2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

I'm thinking I should start a build thread. Guess this is it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Ya I'm just jealous that you 3 are spending the cash on this. I will always wish I did also. I'm curious on the gears being under warranty with so few made, how do they replace them? What shifter are you all using?
its the same shifter, nothing changes as far as I know. and the make the gears if you need one replaced. they wont make the kits anymore, but they can still make you a gear if one breaks. just takes a few weeks.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Ya I'm just jealous that you 3 are spending the cash on this. I will always wish I did also. I'm curious on the gears being under warranty with so few made, how do they replace them? What shifter are you all using?
I thought about how much it would cost, and it is a decent amount for me. i figured i could keep getting new transmissions and breaking them, which would cost me a lot more, i could tune for lower power, which with these transmissions to avoid breaking u basically have to go down to mid 300s or they will eventually break, or just sell the car, i didn't like these options cause i love my car, and i put a lot of time into it, and i want to see my goals through, so only option was to do it right. it just takes time and a lot of overtime at work to do it, so i am doing it. I'm done doing things in a rush and half assed like i did it in the past with mods. this one is getting done right. if it has to sit in the garage for 2 years to be able to do it right then so be it .
Old 08-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Good call!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Good call man I might wait to install the f40 just so I can install the lsd on it
Old 08-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
Good call man I might wait to install the f40 just so I can install the lsd on it
u should send it to Jason to get him to reinforce it if he has an option to do f40s.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

That's the plan need to save up a bit first
Old 08-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

That's the plan need to save up a bit first
That's where I'm at to lol saved up for the kit, now to save up for the rest.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:08 AM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tomj77
I thought about how much it would cost, and it is a decent amount for me. i figured i could keep getting new transmissions and breaking them, which would cost me a lot more, i could tune for lower power, which with these transmissions to avoid breaking u basically have to go down to mid 300s or they will eventually break, or just sell the car, i didn't like these options cause i love my car, and i put a lot of time into it, and i want to see my goals through, so only option was to do it right. it just takes time and a lot of overtime at work to do it, so i am doing it. I'm done doing things in a rush and half assed like i did it in the past with mods. this one is getting done right. if it has to sit in the garage for 2 years to be able to do it right then so be it .
Why don't you just save a boat load of money and run an LSJ trans? Mine has never had an issue. Even on many track days. And people have pushed the 4.05 much further than I am.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelightning
Why don't you just save a boat load of money and run an LSJ trans? Mine has never had an issue. Even on many track days. And people have pushed the 4.05 much further than I am.
Thats what he had and broke. I'm also running a 4.05 on my setup on e47 now, I know it's not going to last forever, but I rarely ever do 3rd gear pulls unless I have to. Mine has a lot of bearing noise when coasting, but it always did, I'm not even sure 4.45 would hold up to our power for the long run. Only true solution is fully built trans for reliability.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

I had a 4.05 it blew up in a month on s257. U will blow ure up eventually. And then ull get another and by the time you realize u need something stronger you will have spent enough money to buy something that won't break. The reason you're is lasting is because ur lsj makes like 100 less tq than my ldk most likely is. Ur making stock turbo with a tune tq. If I was only making that it would have lasted.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 08VRSS
Thats what he had and broke. I'm also running a 4.05 on my setup on e47 now, I know it's not going to last forever, but I rarely ever do 3rd gear pulls unless I have to. Mine has a lot of bearing noise when coasting, but it always did, I'm not even sure 4.45 would hold up to our power for the long run. Only true solution is fully built trans for reliability.
Yup like I said, do it right. This will be the 3rd trans, and I don't plan on having to do it again. Or at least not for a long time. Blue doesn't realize he is only making 369wtq where the lnf and ldk on my current tune is most likely in the high 400s if not over 500. Guessing. Guys made his tq levels on stock turbo and tune. Even more, so that's the difference in the trans lasting on the lsj vs the lnf platform.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Got Bewst?

I have mine tuned so that I don't break a trans that's why. My dyno graph holds a nice flat tq curve all the way through to redline. If a hard hitting tune with a high spike of tq just to see a number is what you're after even a six speed won't save you forever...
Old 08-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

I have mine tuned so that I don't break a trans that's why. My dyno graph holds a nice flat tq curve all the way through to redline. If a hard hitting tune with a high spike of tq just to see a number is what you're after even a six speed won't save you forever...
Its not, I make sure the torque is reasonable. Didn't save my trans with the zfr with around 400 either. I'm not gonna turn my car into a honda though. Trans should be able to take it, thats why I went for built. Cause I don't want to neuter the car. I want it to be able to take the amount of torque it should be able to. But I guess we see it differently ur satisfied with urs , I want some more not for a number , don't really care about bragging rights, but for the pleasure of feeling it when I lut my foot to the floor.

