How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: Debadging the rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clean always wins IMO. Badges are like tattoos, none looks great and original these days...one sure, two Maybe, 3+...what are you trying to prove? Same thing with stickers....WHAT are some of you thinking? Almost always Hondas but I've seen some cobalt sinners out there! "I'm going to conveniently list on the side of my car an inventory of product upgrades so potential thieves can much quicker single me out". DUH! You're not outwardly supporting the companies you have purchased from.....and SHOULDN'T unless they are sponsoring you for race specific reasons. It's macho poser posturing IMO. Oh yeah, badges.....debadge FTW! LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 11:33 AM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I pulled all the badges off the rear on mine. I just haven't had the time to take any pics due to bad weather and I want to take the SS badges off the side.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MannyP
some people prefer the clean look more than alot of emblems
like me.

now if I had an SS I would maybe use just those SS emblems. I'd probably paint them or sind something creative for them... but everything else can go...

Originally Posted by SUKXOST
clean always wins IMO. Badges are like tattoos, none looks great and original these days...one sure, two Maybe, 3+...what are you trying to prove? Same thing with stickers....WHAT are some of you thinking? Almost always Hondas but I've seen some cobalt sinners out there! "I'm going to conveniently list on the side of my car an inventory of product upgrades so potential thieves can much quicker single me out". DUH! You're not outwardly supporting the companies you have purchased from.....and SHOULDN'T unless they are sponsoring you for race specific reasons. It's macho poser posturing IMO. Oh yeah, badges.....debadge FTW! LOL
haha you have a great point... that's why I pulled my cobalt emblems off cuz it's not like somebody is going to mistake my car for a Lamborghini or something. everybody knows it's a cobalt. but hell if you like the emblems then by all means leave them on... alot of people don't like them though. and that's what this thread is for and therefore if you want them left on your car you shouldn't bother reading this thread.

and I think advertising companies on the side of your car is kinda ricerish. I can understand a couple of them like if you have an AEM intake ands it came with the stickers hell I'll slap it on under the hood somewhere, just like I have a K&N filter and the decal was in the box so what the hell..

I see alot of guys with companie names on thier cars and they don't even have the parts...

I see lots of the STREETGLOW banners on cars with no neons... and so fourth...
hell there's a few cars running around here with APC banners lol.
A guy I went to school with had a 2001 VW Bug with a fart can and NOS stickers all over it... guess what... no NOS lol

Last edited by black-balt; 11-29-2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM

He must have been the typical poser that is trying to make the women think he is fast with stickers on it. Hell, they don't even know what they mean so why not trick em into thinking he's Billy Badass! HA
Old 11-30-2008, 12:32 PM

He must have been the typical poser that is trying to make the women think he is fast with stickers on it. Hell, they don't even know what they mean so why not trick em into thinking he's Billy Badass! HA
lol Yeah maybe the women didn't know but everybody in my autoshop class knew.

he had the NOS stickers and I think an Injen sticker and some small APC stickers... it was a stock ass bug with a fart cannon and a missing headlight lol.

after he wrecked the bug he got an eclipse that he thought was fast as hell but the motor was so screwed up that I lined up next to him in my 2.2 cavalier and beat him... and then of course came the ricer excuses... "Oh I missed 2nd" ect.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:48 PM

So...I talked about how a clean rear end looks better and still had not debadged my TC....so I thought I better shut up and do it...here are some pics along with how I did it: It was like 50 degrees and windy and I did this in my garage with the door open. I tested a couple ideas on how to remove everything. enjoy

The canvas:

Using the womans hair dryer I applied some heat on low for about thirty seconds and used a drivers license to start the pealing...then with my fingers I simply pulled at the corner very slowly but fairly hard and peeled about the right 1/3 off....the the same on the left side until it simply peeled off with the below result:

Then I simply peeled off the rest...sometimes having to roll it with my finger to get it off:

Here's the result(keep in mind I did not have and bug and tar remover today..will do that tomorrow)

Next I simply used my drivers license and slid it back and forth without heat until i cut all the way through...did not seem to do as well:

For the lettering i used no heat but used an amp sized screw driver and carefully pulled one corner up and with my fingers pulled them right off and peeled off the backing from the car.

I used this same process for the "turbocharged"badge and will be putting it in the same place I put the "supercharged" one on my SC two years ago:

No fishing line or floss was harmed in the making of this post.

I played with the turbocharged badge a lil[ just to give some fresh ideas that someone might wanna use:
IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/relkcib/b8d40e36.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by SUKXOST; 11-30-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM

All of those placed where you wanted to put the TC emblem just doesn't look right to me...

