the street. But it's very hard to take that away from any 4cyl motor. I think the velocity cone(05 doesn't have) really helped take the raspiness out and want to compare it to 05's once i get mine on. I'm also stuck between 2.5 or the 3inch. I want to add power later but don't want to do a 3in now if it's going to hurt me. This is a question i relayed to Dan. Hopefully he can give us some answers.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 PM

yea mines 2.5in that goes to a magnaflow with a 4in tip! yea! next time cars up in the air ill post pics
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 PM

Hey Dan, whats up? My name is Jason, and im friends with Adam and Dana down here in the fort lewis area. Adam told me you were looking to do some work on a SC. Just curious as to what you had in mind, and a price range.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:37 PM

I really didn't want to approach the exhaust subject in THIS thread, because THIS thread was started to advertise our header and down-pipe. However, since you guys have been talking about the exhaust, I'll share our theory on exhaust.

Not to compare a V8 to your engines, but most of my experience is with the LT1 V8 in the 94 - 96 Impala SS. Taking my experience from what I know works with a V8 and applying it to the 4 cycliner engine, I believe we can develope a high flowing exhaust that wont shatter the neighbors windows.

Let's start with the valves opening: rule of thumb is to maintain maximum exhaust gas velocity while allowing those exhaust gases to expand rapidly. Hence the header primary tubes and collector(s). Ideally the primary tubes will match the exhaust valve diameter exactly then quickly step up to a larger size. This keeps the velocity to expansion ratio close to ideal. However, it is not cost effective to build a stepped header, thus most companies, including us, will pick one primary size. With the NA Ecotec, the ideal size is 1 5/8". Its the happy medium between high velocity and rapid expansion. OK, moving forward... The collector is the next point of velocity and expansion. Again, in a perfect world a true merge collector would be used. But, a true merge collector is not cost effective thus a compromise is made. Hence the standard formed collector. It allows for a venturi effect to develope within the collector at the "merge" point of the primary tubes. This is also referred to as "Scavenging", which is simply vacating the exhaust gases; or pulling the exhaust gases out of the motor. For 1 1/2" 4 into 1 headers, a maximum of 2 1/2" should be used. Anything larger will cause velocity to drop off. At higher rpm's, there will almost always be a power loss. For 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" primary tubes, a 3" collector is the maximum size for a 4 into 1 header. OK, moving on... Next is the down-pipe, head-pipes, etc... They are directly connected to the header collector. The collector is "scavenging" exhaust gases and the down-pipe (head-pipes) need to allow for the "rapid expansion" of those gases. In my experience withmy own car, as well as many customers cars, a 3" collector is complimented with a 3" down-pipe (head-pipes). Follow me so far? For this example, we will remove the cat converters from the equation. Next in the exhaust stream is the muffler(s). By this point, exhaust gases have fully expanded and have started to cool down and condence. As this happens, velocity drops off (slows down). So, the outlet of the muffler is best reduced to 2 1/2". This allows the fully expanded, yet cooling, slower gases, to maintain velocity. Thus, further "scavenging" is created.
This is my theory based on my experience. It directly contradicts some other companies exhaust design and theory. As the customer, you need to be the judge. Do your research.

In a nutshell, we suggest the following exhaust for the Supercharged 2.0 engine:
1 3/4" header with 3" collector (4 into 1 design), 3" down-pipe, 3" head-pipe (into muffler) and 2 1/2" tail-pipe ( muffler back).

For the 2.2 and 2.4 NA engine:
1 5/8" header with 3" collector( 4 into 1 design), 3" down-pipe, 2 1/2" head-pipe (into muffler) and 2 1/4" tail-pipe (muffler back).

Both will allow for the highest velocity and rapid expansion while keeping the cost within reason.

Thanks for all your feed-back and enthusiasm.
I have to run for now. Short day for a change.

Please excuse and spelling errors. i honestly don't have time to proof read right now. I wanted to get this info posted before I left.

Originally Posted by 06 Cobalt_SS
Hey Dan, whats up? My name is Jason, and im friends with Adam and Dana down here in the fort lewis area. Adam told me you were looking to do some work on a SC. Just curious as to what you had in mind, and a price range.
Dana is going to be here tomorrow with his Ion. It would nice to have a Cobalt here at the same time. Basically, R&D for several products. i would rather not say publicly at this time. Feel free to join him tomoprrow. I'll be here at 10:00 AM.

Thanks.

Last edited by ClearImageAuto Dan; 06-05-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 PM

id be there but i probly cant make it til after 12 probly same or later for jason....
Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 PM

For tomorrow, we really just need onje Ion and one Cobalt. Not that you're not welcome or anything... But we wouldn't need your car tomorrow.

OK, I need to go...
Later everyone.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 PM

aww!!! i feel so left out! i really just wanted to say hi
Old 06-06-2008, 09:18 AM

Yeah bring me lunch... i might wanna take a nap in ur car because i just got off work from a 10 hr shift and meeting at the shop in 3.5hrs.... sleepy time....
Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Hey dan, i just sent in my deposit for the GP thru paypal. just let me kno you got it

and how many people we up to?

Last edited by PuSha050; 06-06-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

i want to know if the paypal address is dan.ferraro@clearimageautomotive.com.

This looks like an exhaust i want.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by rrutter81
i want to know if the paypal address is dan.ferraro@clearimageautomotive.com.

This looks like an exhaust i want.
the paypal address that i got off their website was daniel.ferraro@comcast.net
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Dan, its jason. My problem is I dont get off work until 3 today, is there any way maybe we could get together later this weekend, Or possibly after work tonight?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Thanks for your deposit and for everyone elses interest.

My paypal address is:
dan.ferraro@clearimageautomotive.com

The other address: daniel.ferraro@comcast.net will also work.

Tonight after work is fine. Looks like there are plenty of differences from the Cobalt to the Ion. We have Dana's car here now.

Up-dates coming later.
Thanks.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 PM

Just called in and spoke to Dan and Beth. Both are very personable people. I can't wait for these to enter production so I can get this on my car!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Yeah I was here with Dan when you called. He is very happy to see that people are gaining interest and he is looking into doing a 3" catback. I'm very excited to see what this will sound like and will also post videos of just the header/CB with stock catback and then another with the the Clear Image cat-back and magnaflow muffler and 2.5" tip. We are also working on a few other performance parts that will be for the cobalts/ions. Given some testing to see the performance differences. Keep your eyes peeled for this Company. They are very active with the community and wanting to do whatever they can do get us good quality American products.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:55 PM

These guys have great quality prod...dont hesitate...always a good idea to go with them

Quick Reply: New header & down-pipe sale!