ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

My build wants your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sunfirejoe
well i wonder if a 2.4 crank would fit a 2.0L block, hmmm something i might have to look into, but i dont think they have a forged crank
I knew you were gonna ask that...talked about as well. Read the whole thread and you'll see why:

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267
Old 12-07-2006, 02:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so me wanting to get a larger liter displacement really looks diffictult at this point in time, dropping in a forged l61 really isnt gonna do much, but also there is balancing for a reason, to get rid of those odd lifts

so whats the deck height of a 2.4 le5 and a 2.0 LSJ and a 2.2 l61, cuz really, there no real difference in the bottom, other than cranks and pistons and rods is there,
Old 12-07-2006, 02:50 AM

so me wanting to get a larger liter displacement really looks diffictult at this point in time, dropping in a forged l61 really isnt gonna do much, but also there is balancing for a reason, to get rid of those odd lifts

so whats the deck height of a 2.4 le5 and a 2.0 LSJ and a 2.2 l61, cuz really, there no real difference in the bottom, other than cranks and pistons and rods is there,
Honestly, I don't know this answer.

I see you're joining the forum (hehe) so just post this question in the Hybrid forum.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:55 AM

yah man i wanna sorta pioneer something, i knwo ppl are way more knowleged than i am, but im sure i can throw in some bacon and shake things up, cuz i really truly think more torque will come out of my motor with more displacement

posted over there i can stop whoring this thread now
Old 12-07-2006, 03:08 AM

ok

(fyi, check your pm box on there)
Old 12-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yah man i wanna sorta pioneer something, i knwo ppl are way more knowleged than i am, but im sure i can throw in some bacon and shake things up, cuz i really truly think more torque will come out of my motor with more displacement

posted over there i can stop whoring this thread now

why pioneer anything when we all know the 2.2 liter is capable of well over 1000hp. just do a swap and do your build from the gm book. i can tell you i've totally wasted well over 5000 "pioneering" a blower swap and wish i never tried that crap. i could've spent that money on this new turbo motor and had one hell of a beast.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_balt
i'm sure after a dozen people start throwing rods and getting spun bearings they'll take a step back and realize just because the engine is capable of revving high, doesn't mean it's ok to do it to a daily driver.
Well, that's why I'm upgrading the rods and just because I set the rev limiter at 8k, doesn't mean I plan on hitting every time I race someone. This is exactly why I made this post. I want people that have experimented with this stuff to give me inputs. Thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedSSBaltSC
I want people that have experimented with this stuff to give me inputs. Thanks

well considering my family has owned race track for over 20 years i can assure you that i have seen more $30,000+ motors blown because of revving too high, than because of all other reasons combined. the only one close to that reason would be because a lubrication system failure, ie: oil pump, blow out too much oil from the can, etc... and some of those lubrication failures were due to the drivers running too high rpm levels and the engine not lubricating itself properly

i believe alot of people are seeing the 9000rpm turbo engine on the land speed cobalt, but what they don't realize is that car might be able to make (3-4max) 7 mile passes and the motor is trashed. and this is with a totally built motor, not just one with a new valvetrain on.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:11 PM

Would Bates Oil Pump Gears take care of the lubrication issue at higher RPMs?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Yeah, the dude should just turbo or upgrade the supercharger and start adding boost until either he get's to his satisfactory limit OR 'til he blows a piston ring or snaps a rod. If he's going to build the motor from ground up anyways..why doesn't he just see what the stock block can do. It would be helpful to others with this car, and certainly couldn't hurt the engine builder any, since he could save money if the motor holds up.

If he wants 8K+ RPM on the street AND reliably, he shouldn't have bought a Chevy. He should've bought a Honda or maybe a Toyota (not sure about those though). With that being said people..the car could easily hold up to much more power than GM "claims" it can do. I mean c'mon. There are many, many Honda blocks that originally had 150 or less HP that are now running 400+ and even up to 600hp in that same stock block. The same can be said about Toyota, the SRT-4 is even puttin out 400+ on stock blocks. It's al in the tune I believe. I really think it will take alot less parts and alot more tuning for the SS/SC to put out like people are wanting it to.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fueledpassion
Yeah, the dude should just turbo or upgrade the supercharger and start adding boost until either he get's to his satisfactory limit OR 'til he blows a piston ring or snaps a rod. If he's going to build the motor from ground up anyways..why doesn't he just see what the stock block can do. It would be helpful to others with this car, and certainly couldn't hurt the engine builder any, since he could save money if the motor holds up.
Why in the hell would I just try to break **** so other people would know how much it can handle. Don't post stupid ****, there's no need for that, c'mon. I started this thread to hear from ppl that have done this stuff to their car and the 8k red line isn't set in stone. From the sounds of it, I should keep it at 7
Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 PM

If he wants 8K+ RPM on the street AND reliably, he shouldn't have bought a Chevy. He should've bought a Honda or maybe a Toyota (not sure about those though). With that being said people..the car could easily hold up to much more power than GM "claims" it can do. I mean c'mon. There are many, many Honda blocks that originally had 150 or less HP that are now running 400+ and even up to 600hp in that same stock block. The same can be said about Toyota, the SRT-4 is even puttin out 400+ on stock blocks. It's al in the tune I believe. I really think it will take alot less parts and alot more tuning for the SS/SC to put out like people are wanting it to.
Stock block is one thing but are they running on the stock internals as far as Pistons, Piston Rings, Rods and Crankshaft? If so, for how long are they lasting?