I'd say mount it under the hood somewhere or in the interior. just my .02
Old 11-30-2008, 08:59 PM

I DID mount it on the interior under the "SS" on the passenger side shown in one of the pics. I have it in the same place on my SC. Tradition now I guess :P I only sorta liked a couple of the spots but as I said it was just to give some people some ideas....get people thinking. I might order 1 or two from Chevy so I can put under the hood but gonna wait til I get my new mods installed.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM

Yeah to me I think the interior is the best place or under the hood but some people are different.

I used the old "CHEVROLET" emblem off of the back of my cavalier and mounted it under the hood of the balt... looks pretty sweet.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM

I DID mount it on the interior under the "SS" on the passenger side shown in one of the pics. I have it in the same place on my SC. Tradition now I guess :P I only sorta liked a couple of the spots but as I said it was just to give some people some ideas....get people thinking. I might order 1 or two from Chevy so I can put under the hood but gonna wait til I get my new mods installed.
dood i like it mounted on the door handle, it's different and it looks not bad at all, i'd be tempted to try it myself now
Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM

For the lettering i used no heat but used an amp sized screw driver and carefully pulled one corner up and with my fingers pulled them right off and peeled off the backing from the car.

YOU CANT BE ******* SERIOUS?!?!?!

a screw driver??? on a brand new car?!?!?! umm wtf
Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Settle down.... He didnt scratch it did he?

Im thinking about moving the chevy badge down a lil to cover the trunk lock
Old 12-16-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ericgt79

YOU CANT BE ******* SERIOUS?!?!?!

a screw driver??? on a brand new car?!?!?! umm wtf
The screwdriver was very carefully pushed between the letter and the tape.....NOT between the tape and the paint. I'm very careful and everything came off super easy once I got the corner of the letter up with the screwdriver. Just pulled it right off after that. I pushed it through further for purposes of the picture. I did the thread and showed and explained 3 or 4 different ways to remove the badges to specifically show how easy/difficult each was. Not a single scratch anywhere with any method.

Turtle Wax bug and tar remover works like a F'n gem to get the residue off!
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 PM

One slip and you put an ugly scratch in the paint. Always surround the emblem with a couple layers of 1 inch wide masking tape if you are using a metal screwdriver. They do make specific tools in plastic for just that purpose.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by atikovi
One slip and you put an ugly scratch in the paint. Always surround the emblem with a couple layers of 1 inch wide masking tape if you are using a metal screwdriver. They do make specific tools in plastic for just that purpose.
I know I know. It was in a pinch and you know how it is when you want to get something done and see how it looks..... could not help myself. Turned out awesome though.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Turtle Wax bug and tar remover works like a F'n gem to get the residue off!
well, lol i know wat my next purchase for my balt is gunna be, i gotta debadge it b4 i can rebadge it the way i want lol
Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM

my b, s, and t keep falling any advise to get it to stick?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM

3m double side automotive tape....
Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM

yeah, 3M is universally great or try some all-purpose spray adhesive.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 PM

sorry for kinda bringin this thread back but...

I was at Oreilly's and saw 3M adhesive cleaner... Is this the same as adhesive remover? Does it work for debadging, and has anybody used it?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by LastAXEL
sorry for kinda bringin this thread back but...

I was at Oreilly's and saw 3M adhesive cleaner... Is this the same as adhesive remover? Does it work for debadging, and has anybody used it?
No it wouldn't work for debadging, you need to physically pry or pull the badge off, no chemical is going to do that.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by atikovi
No it wouldn't work for debadging, you need to physically pry or pull the badge off, no chemical is going to do that.
Well I know that. But would it work as an aid to make the adhesive easier to pull apart or roll off?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Not really. For that get yourself one of those rubber eraser wheels you put into a drill. Does in 10 seconds what it would take 10 minutes with an adhesive remover.

http://www.etoolcart.com/replacementeraserast-400e.aspx
Old 02-09-2009, 01:05 AM

debadging

ok i want to do that but i want to put my cobalt letters right under my bow tie logo how do i do that
Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 AM

Best way I found is to use transparent scotch tape to temporarily secure the letters to the trunk while you stand back and check for level and make sure it's in the right position that looks good. You have to play around with a few times to get it just right. When you find the right spot use masking tape to tape a plastic ruler under the letters to use as a guide and use another piece of tape on the right or left side of the letters to mark that position. Then just peel off the backing, lay the bottom of the letters on top of the ruler and press on.

Quick Reply: Appearance: Debadging the rear