War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Stock LS1 vs Infiniboosted SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glhs379
i am old enough to buy beer, and I drink alot of it

i don't know how we jumped from a stock ls1 to a modded ls2?

but i will run you, but if we do 40, i will have to have my drag radials mounted, from 60 I can do street tires.
lol i was only messing with you bud. my car isnt really too comparable to a stock ls1 fbody unless all you compare is e.t. A set of slicks and they can pretty easily dip into the 12's with good track prep. My car on the other hand wants to wheel hop itself to death and i make it up on the back half
Old 03-24-2010, 11:08 AM

^ ill make you up on the back half
Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by restonSS
dont start with me mike! im holding your new cobb access port in my hands right now! since you rode the r6 to class.... whats stopping me from loading a tune in the wrx and beating the **** out of it all the way to campus!?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 AM

^ maybe the fact that i have the key and the spare keys are in the car! haha. anywho; ls1 vs bolt on ss/tc? i think the only chance the balt has is if its and A4. anyone have any personal experience?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:48 AM

mother effer you got me. ps why is your spare key locked in the car? thats a recipe for disaster. well the only experience i have is that i pulled pretty equally on your cobalt (when i was pre tune) to a stock ls1 ws6. the ls1 hung in way better above 120 though, even when you were using meth. In all honesty i think it will be a pretty good race between a tuned ss/tc and manual ls1 f-body. A 2001-2002 would most likely win by a little (factory ls6 intake manifold, slp lid, and cat back) and a 1998-2000 would most likely lose by a little. The ws6 i raced was 99.

then again franks 1999 t/a (reston knows who i'm talking about) yanked the living **** outta my car when i was bone stock. he only had pacesetters, cat back, 4.10's and a tune. aka less than $1k in mods and he ran an 11.9 on drag radials. pretty safe to say that would no longer be a fair race
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM

I still want to run you anyway if your anywhere local just to see what happens

and there is no way on earth a bone stock ls1 f body would pull me or even be next to me from a roll, I just don't see it happening.

I had a 99 z28 m6, and stock is was jsut not that fast period. best it ran with a lid and slowmaster catback on stock rs-a's was 13.29 at 106, and thats not even factory stock. my ss/tc would have destroyed my z28 in that trim.

in that trim it dynoed only about 300 wheel hp or so at the same dyno BYT(nick) just used to dyno his. I KNOW is have more wheel hp than 300, so again I say, my 2900lb car will pull a bone stock 106 mph ls1 f body which weighs 3420 lbs or so, or that is what my old car weighed without me before the 12 bolt swap on a cat cert scale.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That seems odd that his car cant outrun a stock LS1. My E85 M62 car with a passenger just pulled a good friend's 99 LS1 Z28 M6 with intake, SLP catback and tune by about 2 cars from 40-110 the other day, i has teh vids to prove it if anyone would care to see...
Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
The ss/tc should pull on a low roll, but the higher the roll, the more the lsx car will shine. If you were to roll race from 100 and see who is going get to 170+ the fastest (the cobalt most likely wont even get there), it's pretty obvious who will win. We wont even go into a dig race. and 100% METH, that is true. A 40mph roll is a dead spot in the 4speed autos. Thats a great mph to race them from if they arent aware of where their dead spots are
I'm talkin bout the manual version..

Havn't had the pleasure to run a auto one yet.. :/

Originally Posted by InfraRedline
That seems odd that his car cant outrun a stock LS1. My E85 M62 car with a passenger just pulled a good friend's 99 LS1 Z28 M6 with intake, SLP catback and tune by about 2 cars from 40-110 the other day, i has teh vids to prove it if anyone would care to see...
I had a very similar result

though this ls1 ss had a intake & slp catback.

vid available as well

Last edited by 100% METH; 03-24-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-24-2010, 03:59 PM

I still want to run you anyway if your anywhere local just to see what happens

and there is no way on earth a bone stock ls1 f body would pull me or even be next to me from a roll, I just don't see it happening.

I had a 99 z28 m6, and stock is was jsut not that fast period. best it ran with a lid and slowmaster catback on stock rs-a's was 13.29 at 106, and thats not even factory stock. my ss/tc would have destroyed my z28 in that trim.

in that trim it dynoed only about 300 wheel hp or so at the same dyno BYT(nick) just used to dyno his. I KNOW is have more wheel hp than 300, so again I say, my 2900lb car will pull a bone stock 106 mph ls1 f body which weighs 3420 lbs or so, or that is what my old car weighed without me before the 12 bolt swap on a cat cert scale.
Your elevation was high, can't drive or you just had a dog then. Of course you just had a lid so maybe 10whp over stock.

