2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

MP81's Supercharged L61 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah - that's possible... I was actually thinking of putting the jack under the motor and pushing it up.

My car has about 35k miles on it...

Here's the 6-Pin to 8-Pin conversion I'm using, Gene.

8 Pin

Pin A (Dark Green): TP Sensor 1 Signal
Pin B (Light Blue/Black): 5-Volt Ref 2
Pin C (Black): Low Reference
Pin D (Purple): TP Sensor 2 Signal
Pin E (Yellow): TAC Motor control 1
Pin F (Brown): TAC Motor control 2
Pin G (Gray): 5-Volt Ref 1
Pin H (Black/White): Low Reference

6-Pin
Pin A (Brown): TAC Motor control 2
Pin B (Yellow): TAC Motor control 1
Pin C (Tan): Low Reference
Pin D (Dark Green): TP Sensor 1 Signal
Pin E (Gray): 5-Volt Reference
Pin F (Purple): TP Sensor 2 Signal

8-Pin >>> 6 Pin

A > D (Dark Green)
B > E (Gray)
C > C (Tan)
D > F (Purple)
E > B (Yellow)
F > A (Brown)
G > E (Gray)
H > C (Tan)

B/G both go to Pin E (Gray)
C/H both go to Pin C (Tan)
Old 06-27-2009, 02:04 AM

Ahh - late update, cause I went to see Transformers 2 (I really should be sleeping, but I had caffine, so I'll just wake up later... ). AWESOME movie, by the way.

Started off the morning searching for a soldering iron/gun - my dad remembered he had an electric soldering gun buried in his truck. I dug it out - and it too, was dead. (either that or, we're too impatient for it to heat up). He went out to buy a new one, and I started on the car.

I got the new upper radiator hose on:

Here's the soldered up injector harness with the new connectors for the Lucas #42s I'm running:

Undid all the loom to move the MAF over to the driver side of the car (which is where the new MAF location is):

Bought some wire loom and put it over the MAF wires:

Can't even tell:

Cut one rib off my Stage 2 belt (so it can fit the Crank, AC and alternator pulleys):

Belt "installed":

Wired up the Heat Exchanger Pump:

LSJ Brake Booster Hose:

Wiring in the fuse box for the Heat Exchanger Pump - Add a Fuse, turns on with the fuel pump:

All closed up - once again, very clean, I must say:

Misc pictures of the car:

Old 06-27-2009, 02:04 AM

Installed the Supercharger...and noticed this...

There's about 1mm of clearance between the pulley and the "core support". I should be able to wrap my hand around the STOCK pulley - and this one is smaller than stock. We (Gene and I) theorized that, perhaps, the car was in an accident - but I could find NO traces of a repair, anywhere. Talking to a friend of mine, he told me to check the front bumper, and we confirmed that it was the original - as the build date was 10 days before my car (built, shipped, installed - makes sense)...So, I'm really not sure what the hell to believe. Tomorrow, the area meets my ball-peen.

Ignoring the clearance issue, it looks really nice:

Getting dark, cleaning up early to go see Transformers 2:

Big thanks goes out to Gene today, first for ordering that new boost nipple for me - and also for taking the time to sit there and help me figure out what the hell is with my car...perhaps we'll never know...

Any ideas guys? I'm 99% sure it wasn't in an accident - motor mounts, possible? Roll Restrictor? It has 35k on the clock, and was a rental when I bought it...
Old 06-27-2009, 03:44 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that is not a clearance issue on the car, thats is something some cobalts get, mne barely clears, i have maybe 1" from the pulley and the car, dragonfire's 2.4 he has to bend that part of the car(its aluminum) so that he woulnd thave any issues, i recommend u do the same, just draw out where u need more room, remove the blower, and hit it with a hammer a bit..it will be unnoticedable, on mine i had to bend a part aswell, but u wont notice it
Old 06-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Thanks for posting the diagram. I certainly appreciate it!

It is good to hear others have had this issue with clearance. I've read a lot of stuff about installing the supercharger and I've never seen anyone mention this. Maybe I overlooked it?

MP81 scared me, lol, so I test fitted mine quick and I can wrap my whole hand around it. I have about 3 or more inches between the pulley and that area... but I have G5 GT.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Sweet. Okay - makes me feel a TON better about this now.

Gonna go pull the blower off and whack that area down.

Thanks JN2!

This is one tough piece of metal...it doesn't help that the area is too small to get any power into the hammer...

Last edited by MP81; 06-27-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bust the grinder out on that ****?

how many of you guys have actually been able to run the stage 2 belt? it seemed incredibly small and impossible to get on so I'm running the stock belt.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Jn2

Originally Posted by IonNinja

how many of you guys have actually been able to run the stage 2 belt? it seemed incredibly small and impossible to get on so I'm running the stock belt.
yeah, im running stock belt on my 3.0" pulley, the stgII is a pita to run...ill probably use it for a 2.8, but for the 3.0 ill stick to stock
Old 06-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Anyone try an OS tensioner pulley w/ stock belt on smaller than stock pulleys? Going to give this a shot when 3.0 pulley goes on tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Jn2