As far as the SRT-4s, stock, they come with Mahle Forged Pistons and high quality connecting rods, this is why they can handle this much power from the factory.

Everything else, I agree with.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:47 PM

I can confirm the completely stock Honda's for sure. Granted, the ones upward of 500+hp don't last too long, perhaps half a season at most..but 300whp turbo Honda's on stock blocks are very, very common and quite reliable. Might I add these blocks aren't low compression either, usually 10.1+...they've just used a good tune like Hondata or AEM EMS.

As for the threadstarter..I never wanted you to think it's a stupid post at all, and I'm sorry you have to think that. But the fact is that stock is flat out better than all the thousands of dollars you spend on parts trying to make the motor do something it's not designed to do. That's what race inspired engine builders do. They make cars do things they were not designed to do...and every time the motor comes out victorious because the engine usually doesn't last much more than a few races, and in top fuel racing...no more than a single pass. So don't sit here and tell me how ignorant or uneducated I am because I'm suggesting you see what the stock block can do before going to town on it. I'm willing to vouch for the GM engineers before I vouch for $4k+ of RACING parts put into a street car.

Nevermind that I ever said anything..just tryin to help you from a different direction.

For future reference NJHK, when I refer to the word "stock", typically I mean "as is from factory".
Old 12-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

that is a sick build dude you should have some good numbers to show us...how much does all that cost and stuff?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:51 PM

I can confirm the completely stock Honda's for sure. Granted, the ones upward of 500+hp don't last too long, perhaps half a season at most..but 300whp turbo Honda's on stock blocks are very, very common and quite reliable. Might I add these blocks aren't low compression either, usually 10.1+...they've just used a good tune like Hondata or AEM EMS.

As for the threadstarter..I never wanted you to think it's a stupid post at all, and I'm sorry you have to think that. But the fact is that stock is flat out better than all the thousands of dollars you spend on parts trying to make the motor do something it's not designed to do. That's what race inspired engine builders do. They make cars do things they were not designed to do...and every time the motor comes out victorious because the engine usually doesn't last much more than a few races, and in top fuel racing...no more than a single pass. So don't sit here and tell me how ignorant or uneducated I am because I'm suggesting you see what the stock block can do before going to town on it. I'm willing to vouch for the GM engineers before I vouch for $4k+ of RACING parts put into a street car.

Nevermind that I ever said anything..just tryin to help you from a different direction.
I feel sorry for their engines...I wouldn't attempt anything that high.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by intense_SS
that is a sick build dude you should have some good numbers to show us...how much does all that cost and stuff?
Bdwarr already has 7k into his. I don't have that much into it yet, but I only have half my parts ordered.

FUELEDPASSION: I do appreciate all your inputs and do understand that making more power does cost and can be dangerous. I do trust GM engineers very much. Someone build a cobalt on striclty gm parts and put down over 500hp.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:06 PM

No harm done...just disagreement between us..but I was basing my idea's on a 350hp, 8k rev-limit LSJ. I personally don't think the LSJ needs much to meet those requirements. Actually, I think 7K is plenty for 350hp. Again, just my opinion. Good luck to your build.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

No harm done...just disagreement between us..but I was basing my idea's on a 350hp, 8k rev-limit LSJ. I personally don't think the LSJ needs much to meet those requirements. Actually, I think 7K is plenty for 350hp. Again, just my opinion. Good luck to your build.

woot woot.... 364 @7000 right now. and we finally have a turbo guy coming to tune my car tomorrow revs are coming down and the boost is going up if he feels comfortable with it, we might go ahead and crank the boost to 28psi hopefully the engine will hold together with the new pistons, so far on the dyno this car has blown twice lol.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 PM

hly **** any final words on your dyno
Old 12-20-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I feel sorry for their engines...I wouldn't attempt anything that high.

Well, when you already have a turbo kit, tuning accessories, etc. and you've already got the pistons, rods, and new bearings for your turbo build...but already have the turbo on the OEM motor..naturally Honda tuners will up the boost in excess of 12psi and make 400+hp. Some last months if not years...others last days if not weeks. It really depends upon the condition of the motor when you start putting real boost to it. Such as compression test results, bearing conditions, clearances, and of course the tuning, and whether or not it's a safe tune.

Theoretically, an LSJ w/ about 30,000 miles on it would be ideal to test to it's limits in order for other owners to get an idea of it's boundaries, at least for now while the R&D is still relatively limited. You see my point was to push it to it's limits while it is stock..given the fact that your already planning to rebuild the motor regardless.