And my LS1 weighs 3220 btw.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:15 PM

regardless of what your saying, my 99 z28 stock would not outrun my current car, period, end of discussion.

last time i checked 3220 is more than 2900, is it not? and i told you how much over stock i was, i actually have dyno results with the lid/catback

why is that so hard for the people on the board to swallow?

an my offer still stands, any stock ls1 want to run me from a roll, please bring it on!

but i will find one local and door the **** out of it and get it on video.

this thread is a joke now.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VT05ls2goat
I'll race you next time i'm home from school with my 3900lb pig with me in it. it can be from any speed you want. loser buys beer and pizza. wait.... are you old enough to buy beer?
See people like you need to watch. I already went faster than you and out trapped you by almost 6 mph. I now have even more and my car is quite a bit faster than it was.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:44 PM

lol funny i had a boost leak coming from my block off plate. i ran josh in the ls1 when i was on 21 psi before i got infiniboost and i took him a car length in the ls1. the block off plate was all fucked up so i capped off the hks and am now running the stock bpv. so surging and no leaks now... i made a post the next day on Sunday when i fixed the leak.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/my-bov-story-208921/

and slo i appreciate u wondering what was wrong instead of making it a big deal thanks... well be running after i data log in about a month

lol funny i had a boost leak coming from my block off plate. i ran josh in the ls1 when i was on 21 psi before i got infiniboost. the block off plate was all fucked up so i capped off the hks and am now running the stock bpv. so surging and no leaks now... i made a post the next day on Sunday when i fixed the leak.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=208921

and slo i appreciate u wondering what was wrong instead of making it a big deal thanks... well be running after i data log in about a month

Last edited by pookie025; 03-24-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
See people like you need to watch. I already went faster than you and out trapped you by almost 6 mph. I now have even more and my car is quite a bit faster than it was.
yea but you fail to see that i now have a clutch that wont slip. I was also at island dragway's street night where there is literally NO track prep and i was on street tires. I couldnt cut a 60' better than 1.95 which is terrible for my car with a set of 275 kdw2's. Theres PLENTY of bolt on gto's into the 11's with fat drag radials, good track prep, and good da. I'm sure as my car sits right now, sans street tires, i would be able to get an 11.9 out of it at atco (track is known for good prep and a negative da)

did you run your time on summer tires, drag radials, or slicks?

I'm not saying your car wouldnt be a good match from a roll because for all i know, it just might be (maybe even beat me in a certain window of mph), but comparing trap speed between a cobalt and a gto is about as apples to oranges as it gets. light fwd vs heavy rwd and a curved vs flat torque curve. To simply think that because your car trapped 6mph higher makes your car faster is plain ignorant. All it proves is that your car spins longer, gets grip, then rockets off to a higher mph.

Do i even bother talking about the i/h/c set up that will be on my car this season? I know what i need to watch out for, and that is very few cobalts on this board. Are some fasther, yes, but very few. Not to say that i still dont like them
Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 PM

regardless of what your saying, my 99 z28 stock would not outrun my current car, period, end of discussion.

last time i checked 3220 is more than 2900, is it not? and i told you how much over stock i was, i actually have dyno results with the lid/catback

an my offer still stands, any stock ls1 want to run me from a roll, please bring it on!

Calm down. I didnt say your Z28 would beat your car, I said it was capable of better times. You did say how much over stock you were, you said lid and Flowmaster. And I was saying how much mine weighs since you said yours weighed 3450 or whatever. I don't know why you are taking such offense and getting hurt here. If I was close I'd run you. Or are you just trying to prove that your modded Cobalt can beat a stock LS1?

This thread was a joke to start with.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by supernova1972
Calm down. I didnt say your Z28 would beat your car, I said it was capable of better times. You did say how much over stock you were, you said lid and Flowmaster. And I was saying how much mine weighs since you said yours weighed 3450 or whatever. I don't know why you are taking such offense and getting hurt here. If I was close I'd run you. Or are you just trying to prove that your modded Cobalt can beat a stock LS1?

This thread was a joke to start with.
yea idk why he's getting all upset either.

in order to make him happier, lets use more "technical" terms from here on out.

i.e.

"faster" and "quicker"
faster: traps higher in the quarter mile; better roll racing car.
quicker: runs a faster et, most likely due to 1/8th mile times as far as this discussion is concerned, but is not necessarily running through the traps at as high of a mph.

can we all get along now?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:51 AM

yea but you fail to see that i now have a clutch that wont slip. I was also at island dragway's street night where there is literally NO track prep and i was on street tires. I couldnt cut a 60' better than 1.95 which is terrible for my car with a set of 275 kdw2's. Theres PLENTY of bolt on gto's into the 11's with fat drag radials, good track prep, and good da. I'm sure as my car sits right now, sans street tires, i would be able to get an 11.9 out of it at atco (track is known for good prep and a negative da)

did you run your time on summer tires, drag radials, or slicks?

