Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Koni shocks and struts. Info and how to adjust

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
ok so i just ordered a set of koni yellows

what else do i need? i'm on ssc springs and shorter moog endlinks and gonna replace my CAB's while i got it torn down.

do i need to modify the tower caps? or modify anything else for that matter? what are these front strut inserts the OP is talking about?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are plenty of youtube videos on how to modify a strut for a Koni insert. Have a look there. Since you have a Cobalt, your strut mounts need no modification. Make sure you have a good way of cutting the strut. Do not crush it, or cut it too short!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey Warren follow up with Jeff Wong at PPUSA? over two months and still waiting, money up front. Good news is he stroked front struts I purchased off root beers car and sent to him so he could check and then asemble into the core front housing; so we will see results. In the meantime, I cant beleive we have missed all this time to check out re valved front and rear konis.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
There are plenty of youtube videos on how to modify a strut for a Koni insert. Have a look there. Since you have a Cobalt, your strut mounts need no modification. Make sure you have a good way of cutting the strut. Do not crush it, or cut it too short!
I dont get what i need to cut though? the koni strut?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor

koni front is an insert. it is inserted in a stock strut housing.
get stock strut and cut top off housing to remove guts. Use a pipe cutter to do so. Then carefully drill hole in bottom of strut. insert koni INSERT (get it?) and then bolt up at the bottom.

etc.

Warren I think a delrin ring for the bottom of the insert or something better than Delrin may stabilize the insert better. I have a set of wrecked koni inserts that the bolt hole at the bottom got screwed up, I may fool with it and let you know what I find.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Hey Warren follow up with Jeff Wong at PPUSA? over two months and still waiting, money up front. Good news is he stroked front struts I purchased off root beers car and sent to him so he could check and then asemble into the core front housing; so we will see results. In the meantime, I cant beleive we have missed all this time to check out re valved front and rear konis.
Is this for Allan? Still think the off the shelf ones would have sufficed for now

I don't have any pull w/ Jeff. First time I emailed him was when you introduced me. Why is it that shock companies are universally so slow when you're just a small timer.

Keep me updated though. Curious how they turn out. I like replacing my Konis after a while, since I beat them up pretty good. Limited track events this year though Maybe singular. Let me know if you're still coming down to Baltimore.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

ok now that makes so much more sense to me lol!! i was like wtf are these inserts, i thought they were something like an add adjuster option to have on the tower... anyway, thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM

So for other folks, I seem to have nuked 1 set of fronts and 1 set of rears. I'm hoping that running appropriate springs, which DON'T bottom out all the time will keep this from happening.

I knew they were gone because in the front, the knob wasn't turning the same amount of turns it used to, and in the back, I could feel the car misbehaving. The front one went soft. I bent the rear one somehow. Probably curb hopping at the track. This happened some time ago, but I though I'd share it in this thread.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor

Is this for Allan? Still think the off the shelf ones would have sufficed for now

I don't have any pull w/ Jeff. First time I emailed him was when you introduced me. Why is it that shock companies are universally so slow when you're just a small timer.

Keep me updated though. Curious how they turn out. I like replacing my Konis after a while, since I beat them up pretty good. Limited track events this year though Maybe singular. Let me know if you're still coming down to Baltimore.
for sure going down to DE, for Steddys wedding and some updates on his car, may 22 through 26.
no clue with Jeff he is a nice guy

Alan wants the best. I hate to fail. add headlight retrofits and carbon bodywork to the shock companies are universally slow lol.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor

So for other folks, I seem to have nuked 1 set of fronts and 1 set of rears. I'm hoping that running appropriate springs, which DON'T bottom out all the time will keep this from happening.

I knew they were gone because in the front, the knob wasn't turning the same amount of turns it used to, and in the back, I could feel the car misbehaving. The front one went soft. I bent the rear one somehow. Probably curb hopping at the track. This happened some time ago, but I though I'd share it in this thread.
ya make sure folks know it didnt happen with YYZ lol...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You have to cut the OEM strut to put the Koni insert in it.

Woah, sorry, had the page up for a while before I responded!

Last edited by r1owner; 03-26-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

wait so do i have to cut the old strut for the rear as well? man i was hoping this was gonna be a simple bolt on deal...

i got mine yesterday and all they are are the struts, no extra pieces. can i install like this?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by riceburner
wait so do i have to cut the old strut for the rear as well? man i was hoping this was gonna be a simple bolt on deal...

i got mine yesterday and all they are are the struts, no extra pieces. can i install like this?
They're inserts like everyone is telling you. It even says so on the Koni pages, and the places that sell them say so too.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're inserts like everyone is telling you. It even says so on the Koni pages, and the places that sell them say so too.
Weren't the rear ones bolt-on?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by MathieuG89
Weren't the rear ones bolt-on?
Yes, because they are shocks. The fronts are struts.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

so the rears bolt on or do i need to cut and sleeve the old strut? sorry guys i feel like a real ******* sometimes but most of the indepth things i'm doing to the car its the first time so i wanna make sure i understand it to the fullest i can before getting too far into a project and not being able to finish it
Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
so the rears bolt on or do i need to cut and sleeve the old strut? sorry guys i feel like a real ******* sometimes but most of the indepth things i'm doing to the car its the first time so i wanna make sure i understand it to the fullest i can before getting too far into a project and not being able to finish it
You're mixing paradygms.

The fronts are inserts to the struts. The rears are not struts, just shocks and they bolt right on.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

ok thank you right on
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

You bet. I just got a set of rears. Got to put them on this weekend.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
You bet. I just got a set of rears. Got to put them on this weekend.
Tell me how it works out for you. I'm planning on changing the rear too.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

I'm going to a track day on the 12th. I won't know until then, unless there's some sort of difference that I don't expect when just driving back and forth to Dunkin Donuts in the morning.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

cool lemme know how it goes when u do it i'm doin it saturday... maybe expect a pm from me lol

u still on stock fronts?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
I'm going to a track day on the 12th. I won't know until then, unless there's some sort of difference that I don't expect when just driving back and forth to Dunkin Donuts in the morning.
Night and day difference, even on the street if you are running stiffer springs, and a big rear bar.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

cool lemme know how it goes when u do it i'm doin it saturday... maybe expect a pm from me lol

u still on stock fronts?
Stock front TC struts, and...

Night and day difference, even on the street if you are running stiffer springs, and a big rear bar.
... YYZ v2 springs and hardcore bar. With John's LCABs.

I'm going to try to put the rears on Sunday. Depends on the weather.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Quick question. I am in the process of putting the front strut inserts in and noticed what appears to be hydraulic fluid coming from the adjustment screw up top. Is this normal?

TIA.

Quick Reply: Koni shocks and struts. Info and how to adjust