Last edited by tomj77; 08-06-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 08VRSS
Mine has the same noise on 1st 2nd and 3rd gear
Old 08-06-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine has the same noise on 1st 2nd and 3rd gear
yeah im not worried about it. But now I'm running 21 timing instead of like 14 so I have to be really careful
Old 08-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Got Bewst?

Its not, I make sure the torque is reasonable. Didn't save my trans with the zfr with around 400 either. I'm not gonna turn my car into a honda though. Trans should be able to take it, thats why I went for built. Cause I don't want to neuter the car. I want it to be able to take the amount of torque it should be able to. But I guess we see it differently ur satisfied with urs , I want some more not for a number , don't really care about bragging rights, but for the pleasure of feeling it when I lut my foot to the floor.
Its not about a peak number that makes or breaks a transmission. It's all about how you have it tuned that makes or breaks it. You don't need to "neuter" the car to make it fast and reliable without spending an obscene amount of money.

But if ya wanna make it rain by all means haha. Was just a friendly suggestion.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Exclamation

My quaife Six speed builds will transfer that torque spike every time without breaking a sweat. As a matter of fact, the stock gearset has the ability to handle it as well. The tq spikes and hard hitting tunes are not the underlying issue. The main issues starts with build quality and/or high-milage wear and ends with a very sharp stress concentration on the 3rd drive gear caused by shaft movement/separation on an already misaligned driven gear. The good news is, those issue have already been remedied with custom parts.

Don't worry about the torque down low. Bring it in as fast at you want or until you start blowing the tires off. It's fine
Its not about a peak number that makes or breaks a transmission. It's all about how you have it tuned that makes or breaks it. You don't need to "neuter" the car to make it fast and reliable without spending an obscene amount of money.

But if ya wanna make it rain by all means haha. Was just a friendly suggestion.
Obscene amount of money? Lol I don't think you really grasping what he's getting. It is the strongest and likely the most efficient manual ecotec transmission ever in existence. And that's just one of the benefits.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:13 AM
Got Bewst?

Lol alright
Old 08-07-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Is the Quaife 6 speed gears really that strong? Would they be on par with the strength of a f40? Also, what do you do about the shifter? Thanks! Very interesting thread. I absolutely hate my 1st gear. I have 4.45's even so I feel like I'm using granny gear in an old 4x4

Originally Posted by LNFwagonSS
My quaife Six speed builds will transfer that torque spike every time without breaking a sweat. As a matter of fact, the stock gearset has the ability to handle it as well. The tq spikes and hard hitting tunes are not the underlying issue. The main issues starts with build quality and/or high-milage wear and ends with a very sharp stress concentration on the 3rd drive gear caused by shaft movement/separation on an already misaligned driven gear. The good news is, those issue have already been remedied with custom parts.

Don't worry about the torque down low. Bring it in as fast at you want or until you start blowing the tires off. It's fine

Obscene amount of money? Lol I don't think you really grasping what he's getting. It is the strongest and likely the most efficient manual ecotec transmission ever in existence. And that's just one of the benefits.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cw383
Is the Quaife 6 speed gears really that strong? Would they be on par with the strength of a f40? Also, what do you do about the shifter? Thanks! Very interesting thread. I absolutely hate my 1st gear. I have 4.45's even so I feel like I'm using granny gear in an old 4x4
Yes, with my reinforced bellhousing, and other proprietary parts and modifications, it's the strongest manual Ecotec delta trans available, so stronger than F40.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

building a box to ship the bloody thing takes just as long as taking it out of the car. lol
Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by cw383
I'm right there with ya, hate 1st gear, 1st to second letoff with the 4.45. We should get one of the 6 spd gearsets..... and just run 4.05's
Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I thought the quaife 6spd had 15% physically smaller gears made of the same metal. Wouldn't that make them weaker? Is there a fundamentally different design to them over the 5 spd? I.e. Most stress at the center of the shaft. Gear with most load and most traction and the least support still being the breaking point?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
I thought the quaife 6spd had 15% physically smaller gears made of the same metal. Wouldn't that make them weaker? Is there a fundamentally different design to them over the 5 spd? I.e. Most stress at the center of the shaft. Gear with most load and most traction and the least support still being the breaking point?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Quick Reply: I'm thinking I should start a build thread. Guess this is it.