I'm not saying your car wouldnt be a good match from a roll because for all i know, it just might be (maybe even beat me in a certain window of mph), but comparing trap speed between a cobalt and a gto is about as apples to oranges as it gets. light fwd vs heavy rwd and a curved vs flat torque curve. To simply think that because your car trapped 6mph higher makes your car faster is plain ignorant. All it proves is that your car spins longer, gets grip, then rockets off to a higher mph.

Do i even bother talking about the i/h/c set up that will be on my car this season? I know what i need to watch out for, and that is very few cobalts on this board. Are some fasther, yes, but very few. Not to say that i still dont like them
I was on stock clutch as well. Couldn't get better than a 1.89 60 foot. I will admit after about 115 the tc falls off pretty quick.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM

I was on stock clutch as well. Couldn't get better than a 1.89 60 foot. I will admit after about 115 the tc falls off pretty quick.
but was your clutch so bad it was literally burning up? lol i barely was able to limp my car home
Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 AM

I just love how you keep saying "door the ****" out of one like you are going to beat it by 7+ cars or something... You would maybe put 2 or so cars on one to 110, and I would love to see you back that up at a 1/4 track. With a half way descent driver the table would be turned. Just use the terms correctly please... You would door the **** out of a stock Civic, you would edge out a stock LS1!

Tyler
Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM

cmiller; i can promise from any real roll unless you have a big upgraded turbo, you may be ahead by a car tops for a short period of time but the GTO will yank you at low speeds (up to 60 or 70mph), then you may be able to play catchup from 70mph to 125 ish, but after that, the GTO will yank the living **** out of you until you hit your mediocre top speed of 160 mph while it keeps going to 180 plus. if youre on stock turbo it wont go above 160 if much. ive seen many vids of it so dont try and say no. so you can beat a GTO from a 70 to 120 roll congrats. if you were to run from 0 to top speed youd get demolished. not trying to be a dick or call you out, but it IS the truth. stock turbo cobalt ss/tc cant keep up with a fully bolted and tuned gto; itll have its bright spots, but wont win.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Ill race your rex from a dig.

My balts been 173 trying to tail a zr1, did it get there as fast as either of the lsx powered cars ive owned? not quite

Last edited by 09whteSSpssssh; 03-25-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM

but was your clutch so bad it was literally burning up? lol i barely was able to limp my car home
Only once it slipped so bad it was two hours before I could even stand the smell to sit in it lol.

cmiller; i can promise from any real roll unless you have a big upgraded turbo, you may be ahead by a car tops for a short period of time but the GTO will yank you at low speeds (up to 60 or 70mph), then you may be able to play catchup from 70mph to 125 ish, but after that, the GTO will yank the living **** out of you until you hit your mediocre top speed of 160 mph while it keeps going to 180 plus. if youre on stock turbo it wont go above 160 if much. ive seen many vids of it so dont try and say no. so you can beat a GTO from a 70 to 120 roll congrats. if you were to run from 0 to top speed youd get demolished. not trying to be a dick or call you out, but it IS the truth. stock turbo cobalt ss/tc cant keep up with a fully bolted and tuned gto; itll have its bright spots, but wont win.
You wont need a big turbo. You could pull one pretty hard on a 2871. We must not have very good drivers around here cause the fastest header cam gto I seen ran 11.99 at 118mph. I was only replying to one persons comment and in no way think I will beat all or every bolt on and tune gto's. Theres a tune only gto that I can really say I smashed from 40-100, but that is the shinny spot for the tc.

Last edited by cmiller8006; 03-25-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM

Only once it slipped so bad it was two hours before I could even stand the smell to sit in it lol.

You wont need a big turbo. You could pull one pretty hard on a 2871. We must not have very good drivers around here cause the fastest header cam gto I seen ran 11.99 at 118mph. I was only replying to one persons comment and in no way think I will beat all or every bolt on and tune gto's. Theres a tune only gto that I can really say I smashed from 40-100, but that is the shinny spot for the tc.
like i've mentioned in earlier posts, i dont think it's that you have crappy drivers, rather it being all about track prep and da. I'm not sure what tracks you have out in ohio, but we have atco near us which has a very negative da in good weather and has great track prep as well. The fastest bolt on only ls2 (if i'm reading the five billion charts in our drag racing section correctly) is an 11.6 @ 116 and the fastest cam only car (stock heads and bottom end) is 11.27 @123. As fast as that is, i bet a there could be a couple stock turbo ss/tc's that would pull on the bolt on car from XXmph to XXXmph. Very plausible imo. The cammed ls2 is just a different story and wouldnt be a fair comparison to a stock turbo car.

