2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

engine finally gave

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by selfinfliction
take off that POS tvs and put a turbo on it now

and make sure they look at the sleeve closely, it doesn't need a hole in it to be fucked up
id like to go turbo but ill prolly stay tvs cuz its different and its hard to sell the supercharged parts
Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by brian.olsson
so, your aggreeing with what chevycobaltss3 just said, just don't want to admit it is all,
now im not slamming anyone but from how he explains things he is saying the plug did most of the damage when the plug isent what caused the piston to melt most of the people on here probably dosent know how or why a piston can melt and the information is somewhat correct but it is very poorly explained as to how and why the failure happened in the engine

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
Sir that be part of the plug that exploded... I'm tell u guys it was the fact you used autolites lol that's not detonation and afr was good.. but wow.
Well we know fueling was a issue lol since the stuff was added without being tuned.. but the was caused by the plug mainly.... Fueling helped it
Originally Posted by Area47
you can crank over 30psi on the stock head gasket. i hit 32psi at 8100 rpms on a 2.5 pulley with stock head bolts. didn't lift the head or pop anything.

there is an underlying issue somewhere else that needs addressed.
you should listen to him

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
i'm sure you have seen my valve cover. one on the back of the valve cover and one coming off the oil cap. all -10AN
ive seen it you have a realy clean setup

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 12-16-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
if you think the plug caused that then you are way off that piston is melted fuel got past the top ring then it was ignited fractured the piston when the piston fractures it starts melting because you expose the part of the piston that isent hardend so each time the fuel ignites a little more melts away all the shiney rough spots is from the strap of the plug being beat around inside of the cylnder
Wait, why they heck arent these pistons through hardened. Its really cheap to through harden aluminum, and its retardedly expensive to only harden 1 surface (if its even possible on aluminum, I dont think it is since to do it normally you have to just do a surface treatment like carburizing, which you cant do to AL). They are through hardened, or not hardened at all.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ill get my 2 cents worth in here.

Detonation
Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.
Pre-ignition
Pre-ignition is defined as the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anytime something causes the mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the spark plug event it is classified as pre-ignition. The two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

I started a new thread for everyone to read and learn.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/gene...nition-267519/

Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 PM

Both of those would leave more of a mark on the top of the piston, well kind of. My theory is that the ground strap broke off the plug and welded itself to the piston, then it created a hotspot there which caused detonation to be focused in that area.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol listen..... I know what im talking about. Ops setup was not finished. Hes running e85 with 80 s and don't have a upgraded pump or didn't have the reference fuel system. Then they put it in and didnt log it for me to tune. So there for it can be many things. I feel it was the plug, reasoning is I've seen this before on many other cars. Grounding strap breaks and gets squished within the wall of sleeve and piston. Or the fact the plugs were.misfiring causing washing of the wall which therefore caused the explosion to the piston. Melting, boom, same thing. Autolites are junk. And motocraft should throw them away..[/B]
now im not slamming anyone but from how he explains things he is saying the plug did most of the damage when the plug isent what caused the piston to melt most of the people on here probably dosent know how or why a piston can melt and the information is somewhat correct but it is very poorly explained as to how and why the failure happened in the engine

you should listen to him

ive seen it you have a realy clean setup
Old 12-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol listen..... I know what im talking about. Ops setup was not finished. Hes running e85 with 80 s and don't have a upgraded pump or didn't have the reference fuel system. Then they put it in and didnt log it for me to tune. So there for it can be many things. I feel it was the plug, reasoning is I've seen this before on many other cars. Grounding strap breaks and gets squished within the wall of sleeve and piston. Or the fact the plugs were.misfiring causing washing of the wall which therefore caused the explosion to the piston. Melting, boom, same thing. Autolites are junk. And motocraft should throw them away..[/B]
Shut up james u dont know ****!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vander Nars
Shut up james u dont know ****!
Uh oh...you didn't...someone's gettin it PITB....
Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Uh oh...you didn't...someone's gettin it PITB....
Piitb for the win

Last edited by Vander Nars; 12-16-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
All I can say is I love this forum. The debates are great
Old 12-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

nobody has said you dident you just dont explain things very well
Old 12-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Lol... Hey now... Hahaha....
Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Anyways he's building so now it'll be time for more power
Old 12-16-2011, 04:50 PM

Yes, the engine is getting built, and all the weak points that have been talked about so far are getting fixed, espically the fuel issues, and the spark plugs, probably have him go back to some NGK's, oh and a tune from chevycobaltss3, before its raced with the new engine.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Lol... Hey now... Hahaha....
lol

Yes, the engine is getting built, and all the weak points that have been talked about so far are getting fixed, espically the fuel issues, and the spark plugs, probably have him go back to some NGK's, oh and a tune from chevycobaltss3, before its raced with the new engine.
i would look into replacing that sleeve or you could end up with some carnage like in my sig photo and the sleeves are only 0.060 thick or get a zzp block
Old 12-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

Lol I'm so confused. You guys plan on changing to a different Tuner after new engine?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 PM

lol

i would look into replacing that sleeve or you could end up with some carnage like in my sig photo and the sleeves are only 0.060 thick or get a zzp block
Yeah, we were talking about it, just need to get the engine out and have the machine shop check.it out
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Lol I'm so confused. You guys plan on changing to a different Tuner after new engine?
Lol, oops, my bad, I meant have you.tune it before he goes out and races it, I like you tunes, I need to.stop being lazy and have you revise the one in my truck now that the low octane fuel is out of her,
Old 12-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Lol so is Ure truck the one I did? I didn't get any logs for it lol
Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 AM

Lol so is Ure truck the one I did? I didn't get any logs for it lol
Yeah, I've just been too busy to run some logs, I'll get to it one of these days,
Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM

Started doing some work on carstedt's valve cover, waiting on parts to do everything else, so time for some look good stuff, had some left over orange paint from when we did his rims.

this is with no clear coat

two coats of clear, just sprayed it, still gonna do a few more,

Old 12-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Beauty
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM

An Idea of what she'll look like on the head,

Looks good with or without the cover

Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

was there any damage to head. to me it seems there would be!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:50 PM

was there any damage to head. to me it seems there would be!!!!!!!
no their wasn't that I could tell, but we're sending it to euthanasia for some porting and new valves, so he's gonna check it out and let us know for sure,

Quick Reply: engine finally gave