Originally Posted by mtbrent
Anyone try an OS tensioner pulley w/ stock belt on smaller than stock pulleys? Going to give this a shot when 3.0 pulley goes on tomorrow.
dont need it for 3" pulley, the regular pulleys work fine, so does the stock belt, i use the stock lsj belt fine on my 3" pulley
Old 06-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
dont need it for 3" pulley, the regular pulleys work fine, so does the stock belt, i use the stock lsj belt fine on my 3" pulley
Interesting. Guess I'll have a brand new OS tensioner pulley for sale then lol.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
yeah, im running stock belt on my 3.0" pulley, the stgII is a pita to run...ill probably use it for a 2.8, but for the 3.0 ill stick to stock
seems like the stage 2 belt would be impossible to run unless you had like a 2.5 pulley

im thinkin one of the other pullies on the system is bigger than on the LSJ...like the crank pulley so its too small on our cars.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
seems like the stage 2 belt would be impossible to run unless you had like a 2.5 pulley

im thinkin one of the other pullies on the system is bigger than on the LSJ...like the crank pulley so its too small on our cars.
i run a stg2 belt on my 2.9. I had belt slip with the stock belt at 2.9
i used the pulley boys tool to push the tensioner down though....i feel like i can use a stg2 belt with a 3.4" pulley using that tool...lol

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Thanks for posting the diagram. I certainly appreciate it!

It is good to hear others have had this issue with clearance. I've read a lot of stuff about installing the supercharger and I've never seen anyone mention this. Maybe I overlooked it?

MP81 scared me, lol, so I test fitted mine quick and I can wrap my whole hand around it. I have about 3 or more inches between the pulley and that area... but I have G5 GT.
regarding the clearance...i couldnt fit the 3.4" on that i was initially going to run. Luckily, I had a 3.0" on hand

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 06-27-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Well, hopefully I can use my Stage 2...I don't want to have to buy another belt...

Update for today, left for Hartland, MI at like 3, had fun out on the lake.

After finding the blower pulley was very close, if not hitting, the, what I'll call the core support, we marked up the area that needed to be clearanced (you can see the two rub marks inside the lines):

Also decided I would go ahead and file these down a little more, here's before I started filing today:

The Blower now fits with about 5mm clearance, instead of 1 - the belt is a tight fit, but it fits, especially since it'll be under tension:

Primered the spot, just so I don't have bare metal exposed:

The engine bay as it sits now, sans supercharger and belt tensioner:

Not the best paint job, but it works. It's hard to get nice light even coats when you have an area to work in the size of the can...

You can see the filed down engine lift mount in this shot:

Also...got this...:
Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Jn2

should be fine, i runa 3.0 on the stock belt, the stgII is a 3.065
Old 06-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
i run a stg2 belt on my 2.9. I had belt slip with the stock belt at 2.9
i used the pulley boys tool to push the tensioner down though....i feel like i can use a stg2 belt with a 3.4" pulley using that tool...lol
really? that thing must be really helpful then...

because when we had the tensioner at what i thought was fully compressed the stg 2 belt fit just over the hub.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
should be fine, i runa 3.0 on the stock belt, the stgII is a 3.065
And a stage 2 belt? Cause that's what I have...

I think I'll get my buddy to do the tensioner while I get the belt on the tensioner...he's pretty strong.

Last edited by MP81; 06-27-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:58 PM

Talking

As Casey mentioned, that is what the pulley boys tensioner tool is for. I modified the LSJ front engine lift bracket to work with my setup so that I could use the tensioner tool. I test fitted the tool tonight and it collapsed the tensioner pretty well and held it there. I'll go ahead and try to install the belt tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Jn2
Well, I am a die hard GM man and their engineering normally is done for a reason. To ME, and as I said, just me, if they want a smaller belt, there is a reason. The stock belt is fine for someone who cannot get the stage 2 belt on... but since it is suggested by GM to do so, I will be using the pulley boys tensioner tool to fit the correct belt.

Last edited by Gene Culley; 06-27-2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Jn2

yeah thats cool, the stock belt works fine for me, i see 13-14psi, so im not slipping...if i go 2.8 ill get the stgII belt
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Jn2
yeah thats cool, the stock belt works fine for me, i see 13-14psi, so im not slipping...if i go 2.8 ill get the stgII belt
It would be interesting to see a dyno run to verify. You might actually not know that it is slipping by the SOTP.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 PM

I'm gonna make that Stage 2 belt fit, haha.

A friend came over and beat that area in more (easier for him than me, because it's not my car), and it has quite a bit more clearance.

I primed the area again, and just sprayed the first coat of Olympic White over (isn't that the same as Summit White? It seems to match pretty good).
Old 06-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Jn2

It would be interesting to see a dyno run to verify. You might actually not know that it is slipping by the SOTP.
well if its a 14psi pulley, and im gettng all 14psi, than i dont see how it would be slipping, plus i asked a few lsj's, im not the only one running stock belt on a 3"
Old 06-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Jn2

well if its a 14psi pulley, and im gettng all 14psi, than i dont see how it would be slipping, plus i asked a few lsj's, im not the only one running stock belt on a 3"
Old 06-28-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jn2
stock belt on a 3" worked for me. like i said, i didnt have belt slip till i dropped to my 2.9"
You will be able to see a drop in boost and hear the belt slipping if you have belt slip
Old 06-28-2009, 10:26 PM

Decided to play it safe and not have to worry about slip, if it even would have occurred. $20 OS tensioner pulley went on today with the 3.0 pulley without any bloodshed( thanks to Streetdreamz), just a little effort to get the tensioner pushed down. To each his own I suppose....

Quick Reply: MP81's Supercharged L61 Build