What i dont get, is why are there so many people trying to get so much out of the LNF cars instead of using an LSJ car? Bang for the buck, i understand the LNF car will be quicker, cheaper power, but dont LSJ cars have infinitely more potential right now because of the LNF's direct injection? (This is a serious question, i'm by no means trying to troll and be a d-bag GTO owner and stir the pot)

Anybody, feel free to chime in
Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 09whteSSpssssh
Ill race your rex from a dig.

My balts been 173 trying to tail a zr1, did it get there as fast as either of the lsx powered cars ive owned? not quite
youll race me from a dig. in a cobalt? quarter mile or to what mph?

i call bs on you going 173 if youre on stock turbo btw. i actually call bs if youre on stock suspension too; bc youd be f ing retarded to do such a thing.

on a 2871? pffff. maybe then youll pull a car or something. you guys still have that MASSIVE fuel problem so youre capped at the hp/tq level all day. with a 2871 it just wont fall flat on its face above 5k. itlll be a way better race; and the cobalt may even win, but it wont pull a fully bolted and tuned gto "pretty hard".

Last edited by restonSS; 03-25-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 PM

like i've mentioned in earlier posts, i dont think it's that you have crappy drivers, rather it being all about track prep and da. I'm not sure what tracks you have out in ohio, but we have atco near us which has a very negative da in good weather and has great track prep as well. The fastest bolt on only ls2 (if i'm reading the five billion charts in our drag racing section correctly) is an 11.6 @ 116 and the fastest cam only car (stock heads and bottom end) is 11.27 @123. As fast as that is, i bet a there could be a couple stock turbo ss/tc's that would pull on the bolt on car from XXmph to XXXmph. Very plausible imo. The cammed ls2 is just a different story and wouldnt be a fair comparison to a stock turbo car.

What i dont get, is why are there so many people trying to get so much out of the LNF cars instead of using an LSJ car? Bang for the buck, i understand the LNF car will be quicker, cheaper power, but dont LSJ cars have infinitely more potential right now because of the LNF's direct injection? (This is a serious question, i'm by no means trying to troll and be a d-bag GTO owner and stir the pot)

Anybody, feel free to chime in
I have Norwalk here, which is top notch, dont get much better. Even on street night its preped like crazy. I think the lnf is still the way to go. Once they do finally get some more of the ECM figured out it will be nice. They can already minipulate things to raise the pressure and the stock DI has handled over 500 at the wheel.

youll race me from a dig. in a cobalt? quarter mile or to what mph?

i call bs on you going 173 if youre on stock turbo btw. i actually call bs if youre on stock suspension too; bc youd be f ing retarded to do such a thing.

on a 2871? pffff. maybe then youll pull a car or something. you guys still have that MASSIVE fuel problem so youre capped at the hp/tq level all day. with a 2871 it just wont fall flat on its face above 5k. itlll be a way better race; and the cobalt may even win, but it wont pull a fully bolted and tuned gto "pretty hard".
If I can hang with or put a car on a bolt on and or tune gto with 310-330 approximate whp and only make good power from 3-5800rpms. I think that it will be a good margin for the tc pushing 390whp all the way to 7000rpms. I am not sure but it sounds right to me. The fuel problems can be delt with by a little tricking or a hybrid hp/trifecta tune.

Last edited by cmiller8006; 03-25-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 AM

I have Norwalk here, which is top notch, dont get much better. Even on street night its preped like crazy. I think the lnf is still the way to go. Once they do finally get some more of the ECM figured out it will be nice. They can already minipulate things to raise the pressure and the stock DI has handled over 500 at the wheel.

If I can hang with or put a car on a bolt on and or tune gto with 310-330 approximate whp and only make good power from 3-5800rpms. I think that it will be a good margin for the tc pushing 390whp all the way to 7000rpms. I am not sure but it sounds right to me. The fuel problems can be delt with by a little tricking or a hybrid hp/trifecta tune.
well with that much hp itll only be worse from a dig. and also all the cobalt owners usually shut the video off after then get beat to 120-130 mph. with the hp youre talking about the race will need to go higher. and GTO's pull up there REAL hard (any lsx for that matter). which is why im saying maybe youll win by a car but the GTO's top speed is still higher. and dude i owned a cobalt; i dont own a gto. im not being biased. just realistic.

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 vs Infiniboosted SS/TC